Author Topic: questions about Browser Protection  (Read 4264 times)

jpmartin

questions about Browser Protection
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:36:56 AM »
I just updated to 7.0 version today and wondering about the browser run in sandboxed if you make a check mark; is this create more secure when you go internet?

another problem I  found is Firefox is unable to connect to internet right after update avast 7....:(
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:11:00 AM by jpmartin »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: questions about Browser Protection
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 05:13:11 AM »
Sandboxing assures that anything that happens in the browser is isolated from your local files.

For example, you accidentally downloaded a malware while in sandbox. The malicious file will not be able to infiltrate your local files because it is stored in an isolated environment. And once you close the browser, the sandbox disappears along with all the files (including the malware) that were created or downloaded you had while browsing in sandbox.

Read more here.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline ky331

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 06:43:28 PM »
The avast 7 feature to check-mark a browser and have it always run sandboxed.... is that only available in the paid versions of avast?

The reason why I'm asking is that it's mentioned in the Free Version's Quick-Start Guide (page 20)... but I was not able to locate this feature  per the instructions there.   http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/quick-start-guide-v7-free-eng.pdf

[If it makes a difference, I was testing avast in compatibility mode...]
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »
Yes, it's only available in the paid version.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1