Author Topic: Avast 4.5 scan is very slow  (Read 4958 times)

Luis

Avast 4.5 scan is very slow
« on: December 29, 2004, 01:12:50 PM »
After I installed (autoinstalled) Avast 4.5 I did a thorough (including archive files) scan.  Total scan 100 gigabytes.  Winxp 1.6 ghz pentium
It took my computer some 15 hours to complete the scan.  I cannot say exactly how long the previous version took to do the same scan, but I'm sure it was less than half that time.
I have several very large media files which are scanned each time I do the thorough scan and they are the most time consuming.  Would it not be possible for Avast to remember which files it scanned previously and scan only those that have changed since the last scan.
It would certainly make things run a lot faster.
I'm otherwise very happy with the product and would not change it for anything.
Thanks in advance
Luis

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast 4.5 scan is very slow
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 01:17:36 PM »
Would it not be possible for Avast to remember which files it scanned previously and scan only those that have changed since the last scan.
That could become a very large database.

But why not just add files/folders (that you are sure of to be clean) to the exclusion list?

Beaky

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 01:21:24 PM »
Luis,

I raised the same issue the other day, although scan time not so long as yours  :o

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9843

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 01:41:49 PM »
Why do people set max possible scanning strenght and then wonder about long scan time?
Why my machine takes only few minutes to scan 100GB of files in Standard sensitivity without archives?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

lee16

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 01:47:13 PM »
Why do people set max possible scanning strenght and then wonder about long scan time?

They don't release that scanning a archived file will take longer then just a normal .txt file etc, this is why were here to explain it to them.  ;)

Why my machine takes only few minutes to scan 100GB of files in Standard sensitivity without archives?

But surley then you would  miss any viruses that could be in an archived file on your computer?

--lee

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 01:51:33 PM »
But then,virus in archive cannot do anything to my system :P Why wasting time and machine resources?

Beaky

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 01:52:45 PM »
RejZor,

Simple answer, you find something lurking on your hard drive with a online scanner (Bit defender) that Avast missed with default settings!

After that experience surley it is only commonsense to take extra precautions :P

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »
Well archive scanning is the biggest performance killer. Especially archives with a huge number of small files are bad.

It would be interesting to know how long it takes to scan your drive with thourough sensitivity but archives disabled.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 02:05:14 PM »
I'll test with Thorough and Archives...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 02:18:27 PM »
RejZor,

Simple answer, you find something lurking on your hard drive with a online scanner (Bit defender) that Avast missed with default settings!

After that experience surley it is only commonsense to take extra precautions :P

The decision is all about risk and potential threat. avast effectively has two types of scan on-access and on-demand.

The on-access resident scanner can be set to high or custom and can provide protection against newly created/modified files no matter what the file type. So do you need to have the on-demand scan repeat that exercise.

Archive files (not self-extracting .exe, which different and would be scanned) are by there nature inert until you open, then execute a file within them (two steps). When you open a zip file the resident scanner depending on settings should kick in, if not then, when you try to execute a file within. So there are several levels of detection/protection.

So if you do a thorough scan with archives included when you first get avast, and maintain a High or Custom level for on-access, new files should be scanned. This lessen the need for regular thorough, archive scans. I only do a weekly standard scan excluding archives and I don't feel overly at risk. Part of this can be down to not downloading all and sundry from the Internet or opening unknown attachments, basic common sense.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 02:20:28 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Beaky

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 02:26:46 PM »
David R ,

Thanks for the explaination about scanning archive files, so the risk of infection is fairly low?

Vlk,

Just completed a scan of C drive, setting thorough, no archive.

Result:

37, 879 files scanned in 20:50!

Luis

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 02:27:54 PM »
Attn Vlk.
It is far slower with archive off (than the previous version).  I started the scan several times w/o archives and then had to shut it down because I was going to bed.  With the previous version, I would start the scan sometime in the afternoon and it would be done by bedtime
Then the other day I decided to do one as thorough as possible (including archives), turn my speakers up and went to bed.  The idea was, if a virus was found then I would be woken up.  No virus found.
It started 5pm and ended next morning around 9am.
Now I have set it up to exclude my music and pictures forders.
But I still think it should not be a big problem to set up a database so that only new or modified files are scanned.

Luis

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 02:32:54 PM »
But on the other hand,why would you then need On-Access scanner anyway if the On-Demand would make difference between new/modified files?