Author Topic: Windows XP and 7 Boot problems after update  (Read 59341 times)

truthmaw

Re: Windows XP and 7 Boot problems after update
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »
Try:

1_ Avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> disable the self defense module and save settings (don't worry about the messages, accept).

2_ search for the file "avast5.ini" (even if it is version 7 of avast); EDIT the file with notepad.

3_ in "avast5.ini", look for the "[common]" section. There should be an entry named "ShowSetupOutro".

4_ change the above entry "ShowSetupOutro" from 1 to 0 (zero).

5_ save the file and reboot.

6_ go back to avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> enable the self defense module and save.

This is how was reported in the German forum. Please report back.

Okeydokie....worked for me.
Mucho Thanks to ady4um

I'm XP Pro SP3 32bit
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:32:24 PM by truthmaw »

quest2

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2012, 11:08:25 PM »
TO MANUALY DISABLE THE COMPLETE/FINISH UPDATE DIALOG BOX FROM POPING UP EVERY BOOT.

GO TO THIS PATH

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users,WINDOWS\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini

In the .ini file find the line: ShowSetupOutro=0 :and make shure it is set to =0 as shown here.

AND NOT this path:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users,WINDOWS\Application Data\Alwil Software\avast5.ini

this path will not offer ShowSetupOutro=0 in the avast5.ini file, and adding it will not work.

REMEMBER to click away dialog boxes to bypass Avast's, self protection, or go to the programs options to allow this. There is also booting in safe mode.

I Got the instructions from another member but I added the path correction for my system, and it worked. Probably because I was upgrading from previous versions. A brand new installation might not require the caution about the path.

speckledbird

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2012, 12:32:33 AM »
Quote from AdrianH:  If you uninstall, clear all old avast folders then make a fresh install ( use a custom install and choose the features you want) you should find things run well.

If you are like me and don't understand the instructions, please uninstall Avast, thru the control panel,(restart).  Go to Programs and delete the Avast folder.  Then install a new copy of Avast 7.  Be sure and uncheck the Chrome Browser they offer.  Then click finish.  This fixed the problem for me on my netbook.

central_texan

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2012, 12:56:37 AM »
I am a consultant in (Duh!) central Texas and I have had several calls in the past few days from customers that have attempted to upgrade to Avast! 7. Problems have ranged from M$ Office shortcut bar disappearing to hard drives being destroyed. Obviously, a problem exists with Avast! 7. I have advised all of my customers that have NOT upgraded not to until this issue is fixed. A clean install is sometimes too late if permanent damage to the hard drive has already occurred.

avoidz

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 01:19:59 AM »
My original install on this PC a year or so ago was Avast5, but yes to version 7 from v6, so my path is: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2012, 02:03:32 AM »
My original install on this PC a year or so ago was Avast5, but yes to version 7 from v6, so my path is: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5
Hmm, your avast was updated from v6 to v7, and you have "Repeated appearance of setup-finished window" problem, but there is no "ShowSetupOutro" entry in avast5.ini?
Strange... then try to add "ShowSetupOutro=0" under "[Common]" section, and see results.
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

ivanow

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2012, 11:49:17 PM »
I haven't used my laptop since February around the time this post appeared. It's actually a windows starter editon but I have problems trying to update/reinstal/uninstall Avast. I found the Avast5.ini file and found the ShowSetupOutro, but it was all ready set to zero. So what do I do?

iroc9555

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2012, 02:43:04 AM »
Ivanow welcome to Avast! forum.

Have you tried aswclear to uninstall Avast! ?

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

How to uninstall Avast! using aswclear:

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1062#idt_02