Author Topic: chrome wont open  (Read 4489 times)

lovelessscott

chrome wont open
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:35:23 AM »
installed chrome and avast on pc after reformting and installing xp everything works fine for 2 days. then avast updates and maybe explorer updates. google chrome no longer opens. i try evrything including uninstalling and reinstalling google chrome. cant. it seems every google web page is now a security threat. sooo i go to system restore. the restore point i created called "fresh install chrome" (cause thats the only thing i had done to this pc at this point) is gone. every thing was working fine untill the avst update is there some kind of problem going on with avast and google chrome or ie updates? im currently reformating again due to this. how is a restore point gone that i created the day before. the only change was avast updating and a restart.

ady4um

Re: chrome wont open
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:34:13 AM »
Restore Points can be deleted by Windows (and by others). One reason for this is space. The space Windows reserves for System Restore is limited. Once a new SR point is not going to fit the free space (from that already reserved), then the older point(s) is (are) deleted and a new one is created.

There are other reasons too.

If you are reinstalling Windows again, I would suggest performing Windows Updates first. Once you reboot, keep applying Windows Updates and validating your copy of Windows, reboot and repeat the cycle, until no new Windows Updates are available.

Once all Windows Updates are applied, install avast, allow the changes, reboot, install chrome, reboot.

Please report back.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: chrome wont open
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:27:13 PM »
It does not seem to be necessary a reforming just because of this.
I suggest both a Google Chrome installation from scratch and avast! from scratch.

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

Did you have any other antivirus in the past in this computer? How did you uninstall it?
The best things in life are free.