Author Topic: [Glitch] avast! 7 Free Scans One File Endlessly  (Read 3657 times)

Joseph Collins

[Glitch] avast! 7 Free Scans One File Endlessly
« on: February 25, 2012, 07:24:27 AM »
Edit:
Joseph.

This is more than a minor annoyance. There are users like me who has been affected not with one file but many.

This disccusion was reported here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94168.0

and it has been developing into a monster here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94023.0

Mostly it is seen in XP machine and it could be any file that Avast! chooses to scan continously. Avast! Team has not aknowledged the problem yet.

Original Post
Greetings.  I have an issue that has been reported already, but largely disregarded as "user error".

Basically, since upgrading to avast! v7, the program locked on to, and repeatedly, redundantly scanned a single file.  This file, "RaUI.EXE", gets scanned twice per second, pointlessly skyrocketing the "File System Shield" counter.  The program itself is the Rosewill Wireless LAN Card user interface program and is perfectly safe.  The program comes standard with a number of Rosewill wireless network cards and USB dongles and runs from startup to shutdown because it constantly monitors the networking hardware. (It's actually an optional program when you get right down to brass tacks, but it has a lot of useful information about one's wireless connection.)

The problem started in avast! v7 and was did not happen prior to this.  avast! reports no problem with the file, as it shouldn't, but keeps scanning it as if it's opening and closing over and over again, which is isn't.  The only work-around for this problem is to track down the file and exclude its directory or the file itself (generally "C:\Program Files\Rosewill\Common\*" or "C:\Program Files\Rosewill\Common\RaUI.exe" respectively) from the scan:

Temporary Workaround Instructions
  • Open your avast! Antivirus user interface.
  • Navigate to REAL-TIME SHIELDS -> File System Shield
    You should see "Last file scanned: C:\Program Files\Rosewill\Common\RaUI.exe" (or wherever the file was installed) at the bottom as well as a series of "scan spikes" in the SHIELD TRAFFIC area.
  • Click "Expert Settings" and navigate to "Exclusions"
  • Either click the "Add" button, or click the blank spot under the last last exclusion ("*allowance_response*" for most users, I guess?)
  • Either browse to where the file RaUI.exe is, or simply type in the full directory listed under "Last file scanned", but with an asterisk at the end. ("C:\Program Files\Rosewill\Common\*", for example.)
    Alternately, you can write the full path and filename ("C:\Program Files\Rosewill\Common\RaUI.exe") if you simply want to exclude that one file. (avast! doesn't seem to scan anything else in that directory either way.)
  • Finally, click "Ok".  avast! should no longer be scanning this file.
It's rather annoying that this issue popped up out of nowhere for no apparent reason and I personally would appreciate it if someone looked into the matter.  As stated in the other topic, the issue persists even after a full uninstallation/reinstallation of avast! v7, so it's not simple "user error", here.  avast! is just getting some sort of false positive it wasn't before.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Apparently, there's quite a few programs out there that trigger this behavior, as documented in the posts following this one...  "RaUI.exe" just happens to me the one I experienced this with.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:14:28 AM by Joseph Collins »

DarkRadience

Re: [Glitch] avast! 7 Free Scans "RaUI.exe" Endlessly
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:34:19 AM »
I have no answer but would like to say you have a very clean and easy to read post :)
Hope a solution comes or the issue is fixed, good luck.

mdduan

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:25:34 AM »
happened to me to but with program ccproxy.exe and winvnc.exe.  :-[

Lito

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:35:26 PM »
Happened to me a few moments ago with Dropbox.exe and the AvastSvc process using almost 100% CPU. I did the same thing and added an exclusion.

Joseph Collins

Re: [Glitch] avast! 7 Free Scans One File Endlessly
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:46:57 PM »
I'm bumping this on the grounds that this issue affects more than just the file I initially documented ("RaUI.exe").  It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance that really shouldn't even be.

iroc9555

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:12:49 AM »
Joseph.

This is more than a minor annoyance. There are users like me who has been affected not with one file but many.

This disccusion was reported here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94168.0

and it has been developing into a monster here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94023.0

Mostly it is seen in XP machine and it could be any file that Avast! chooses to scan continously. Avast! Team has not aknowledged the problem yet.

Joseph Collins

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »
... huh.  You would think I would've noticed at least the lattermost topic.  But I didn't.  I appreciate you pointing those two topics out, though.  I've added them to my initial post and will said post (minus the impersonal information) to the topic.  Thank you.