Author Topic: Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall  (Read 131460 times)

Hellion

Re: Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »
Hi Hardov,

No Solution yet... Not even a response from a Avast team member.

Two work-arounds:

Disable Webshield. - Comodo will work perfectly, but no web traffic will be scanned.
Enable "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" - This will allow Most connections to be blocked by Comodo, but popular software like Mozilla and Thunderbird will go through unhindered.

hardov

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
Hi Hardov,

No Solution yet... Not even a response from a Avast team member.

Two work-arounds:

Disable Webshield. - Comodo will work perfectly, but no web traffic will be scanned.
Enable "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" - This will allow Most connections to be blocked by Comodo, but popular software like Mozilla and Thunderbird will go through unhindered.

Ok thanks so muchs for the help!

Hellion

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »
Hi All,

Updated to the latest version today.

Cleared my rules and tried again.

Firefox still connects like there isn't a care in the world even though it is explicitly blocked and Comodo logs it as blocked.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 10:17:25 AM »
Hi guys,

this is really very interesting. Matousec's leak tests show 100% for COMODO, yet, apparently the firewall is not able to catch a Web proxy which our WebShield is.

I am not saying that Comodo is a bad firewall, on contrary, it is highly regarded, but maybe this might be a contribution to the relevancy of the leak tests -- as I see it from my brief glimpse on this issue, any program acting in the same way as avast does can overcome the firewall rules. Somewhat surprising for a product with such high leak-test "certification".

Concerning the fix from avast! side: I doubt we would fix this, making changes in the code, so that other firewalls block our traffic is exactly the opposite what we try to do.

Nice comment on the Comodo forum from the moderator though:

Re: Comodo Does not work with Avast 7!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:27:55 AM »
This seems like an issue with Avast.
They changed the code. They will have to fix it.

I only hope that malware and unwanted programs follow the same guideline.

Lukas.

true indian

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 10:25:05 AM »
Well,no problems here...my firewall is on medium....and i have turned on block fragmented IP [since i dont use printers]... :)

Hellion

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »
Hi Lukor,

Thanks for your comment on this!

Regarding Matousec... I do not trust in the legitimacy of those tests anymore.
According to them Comodo is the only FW that works and everything else is crap... Different firewalls work in different ways and I believe their testing to favour certain Firewalls more than others....

But Comodo is a good and very popular FW.

That being said, I believe there to be a very large number of users affected by this and it's a serious issue.

I bug report has been submitted to Comodo, but there has been no sign of a fix anywhere.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 10:43:33 AM »
Hi Hellion,

we have changed one driver in the v7. We abandoned the old and not supported TDI interface and started to use the new one (well, its already a few years old, but still newer) - WFP. I bet this is why Comodo has now troubles filtering our proxy requests and while at the same time allows traffic from the avastsvc.exe (where WebShield is hosted) these things together create that hole.

I would love to help Comodo understand the method we currently use and help them change the firewall in such a way that they are able to see and block that - should I be contacted by anyone.
The method we use is fully supported and documented and from several meetings with other companies I know for sure there are several (if not many) major products out there that use the same - so I guess such fix in Comodo will help not only Avast users but also many others.

L.

Hellion

Hellion

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »
Hi All,

Well,no problems here...my firewall is on medium....and i have turned on block fragmented IP [since i dont use printers]... :)

@ Winmaltech,

You do know that streaming video also uses Fragmented IP packets

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 11:13:08 AM »

Lukas.

LOL ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DogStar

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »
Thanks for posting lukor. I'm not sure if you noticed my earlier post, but this is not confined to Comodo, it also affects Windows 7 built in firewall, which obviously uses the Windows Filtering Platform. So, the question is, as I asked earlier, does Comodo use WFP and, if so, does this mean that any firewall, also using WFP, can be bypassed by this change?

By the way, the Matousec tests are HIPs tests, not firewall tests, which is why they're completely irrelevant. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:48:47 AM by DogStar »

cyberrufus

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 01:18:11 PM »
PrivateFirewall is also affected.

mesamit

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »
No issues with online armor...

Hermite15

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »

Lukas.

LOL ;D

yeah I already had a good laugh about that ROFL  ;D

hardov

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2012, 08:26:40 PM »
Hi guys,

this is really very interesting. Matousec's leak tests show 100% for COMODO, yet, apparently the firewall is not able to catch a Web proxy which our WebShield is.

I am not saying that Comodo is a bad firewall, on contrary, it is highly regarded, but maybe this might be a contribution to the relevancy of the leak tests -- as I see it from my brief glimpse on this issue, any program acting in the same way as avast does can overcome the firewall rules. Somewhat surprising for a product with such high leak-test "certification".

Concerning the fix from avast! side: I doubt we would fix this, making changes in the code, so that other firewalls block our traffic is exactly the opposite what we try to do.

Lukas.

What about Online Armor Free? can we use Online Armor free?