Author Topic: zone alarm warning  (Read 4348 times)

rainman

zone alarm warning
« on: December 03, 2004, 08:12:26 PM »
Hi everyone,
After connecting to the internet, Zone alarm usually asks twice for Avast setup to access the internet, i click ok, however occasionally i receive the following "changed program"warning, pasted below.
ZONE ALARM
Before deciding whether to permit avast.setup to connect, carefully consider the questions below. avast.setup has changed since the last time it accessed the Internet, so it is important that you proceed carefully.

Did you (or, if you are in a business environment, your systems administrator) recently upgrade the program that is asking for permission? If not, does the program have an auto-upgrade feature?
Does it make sense for the program to need to connect to the Internet or your local network?
If you answered yes to both questions, it is probably safe to give avast.setup permission to connect.

If you answered no to either question, it is safest to deny this program permission to connect. If necessary, you can always grant permission later by going to the Programs tab in the ZoneAlarm Control Center.

Why?  
 Changed programs should always be handled with caution. The fact that avast.setup has changed can mean either of the following:

You have recently upgraded avast.setup or it has upgraded itself automatically, and the avast.setup file has been altered in the process. If this is the case, granting access permission to the changed program is probably safe.
avast.setup has been replaced with a malicious program or infected with a virus. If this is the case, granting access permission to the program could result in damage to your computer or loss of data.
(1) Anybody experience the same occurence.
(2) It looks safe enough, is it ok to grant access.
Help appreciated.
Thank you. 8) blue skys and a high of 23c

techie101

Re:zone alarm warning
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 10:56:22 PM »
The answer to your enormously long post is yes, yes and yes.

Each time Avast program changes, Zone Alarm will alert you.  This is normal.

Avast will also ask you to restart your computer.  Also normal.

Permission can be granted when Avast asks to access the internet.

Not to worry.

rainman

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 07:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance Techie 101, sorry for the long post, at the time it seemed the correct thing to do rather than give a brief description.

Same temp same blue skys 8)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 09:24:08 PM »
If not, does the program have an auto-upgrade feature?

What would you think???

whocares

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 11:18:31 PM »
[OT]
Hi lukor,
nice touch with the huanaco in your profile:
so you're the "wild one", but still graceful ..?  ;)
[/OT]

rainman

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 08:01:44 PM »
quote from lukor December 04, 2004, 07:24:08 PM.

What would you think???

Hi lukor
Yes i am aware of the auto-upgrade feature, i wasn't quite clear on why zone alarm indicated avast had changed.
A number of anomalys have recently occurred on my system, i wont bore you with the details, this prompted me to err on the side of caution. ;)
beautiful day high of 24c 8)

This guy doesn't look wild... ;)

http://gosouthamerica.about.com/library/blwildpixhuanaco.htm

« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 09:10:51 PM by rainman »