Author Topic: Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall  (Read 131465 times)

Sceleron

Re: Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »
Hello!
Thank you all, I mean all, indeed. Avast forum is a place ;)... 
I've managed the situation, somehow. I use, most of the time, Privatefirewall and, with it, the things can be managed to work. But. I think I'll change the AV, yet. I use avast since v4.7. I do not like or trust this Avast, sorry to say this.

Off: From today, Hijackthis is blacklisted as potentially dangerous... What to say?

Thank you, once again.

Seany007

« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »
A worrying trend, out of context comments by a product rep to defend a problem.

I didn't at all infer the topic of this thread was the cause of the download probs.

Just that had I read it earlier I wouldn't have wanted to risk paying for the new product at all. It's apparently dodgy enough to avoid especially for VISTA it seems.

As for the download probs, you have the error code I noted above and I keep getting it after all downloads via multiple different download mechanisms.

So I've just paid for a 1 year license of "Pro" which applied to the trial install without hassle. That will get me by why I continue the check out AV programs!

Hi Wombat,

Lukor is an avast team member with detailed knowledge of how the Avast software operates.

This thread is about Comodo being unable to keep up with Windows and Avast.

Your Download issue is quite the anomaly, I've never had problems downloading avast. Have you tried downloading from another machine?

Please open a NEW thread and see if any good suggestions come up.

Don't use Comodo if you hate it so much! Use something else! They didn't fix it yet? Well they won't fix it now... Comodo AV is better in detection rate than Avast AV... Fact... But not so good at browser malware blocking... And what the hell you mean by Comodo is unable to keep up with Windows and Avast?

Hellion

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2012, 10:00:03 AM »
Don't use Comodo if you hate it so much! Use something else! They didn't fix it yet? Well they won't fix it now... Comodo AV is better in detection rate than Avast AV... Fact... But not so good at browser malware blocking... And what the hell you mean by Comodo is unable to keep up with Windows and Avast? 

Hi Seany007,

You should find the answer to your question:

And what the hell you mean by Comodo is unable to keep up with Windows and Avast? 

In Lukor's post:

In some of the previous comments from COMODO, they said they use TDI as well as WFP on Win7 and stated that they are not able to fully filter all traffic on Windows 7. TDI interface is entirely deprecated with Windows 7 and almost banned in Windows 8 (no compatibility Logo with TDI drivers for example, performance hits on Win7). Avast is trying to be more compatible and nicer to newer OSs and this is why we are also trying to eliminate TDI drivers from our code and replace it with the Microsoft supported equivalents. The first step was this redirect driver, previously on TDI, now correctly on WFP.

Also...

Comodo AV is better in detection rate than Avast AV... Fact...

This thread has NOTHING to do with ANTI-Virus detection, it's a Firewall issue.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:31:19 AM by Hellion »

Seany007

« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »

Hi Seany007,

You should find the answer to your question:

And what the hell you mean by Comodo is unable to keep up with Windows and Avast? 

In Lukor's post:

In some of the previous comments from COMODO, they said they use TDI as well as WFP on Win7 and stated that they are not able to fully filter all traffic on Windows 7. TDI interface is entirely deprecated with Windows 7 and almost banned in Windows 8 (no compatibility Logo with TDI drivers for example, performance hits on Win7). Avast is trying to be more compatible and nicer to newer OSs and this is why we are also trying to eliminate TDI drivers from our code and replace it with the Microsoft supported equivalents. The first step was this redirect driver, previously on TDI, now correctly on WFP.

Also...

Comodo AV is better in detection rate than Avast AV... Fact...

This thread has NOTHING to do with ANTI-Virus detection, it's a Firewall issue.

Right but the firewall issue only if you using Avast 7 shields with Comodo Firewall? Right? The bypass? If say you will use Comodo AV and Comodo Firewall you won't have any problem? Right? So use Comodo AV instead of Avast! Done! That's what I wanted to say... Since Comodo AV is even better...

kocakafa

« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2012, 04:24:00 AM »
Guys i think i have found a solution to override the problem until Avast fix it.Adding comodo in exclusion lists does not work for some reason as you have probably noticed..
The problem is that when Webshield is enabled, comodo firewall does not block programs even if they do not use port 80.
So disabling problem causing webshield was an obvious solution, but then it would compromise your antivirus security..
Better solution is  from Avast-RealtimeShields-Webshield-ExpertSettings-> Put a check "Scan traffic from well known browser processes only"
Now Comodo firewall will block traffic as it should supposed to..
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:56:01 AM by kocakafa »

mesamit

« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2012, 05:17:13 AM »
@kocakafa: it still didn't work for me.....so i uninstalled comodo and using online armor free.....avast works fine with online armor you don't need to disable any shields of avast....

