Author Topic: Avast 6 to Avast 7 installed Chrome, destroys existing Chrome install  (Read 25614 times)

YoKenny

Re: Avast 6 to Avast 7 installed Chrome, destroys existing Chrome install
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 12:17:26 AM »
You are using Chrome Beta Channel v18?

AFTER installing Avast 7 you have gone into Chrome Extension Page and have visually confirmed the WebRep Extension is version number 7.xxx not Extension version 6.xxx ?
I am using Chrome v17.0.963.56

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 12:25:25 AM »

OT:
Speaking of +1, does anyone find it odd that Avast is quite cozy with Chrome, offers to install Chrome, is used as the AV of choice by Google employees .... yet Avast only prompts social support on Facebook and Twitter ... but not Google+?

With so many Avast Chrome installs Avast is shooting itself in the foot by not supporting Google+ - Avast is missing some great free word of mouth....
No problem with Google+
https://plus.google.com/u/0/?tab=wX#
avast! v 7 celebration (63 photos)

Gooob

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 01:15:22 AM »
I am using Chrome v17.0.963.56

You are on Chrome Stable Channel
You are not on Chrome Beta
Chrome Beta is v18

Thus, back to my question about Avast WebRep and Chrome Beta...

People, please pay attention to the details when posting.

Otherwise,
Confusion results
Misinformation results
Avast not being able to address lingering problems results....

(edit)
There is a problem with Google+
After installing Avast (at least on my install) I was asked to share praise for Avast on Facebook and Twitter, not Google+.  Avast is missing opportunities by not adding Google+ to their social network sharing options when new Avast customers install Avast.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:20:38 AM by Gooob »

Offline Vapor

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 01:37:06 AM »
It is going to take some really good PR to fix their reputation.

Takes ages to get good rep, takes  1 day  to lose it.

avast, be careful you can do yourself more harm than good.

aosudif1

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 01:00:45 AM »
I have just registered to this forum to say the following: Who the f!"# does the Avast developers think they are?

This is just morronic.  I had this issue, and a perfectly working Chrome install got completely ruined.  This is the kind of crap MSFT pulls.

All I'm saying is Avast lately is going just the wrong way, with more intrusive signs and stupid alerts, and a more a more cluttered UI.

One more slip like this, and I am gone to a better alternative, which there are plenty.

Dch48

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 01:08:50 AM »
All I can say is that I have Chrome installed on this Win7 machine and on my XP machine and upgrading Avast through the GUI did not affect Chrome at all on either one. I even subsequently upgraded the free AV to AIS7 on both machines by simply clicking on the license file and letting both machines auto upgrade. I never downloaded the AIS installer at all.  Again there were no issues.

andyxl987

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 01:46:52 AM »
I experienced the same issue on my Windows 7 Ultimate x86 laptop which no longer is able to shutdown cleanly. The Chrome issue was frustrating enough but I'm also experiencing a large number of mingw compiled unix CLI tools (such as git, gzip, tar) to cause crashes unless I tell Avast that they're safe and not to sandbox them.

There were no visible checkboxes on my laptop after the initial reboot. There was no Chrome checkbox on my Desktop either (see attached screenshot). I didn't even click upgrade, Avast just did it's own thing - the timeout may be too soon as Flash took a while to do it's own update.

MvGulik

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 02:02:57 AM »
... Grrr <imagine some long personal rant> ...

Aka: Just adding a additional "same here" (Google Chrome)

Got My Chrome Beta (18.xxx/Eng) ... Downgraded(17.xxx/NL).
So far the chrome damage seems to be relative minor ... But I can't say the same for my trust in Avast. (nor in Google, as they made there installer so damn devoid of user interact prompts.)

MvGulik

Gooob

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 02:05:08 AM »
See here for details:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94348.0

Let's hope Avast Team fixes this...

cecr

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
I didn't have Chrome on my pc before I updated avas6. On rebooting the pc I found to my absolute horror that the developers at avast thik they know better than me about what software I need and had installed chrome. At no time did ANY warning appear, or my consent was sought to install anything other than the update. I consider this action to be one of MALWARE.

If I want software on my pc, I am capable of finding it, installing it, and configuring it, I DO NOT need unseen and unknown people messing with my pc.

I am now looking to install v6 back before I find an alternative av product from a company that doesn't take liberties like this.

None of the software I install goes into the default folder, I always choose a custom build, so if I had been using chrome already, its likely the duplicate install would have caused the same problem for me as to the OP.

amprenavir

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »
Thanks to those who posted a solution to the Chrome fiasco during the update to Avast 7. I am SO disappointed in the folks at Avast. They BLEW it with this upgrade. I will be more careful next time.

cansurfer2

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 09:52:32 PM »
Thanks to those who posted a solution to the Chrome fiasco during the update to Avast 7. I am SO disappointed in the folks at Avast. They BLEW it with this upgrade. I will be more careful next time.

Be more careful....how?

I upgraded a program that I trusted and had used for years.  My first warning that it would attempt to install a web browser program that I had previously tried and discarded as not for me, was a screen on boot that gave me a couple seconds to reach for my mouse and uncheck "install chrome" before it proceeded to do exactly that, without my consent.  I was too slow.  Had I been completely away from my desk I certainly never would have seen it at all.

That the upgrade proceeded to fail and destroy my installation of Avast requiring a system restore and multiple boots to safe mode to clean up the mess, was a further, and unrelated annoyance.

While this might seem harsh, a program that installs third party software without warning or consent, is itself, by any reasonable definition, Malware.  Even if you happen to like Google Chrome, this is the case.

Which brings me back to the question of how I would have been more careful.  Before agreeing to upgrade Avast, I should have been a regular forum reader and taken note of all the V7 problems that others have been having?   I guess.  Then again, my time is not without limits.  Personally, I'd be more happy with a program that simply did what I wanted it to do.  If it also happened to include an "OPT-IN" option to install somebody's browser, I doubt that would bother me unduly.