Author Topic: Avast just stops scanning at a certain point  (Read 17563 times)

nrfw

Avast just stops scanning at a certain point
« on: February 19, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »
 I've had this problem for quite some time now:

Whenever I try a quick or full scan, Avast begins scanning normally, proceeds testing files and folders for about a minute and then stops. It doesn't freeze or crash, it just gets to a certain point and does not scan any further. The scan appears to be running, the run time counter keeps counting, but the scanning speed drops over time and the number of tested files/folders as well as the amount of data tested remain the same. I am able to pause and resume, stop and restart the scan, but the same thing keeps happening over and over again. This is even after I tried updating to the latest version and definitions.

Right now, the scan has stopped with the "Processing file" indicator showing "SVC: .NET CLR Data > ???". On restarting the scan it stopped when processing something called "SVC: .NET Data Provider for Oracle > ???". Previous times it happened when processing different things, but I noticed all of them start with the letters "SVC".

So... the scan feature is basically unusable for me, right now.
 Your help would be appreciated!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast just stops scanning at a certain point
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:07:53 PM »
- Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS)
- Which version..??
- OS..?? (32/64 Bit - which SP)
- Other security related software installed..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

nrfw

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
 I'm using Avast Free, program version 6.0.1367, engine and definitions version 120219-0.
 My OS is 64 bit Windows 7 with SP1.
 The only other security related software I have is Spybot - Search & Destroy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:21:04 PM by nrfw »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 02:21:50 PM »
The only other security related software I have is Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Please drop Spybot and try again.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

nrfw

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
 I uninstalled Spybot and tried again, but it didn't make a difference.
 Spybot's real time protection was never activated on my PC, by the way, I used it just for scans.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »
1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
Solved..??

nrfw

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 04:57:42 PM »
 I'm currently at step 3 and the problem seems to persist even after the uninstall.

The quick scan which is part of the setup just keeps running forever without actually scanning things after a certain point, just like before.

I checked in Task Manager and there seems to be no CPU use by any of the Avast processes, yet the progress indicator in the setup keeps moving and the text above it still reads "avast! is now performing a quick scan of your system. Please stand by..."

I will now attempt to cancel the scan, reboot and start a manual scan.
 I've done all the steps now, but unfortunately nothing's changed.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:05:11 PM by nrfw »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
What was your previous AV and how was it remove3d ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:46:27 PM »
+1
Also, which is your firewall?

I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 12:16:02 AM »
I think the devs. should be participating in this topic.

From a review about avast 7 beta1:

As the product is currently in beta stage of developing, plenty of glitches are likely to occur. For instance, in our case scanning would hang when dealing with SVC: .NET CLR Networking on Windows 7 64-bit. This is not a new problem, since the same issue was also present back in version 5 of the antivirus.

I'm just quoting here, as I don't have the knowledge nor the means to corroborate this in any way.

My guess is that this is the same problem, even when we are talking about different versions of avast.

nrfw

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 07:00:40 PM »
 Sorry for disappearing like that, it's been a busy week.

This is actually the first anti-virus program I've installed on my current PC. I had Avast for years on my old system, so when I got the new one couple of months ago, Avast was my first choice. The program was and still is up to date. The real-time shields are working fine and I've seen them stopping threats from time to time.

Also, which is your firewall?
The Windows built-in one.

I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
This is actually the way I reinstalled Avast when advised by Asyn above. Nothing changed.

From a review about avast 7 beta1:

As the product is currently in beta stage of developing, plenty of glitches are likely to occur. For instance, in our case scanning would hang when dealing with SVC: .NET CLR Networking on Windows 7 64-bit. This is not a new problem, since the same issue was also present back in version 5 of the antivirus.

I'm just quoting here, as I don't have the knowledge nor the means to corroborate this in any way.

My guess is that this is the same problem, even when we are talking about different versions of avast.
Indeed it seems like the same problem. They even say they've noticed the issue in previous versions.

I'm starting to think that it could be an OS related issue, specific to 64-bit Windows 7.
 Is the security in this version of Windows stricter than the other ones in some way?
 Could this be related to some kind of user rights issue or anything like that?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »
Could you discover the file that is being scanned at that time?
Maybe if you enable Report for "ok" files and see the last one logged. Then, the next would be the problematic one.
The best things in life are free.

Offline BTIsaac

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 04:53:39 PM »
Could you discover the file that is being scanned at that time?

It's right there in the original post. The SVC section, and always a different one.

nrfw

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
 I ran a couple of scans, here's the last line in their reports:
Code: [Select]
SVC: {601D6256-2773-49BB-B40F-ACB5E20C2E84} > ??? [+] is OK I hope this helps though, like I said, judging by the "Processing file" field it looks like the point at which the scanning stops is different most of the times.

bumblebee001

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 05:58:30 AM »
I too am experiencing the same issue. My OS: Windows 7 ultimate.

I am experiencing other issues. I am unable to use my Windows Live Mail program and other programs are not loading eg Java dependent programs which is why I am running avast in the first place.

I had Advanced SystemCare installed and thought it could be a problem so I uninstalled. No improvement other than computer loading a bit faster.