Author Topic: Windows XP and 7 Boot problems after update  (Read 59342 times)

NeverEverAgain

Re: Windows XP and 7 Boot problems after update
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 09:54:02 PM »
And now the next issue:

I have a few portable applications, when I try to start them, the briefly pop up with a red frame and then disappear into Nirwana. What gives? They were certainly working fine before, so I strongly suspect Avast! being the culprit here again.

ady4um

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »
And now the next issue:

I have a few portable applications, when I try to start them, the briefly pop up with a red frame and then disappear into Nirwana. What gives? They were certainly working fine before, so I strongly suspect Avast! being the culprit here again.

Please, don't change the main subject of the topic. Start a new one if necessary. In short, add exclusions (for those executable files) to autosandbox.

NeverEverAgain

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 10:02:13 PM »
I can't believe how many users just keep posting without even reading the topic. What a waste of time, for all.

I did read the the thread and someone suggested to change system settings and edit program files. Now I am not very comfortable with  this. Besides, this is not exactly how a program update should go down, wouldn't you agree?

I'm terribly sorry to waste your precious time, good day to you.

ady4um

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »
I can't believe how many users just keep posting without even reading the topic. What a waste of time, for all.

I did read the the thread and someone suggested to change system settings and edit program files. Now I am not very comfortable with  this. Besides, this is not exactly how a program update should go down, wouldn't you agree?

I'm terribly sorry to waste your precious time, good day to you.

Why do you think I was referring specifically to you? Moreover, in my previous post I answered you question. So what bad thing have I done exactly?  ???

Kilia

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 11:14:10 PM »
Try:

1_ Avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> disable the self defense module and save settings (don't worry about the messages, accept).

2_ search for the file "avast5.ini" (even if it is version 7 of avast); EDIT the file with notepad.

3_ in "avast5.ini", look for the "[common]" section. There should be an entry named "ShowSetupOutro".

4_ change the above entry "ShowSetupOutro" from 1 to 0 (zero).

5_ save the file and reboot.

6_ go back to avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> enable the self defense module and save.

This is how was reported in the German forum. Please report back.

This did the trick!
Many thanks, ady4um

NeverEverAgain

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »
Moreover, in my previous post I answered you question.

That you did, appreciated.

speckledbird

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 11:36:47 PM »
 My netbook(Win xp) had been upgraded to 7, yesterday.  I didn't do a clean install.  There was not an option to refuse Chrome, and after the restart my netbook had the screen stating to click Finish to complete the install.  Got this message everytime, it was restarted.

I am not computer savy enough to try to follow the directions to change something from 1 to 0.

Here is what I did.  I uninstalled the earlier Avasts on my computer.  Then I Went to program files and deleted the folder Avast 5.  Then installed the new Avast 7.  I was asked if I wanted to install Chrome, I unchecked it.  Finished the install, re-registered Avast, no problem.  Restarted my netbook and it is fixed.  No screen asking me to click Finish.  Jumping for joy!!

Now I can do the same fix for my mom's WinXP. 

Thank you Avast team for offering us Avast for free.  You are appreciated.   :)

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 01:15:59 AM »
Got the message on two of my five computers.

Although I was prepared to uninstall and start over, several reboots seemed to have solved the problem

I am now happy.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

rafaelluik

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 01:30:32 AM »
I have the same problem in my Windows 7 computer...
(Just posting here so Avast Software know many people were affected and that they need to fix this...)

PS. My user account has administrative privileges and nothing is blocked so there's no reason Avast! shouldn't update the file with the information the installation has been completed by itself.

:)

shamanshadows

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 06:27:07 AM »
i cant find "avast5.ini" and i also try to search "*.ini" but no avast5

xTomo

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »
I cant even find "avast5.ini" , Please help :(

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 12:29:46 PM »
avast5.ini should be here:

Windows Vista/7 : C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\
Windows XP/2000 : C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\

"AVAST Software" could be "Alwil Software", "Avast" could be "Avast5"
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

avoidz

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 02:48:44 PM »

Windows XP/2000 : C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\

I have that folder and file, but no entry called 'ShowSetupOutro' listed. Are you sure it's not the entry called 'ShowChrome='?

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »

I have that folder and file, but no entry called 'ShowSetupOutro' listed. Are you sure it's not the entry called 'ShowChrome='?

Did you update from v6 installation? If you install v7 from scratch then there is no entry.
After updating from v6 to v7, this entry is added under "[Common]" section.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:57:58 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

joe_mama

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »
I've been having this boot problem on several XP machines I help to maintain, apparently many Avast users have been having this problem: I've found  three threads dealing with this issue on the first two pages of this forum.  Anyway on some of the computers the option to opt-out of installing Chrome finally appears on the “complete your upgrade” window and the problem goes away.  On other computers the Chrome option never appears and the problem persist, on these computers I have searched for the “avast5.ini “ file without success (possibly due to my admittedly limited computer skills).  My question is: Do the folks at Avast plan to offer a fix for this problem aside form having Avast  users manually alter the program files, maybe by way of a program update?