Author Topic: Windows XP and 7 Boot problems after update  (Read 59344 times)

ady4um

Re: Windows XP and 7 Boot problems after update
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 02:34:24 PM »
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini (Vista and Seven)
C:\Documents and Settings\All users\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini (XP)

Alternatively, instead of "Avast Software" it could say "Alwil" for older avast versions being updated. The folder named "avast" may also have some number, like "avast5".

This is just to cover other possibilities, but the "normal" expected paths are the ones Tech posted.

[EDIT]
As mentioned, you might need administrative permissions, and Windows Explorer should be set to show "hidden" and "system" files.

In addition, you should set Windows Explorer to show file's extensions ("ini" in this case).
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:37:21 PM by ady4um »

Jahojo

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 02:57:04 PM »
Thanks Tech and ady4um - found and fixed

I'm not sure why the search function would not list any Avast ini files as I do have my system set to Show All Files and I am the admin user for the system.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated

avasterror

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 03:53:12 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

I did every step and avastUi.exe application error (the exception unknown software exception 0xe06d7363 occurred...) pop up message still appears :/
I have no other solution but to uninstall avast for now or maybe i use restore point to go back to previous version and not to upgrade.
btw I have win 7 x64

ady4um

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
Sadly, people just post without even reading the topic.

avasterror

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »
Sorry, looks like I posted about problem in wrong topic but I thought re-installing would help.

edit: I found other topics with my problem, will post there
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:12:55 PM by avasterror »

twigfarm

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 06:08:50 PM »
Thanks ady4um for the info.  This has been happening on both my desktop computer running XP (update from what I am assuming was the latest version of avast! before 7) and on a laptop running Windows 7 (new, clean install of avast! 7).

BTW, path on my XP machine was C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\avast5.in

Changed setting from 1 to 0 and the window seems to be gone.

Haven't tried it on the laptop yet.

Why does this happen in the first place & why hasn't avast! addressed the problem with their own update?

Thanks again.

Dave

speckledbird

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
I have read this information and surely there are others out there that need more details.  I sure do.  Are you going into the registry to do this change? 
Will eventually the problem be fixed with updates from Avast.  I hope.
I have 3 computers all 3 are windows XP.  One of them updated and seems to be fine.  I was offered the install of Chrome and I unchecked both checks.  This computer is not recieving the message at restart(to click finish).
The other 2 computers(winXP) weren't asked to either install or deny the install of Chrome.  Which I thought was strange.  They both recieve the nag message everytime they are restarted.  I hate to have to deal with this.
I do not understand what I need to do to fix them.  Please give me and others more details to correct this update problem.
All three computers weren't updated with clean installs.  Strange that one is fine and 2 aren't.

NeverEverAgain

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »
Good to see that I'm not the only one, although this isn't much of a consolation. Seems like a major bollocks to me. Stupidly, I had both my laptop and my desktop on auto update and now they're plagued by this unfinished business.

Now I'm not good with computers, so I will have to remove Avast 7 and go back to the old version (glad I kept the installer) and disable the auto update. If they can't fix it, I might try some alternative. Pity because I was quite happy with the product.

AdrianH

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »
Good to see that I'm not the only one, although this isn't much of a consolation. Seems like a major bollocks to me. Stupidly, I had both my laptop and my desktop on auto update and now they're plagued by this unfinished business.

Now I'm not good with computers, so I will have to remove Avast 7 and go back to the old version (glad I kept the installer) and disable the auto update. If they can't fix it, I might try some alternative. Pity because I was quite happy with the product.

If you uninstall, clear all old avast folders then make a fresh install ( use a custom install and choose the features you want) you should find things run well.

virusforu

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »
hey guys i too got that pop every time i start up my computer...... this make me feel sad  :(  then i finally decided to uninstall avast fully and re install it as a fresh copy. After uninstalling avast i fully deleted the left over traces of avast like files created in program file and document and settings ..... then i reboot my pc then started installing the fresh copy of avast...... finally the problem got solved........  ;D now avast is running perfectly without any problem........

NeverEverAgain

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »
If you uninstall, clear all old avast folders then make a fresh install ( use a custom install and choose the features you want) you should find things run well.

A little update from my laptop:

After the fifth or 6th start, the Outro screen popped up, this time with the option to install Chrome (which I don't want), this time, rather than clearing the box I clicked the X to close the screen (mind you, not the Finish button). Lo and behold, the popup disappeared, as you'd assume it would and yet it did install a piece of software (which I don't want) without my explicit consent. But to make me happy, the "Upgrade" is now finished and the popup was gone after the next boot.

Now this, folks, is a very, very ugly policy. Install Chrome or else...

Could it be that Avast! now qualifies as malicious software? Installing crapware without users giving their consent is quite nasty.

ady4um

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 09:18:40 PM »
But you just said you didn't clean the check box related to Chrome, so... ???

NeverEverAgain

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »
But you just said you didn't clean the check box related to Chrome, so... ???

I didn't click the Finish button, I clicked the "Go Away" button, big difference.

Usicat

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 09:37:38 PM »
Updating to V7.0.1407 caused so many problems that I had to completely uninstall it and revert to V6.0.1203. I have XP SP3 with all updates and only use its Administrator account for installations and maintenance; all other activities are conducted on a separate Limited account. After updating Avast, Windows applications in the Limited account that connect to the Internet like browsers and a mail client would either not run at all or would not connect (Firefox would not come up at all, while others would come up but would not connect). Even some basic Windows elements like "My Computer" would only display a blank box with no listings; furthermore, those apps and elements that did come up could not be shut down (program "is not responding", and "quit now" would not work, also quit attempts via the Task Manager), nor could the computer be shut down via the RUN button - it was necessary to do a hard (power off) shutdown.

After restart, following the instructions given here by avast! team, I used the "avast! Uninstall Utility" to completely remove V7.0.1407 plus folders, and then rebooted to the Administrator account to do a clean reinstall from scratch. Upon completion, applications seemed to work while I remained in the Administrator account, but, as was the case earlier, they still would not work when I switched to the Limited account,
and again, programs there and the computer itself could not be shut down via the RUN button.

So, once again I used the "avast! Uninstall Utility" to completely remove V7.0.1407, rebooted, and re-installed the previous V6.0.1203, which works normally in both the Administrator and Limited accounts. Unless someone can suggest other steps to try, I will not be able to use V7 in its present incarnation.

I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

ady4um

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 09:51:12 PM »
I can't believe how many users just keep posting without even reading the topic. What a waste of time, for all.