Author Topic: Windows XP and 7 Boot problems after update  (Read 59335 times)

Croozer

Windows XP and 7 Boot problems after update
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:30:25 AM »
My systems booted fine today, after running for a period of time the blueish Avast! icon appeared in the lower left telling me of a update. As always I assumed it was a no brainier and proceeded to get the update. Let it install and reboot.

On both Windows XP sp3 and 7 sp1 on boot or reboot I get a window pop up telling me (see attached) Complete or update to Avast! 7 You are almost done. Press the finish button to complete the upgrade.

Avast! is NOT running until I do this. And I have to do it on every boot on both machines now.

HELP??????

(sorry if this has already been posted, I did search and was not able to find anything. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH AVAST! TILL NOW)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows XP and 7 Boot problems after update
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:48:58 AM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

Croozer

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:29:05 AM »
Will try and report back. (forget how I got the skin I have been using)
I am not that tech with computers, so this may take some time. Upgrades in the past have never been a issue. Seems odd that all the sudden on two machines.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:15:53 AM »
Skin? Avast skins? They're not there since v5...

Solemn

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:53:03 AM »
I can confirm that this issue is reproducable and leaves avast rather sluggish on boot-up even after clicking the "finish" button.  Had this happen on every computer that has Windows XP (32 bit).  This oddly did not happen on Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64-bit).

I did a bit of testing and the box that asks for you to participate in the avast community doesn't actually do anything.  If it shows up, it means you have chosen to not to participate beforehand, but even clicking finish with it ticked will not change that option (manually checked in the settings).  If this is ticked properly in the avast's actual settings, this window will pop up again anyway just with that question removed upon reboot.

When this window popped up on my Windows 7 x64 computer, it also asked for a chrome installation.  This was not visible at all on the XP ones--coincidence?

In any case this has proven rather debilitating on the computers I have to manage--had to tell everyone to essentially deal with it for the meantime as a clean install wasn't an option for them.

Croozer

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 05:18:15 AM »
Skin? Avast skins? They're not there since v5...

Like I said, I am not that tech. How was I to know? It just worked...you know? :P

After a shut down freeze (getting ready to do a clean install as suggested above) and having to do a HARD shut down/power off on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. On boot this time I again had the window pop up, this time the participate in the avast community was NOT an option to tick or untick. But instead I was now being asked if I would like to install Google chrome and make it my default browser. UM, no thanks. (sorry, no screen capture. Maybe when my XP box pops up ??)

Avast seems to be working, but my computer is VERY sluggish compared to what it was earlier this morning.

Croozer

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 06:40:08 AM »
DID NOT do a fresh install as suggested.
Things seem to be settling down. (knock on wood)
Been a happy user of Avast since version 4.
First time I have had ANY problems with it. And they are minor at that. More of a annoyance then a problem.

Back to on topic.
Rebooted many times. (cause I can..ha)
The check in my screen capture for "Participate in Avast! community" Stopped showing in the screen on boot.
Rebooted a few more times , page still continued to show up.

Then I got this screen [ATTACHED] (on both Win 7 & XP)

Selected neither, rebooted and it no longer shows up. BUT, both systems are very sluggish to boot. Once booted, everything seems to be running fine.

Solemn

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »
Hmmm, I've done quite a few reboots on one of the XP machines and haven't gotten to this yet.  I have seen the similar sluggish boot-up time though on the Win 7 x64 computer that didn't have these continual pop-ups (as mentioned the window showed the chrome install too like your attached one).

Seems like an odd combination of issues.

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:22:20 AM »
Try:

1_ Avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> disable the self defense module and save settings (don't worry about the messages, accept).

2_ search for the file "avast5.ini" (even if it is version 7 of avast); EDIT the file with notepad.

3_ in "avast5.ini", look for the "[common]" section. There should be an entry named "ShowSetupOutro".

4_ change the above entry "ShowSetupOutro" from 1 to 0 (zero).

5_ save the file and reboot.

6_ go back to avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> enable the self defense module and save.

This is how was reported in the German forum. Please report back.

Starfighter

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »
Thanks "ady4um".... this fix worked for me... no more avast! update nag screen upon boot up.

My system uses Win XP Pro, SP3, with all MS updates.

Solemn

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 12:19:04 AM »
This has worked on eliminating the pop-up for the Win XP machines as well, appreciate the tip!

Offline gab4moi

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 01:34:20 PM »
 :D Yes, thanks very much ady4um, the .ini fix worked for me too!

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »
I was also getting that screen and this morning, it asked about Chrome and something else. Unchecked all the check boxes for those. And I just checked in the .ini file as mentioned above and the value is already set to 0 .... hopefully no more black pop up screen on startup.
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

Jahojo

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 02:24:34 PM »
OK, either I'm stupid, blind or both - but I can not find the "avast5.ini" file anywhere on my system, fact is I can find no .ini file for Avast.

I've searched and listed ALL .ini files and there are none with avast in their file name.

Yes I did turn off the self defense mode of Avast prior to searching and even rebooted just in case.

I have my system set to NOT hide system files.

I'm running XP SP3 - current updates

Any idea where I can find this elusive file?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini (Vista and Seven)
C:\Documents and Settings\All users\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini (XP)