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2012, 05:38:00 AM »
@kocakafa: setting 'Scan traffic from well known browser processes only' will allow comodo firewall to block all non-browser applications. however, browser applications like firefox, google chrome, IE will still be scanned by webshield. comodo firewall will not be able to block these browsers from internet access (bypassed).

@Seany007: u are obviously not getting the point...comodo firewall standalone is  meant to be used with other antiviruses...the issue here is comodo firewall has a design flaw which allows connections going through proxy applications to bypass it (avast is an example here).

the usage of comodo internet security - antivirus + firewall + defence plus only provides an illusion that the problem is gone...what if u have another application which acts as a proxy and directs all other application connections to the internet through it? ur problem is back.

heard they (comodo) are fixing it sometime later. hope they do it asap.

Hellion

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2012, 01:48:42 PM »
Hi AntiVirusASeT,

heard they (comodo) are fixing it sometime later. hope they do it asap.

It's taken them bloody ages to fix this!

gdiloren

« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2012, 12:26:54 AM »
It isn't that the web shield doesn't work with comodo, but that currently comodo can't differentialt between the web shield proxy and programs being redirected through the proxy.

So if you have a set a block on a particular program from accessing the internet, if it is connecting to the internet using the http protocol over an http port, then that traffic would be routed through the web shield proxy so it can scan the content. Because comodo can't differentiate between the two and you have the web shield proxy (avastSvc.exe) allowed, the blocked program can connect.
Using latest stable versions of Avast and CFW on Win7 64 bits. Confirming the bug is still there as FF isn't blocked even when you block ALL web browsers from going on internet with CFW (Avast nor Comodo seem to want to put energy on this problem and the dispute on wheter one or the other is the culprit is still on!!!...) >:(. Switching back to Private firewall and keeping Avast (for the best, I hope).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:34:26 AM by gdiloren »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2012, 01:20:23 AM »
Who can avast fix a problem that is on the comodo side. Also this is only an issue if you have firewall rules to block a program/s (many don't), other than that the web shield works in its protection as normal.

- see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93953.msg768135#msg768135.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2012, 01:57:48 AM »
Thanks David and it seems Comodo is in deep trouble with reshaping their FW from scrap to make it work 100% protected on Win 7 64 bits system and on on Win 8. I installed and tested by blocking Firefox on Private Firewall on my system without a flaw. The problem has nothing to do with Avast web Shield but more with archaic Comodo FW ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2012, 02:06:53 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2012, 03:39:02 AM »
Just in case, from the Wilder's Security forum, if you use Private FW and want to make sure there is no conflict with Avast Web shield at all, just go to http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2076807&postcount=96 and add the rules to your browsers properly. Of course, at this point, when you think of it, you'd may be better off :-[ using the AVAST FW in the paid version 8)

drummerman

« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »
It isn't that the web shield doesn't work with comodo, but that currently comodo can't differentialt between the web shield proxy and programs being redirected through the proxy.

So if you have a set a block on a particular program from accessing the internet, if it is connecting to the internet using the http protocol over an http port, then that traffic would be routed through the web shield proxy so it can scan the content. Because comodo can't differentiate between the two and you have the web shield proxy (avastSvc.exe) allowed, the blocked program can connect.
Using latest stable versions of Avast and CFW on Win7 64 bits. Confirming the bug is still there as FF isn't blocked even when you block ALL web browsers from going on internet with CFW (Avast nor Comodo seem to want to put energy on this problem and the dispute on wheter one or the other is the culprit is still on!!!...) >:(. Switching back to Private firewall and keeping Avast (for the best, I hope).

I am interested, how did you check that? Did you select 'stop all traffic' in Comodo?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:23:39 AM by drummerman »

gdiloren

« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »
No, well, when you stop all traffic, it works. The problem is when you stop the specific program, your browsers, firefox, chrome etc... in the browser policy, in the firewall rules, well as reported in the forums the program isn't stopped at all and still connects to the internet. I don't suffer this with Private Firewall but still I slightly modified my browser rules to accomodate any chance in Avast Web Shield flaw ;D Here's the link to the specific thread in the Comodo forum:https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/comodo-firewall-and-avast-7-t82382.0.html;msg614543#msg614543
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:30:30 PM by gdiloren »