Author Topic: Realtime scan of Firefox Cache  (Read 12928 times)

Fract504

Realtime scan of Firefox Cache
« on: December 03, 2004, 05:56:57 PM »
Hello,

how can I tell Avast to do enable a realtime scan for files without any extension (the cache files of firefox do not have any extension)?
I don't want to set avast to scan all files regardless of the extension, but just the default filetypes it recognizes plus the files without any extension.

I tried entering  , , in the additional list and I tried also a single dot in this list, but it does not do what I want.

Any help please?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 09:32:35 PM by Fract504 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Real Time Scan of Firefox Cache
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 07:13:29 PM »
How can I tell Avast to do enable a realtime scan for files without any extention (the cache files of firefox do not have any extention)?

I think you can't... follow this way i.e., add the * on the read/create/modify option of the Standard Shield. This provider will read the file as 'plain text' by this way.

You should ask for the 'High' sensitivity option.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 07:21:26 PM »
Firefox's extensionless cache, I believe is to make it less vulnerable to attack.

Unfortunately, this makes it difficult to scan the files efficiently, you either have to scan all created/modified files as I don't believe there is a way to include files without a extensions in the additional extensions window.

I don't think there is a way to define this with wildcards or otherwise.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Fract504

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 07:40:08 PM »
Hi folks,

thanks for your anwers. I think I will set the realtime scanner to scan all files created or changed. Maybe avast should include an option to scan files without extension in the next release.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 08:32:39 PM by Fract504 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 08:11:49 PM »
Maybe avast should include an option to scan files without extention in the next release.

It was discussed a lot in the past... It's not just an option... Huge amount of hours of programming...  :P

Fract504

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 08:25:54 PM »
Technical,

are you kidding? It cannot be that much work to test a filename for an empty extension. Even our "rival" Antivir scans extensionless files by default...

Still i can't decide if I should put the Standard Shield to "high" or if I can live with the unscanned firefox cache...

I don't know how dangerous it is not to scan the cache...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 08:31:51 PM by Fract504 »

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 11:57:34 PM »
Technical,

are you kidding? It cannot be that much work to test a filename for an empty extension. Even our "rival" Antivir scans extensionless files by default...

I agree with you...
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Realtime scan of Firefox Cache
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 12:27:18 AM »
I agree with Technical, ignorance is bliss. This will take some programming.

How do you go about selecting the correct scanning tool/packer for a file without a file extension, you have to identify the file type before you can check it for infection.

Or you have to do a simple text file scan (as Technical said) which is unlikely to be effective and miss infected files in packed/compressed form.

Yes some other programs do it, but how effective is it what type of scan are they doing. Just because they do it doesn't necessarily make it better.

Firefox has only got to 1.0 official release, you are surely not saying that time should be spent trying to follow beta developments of firefox when the the final version could be vastly different.

That is time and money wasted (programmers have to be paid), it stops regular development of avast, offered free to you and I for non business use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 01:08:05 AM »
I agree with Technical, ignorance is bliss. This will take some programming.

Try to respect the others opinions...
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

inthewildteam

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 01:16:07 AM »
@ Fract504,

if you have a fast connection, just set the cache to use 0kb from the tools/options/privacy in Firefox.  Only reason I can see for cacheing any net session would be for off-line browsing or if you use a dial-up connection to speed up page rendering.

I use F/fox here in the U.K. with the above setting on a cable connection with no hit on page load speeds.

Fract504

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 11:28:14 AM »
Hi inthewildteam,

I also thought about this possibility, because I am on a 2MBit DSL-Connection flatrate...

Maybe files without any extension should be scanned as html-type files, then at least we would get the files scanned that mostly enter our systems without any control: The Web-Pages. If the extensionless files of the firefox are not scanned, a vbscript virus can enter the system easily.

I think firefox does matter a lot, so some coordinated look into this matter should be done.

Of course I can set my realtime settings to high, but I don't see any sense in scanning .txt or .png files when they are written to the disk. Also a little more cpu is also consumed.

Scanning extensionless files as html/php/xml-type would definately be a step in the right direction. At least better than not scanning them at all ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 11:32:14 AM by Fract504 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 11:35:30 AM »
Scanning files without extension is already possible.
Just set the standard shield provider to scan "created/modified files" and select "all"

Fract504

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 11:39:50 AM »
Hi Eddy,

please read the complete thread. You will see that this possibility has been known to me from the very beginning and thats not the point anymore.

Another point with firefox and scanning is the memory cache of firefox. Who is responisible for scanning that kind of storage. I think currently no product scans this area. Just something to think about.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot

Fract504

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 01:27:05 PM »
Hi technical,

Thank you very much for posting these links. I didn't just searched good enough.

And sorry for reporting something "negative" of avast which can be improved. Seems that some people here want to hear: Avast is perfect. Nothing has to be changed.

I don't agree with that kind of fanatism.

And I'm not coming here to ask for. I am simply reporting with open mind. I am not forcing anybody to implement any improvements. At least the avast Home version is free and I'm totally happy that we got more then we could expect for that "price".

Update: Btw: I tried adding ? to the extension list and that works! So thanks very much for that info!!
Adding ? just scans files without any extension. Technical: Friendship again?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 02:08:53 PM by Fract504 »