Author Topic: AVAST7 free: GUI crashes  (Read 5890 times)

reisender67

AVAST7 free: GUI crashes
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:55 PM »
Hello,

I have installed Version 7 free German version. If I work with the GUI it crashes after a while. Then I can restart the GUI but after some time it crashes again. (see attachment).
With Beta 3 I hat no problem.

Greetings
Christian

ady4um

Re: AVAST7 free: GUI crashes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:58:09 PM »
Download http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility. Under Windows Safe Mode, uninstall avast, then reboot again into Windows Safe Mode and run aswclear for avast 7. Then reboot again into Windows Safe Mode (yes, again reboot) and run again aswclear for avast 6. Repeat this for every version you ever had or updated to.

When that finishes, reboot into Windows Normal Mode. Then install a new clean installation of avast 7 and reboot. Please report back.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:14:34 AM »
could you check the avast directories if there is any .mdmp file?
Quality is also a feature.

reisender67

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »
Hello lukas.hasik,

I found 2 mdmp files.
I have them zipped. Please rename mdmp.txt --> mdmp.rar to open.

Greetings
Christian

reisender67

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »
So, now I have made a clean install, but the error remained  :(

Greetings
Christian

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »
... meaning that a bug that already occurred during the beta phase is still there ???

reisender67

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:32:19 PM »
Hi,

it seems that the error arises only on the status side of the GUI.

Greetings
Christian

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:35:33 PM »
Download http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility. Under Windows Safe Mode, uninstall avast, then reboot again into Windows Safe Mode and run aswclear for avast 7. Then reboot again into Windows Safe Mode (yes, again reboot) and run again aswclear for avast 6. Repeat this for every version you ever had or updated to.

When that finishes, reboot into Windows Normal Mode. Then install a new clean installation of avast 7 and reboot. Please report back.

running the uninstall utility just once in safe mode will do ::) ... then reboot directly in Windows "normal" mode and get rid of the avast folder in program data ... but hey guess what, this won't solve the UI memory issue, and I'd rather see the OP transmit a dump file to Lukas in the first place.

ps: you're wasting everyone's time here, the OP's for advising him a useless procedure, and my own time for spending a minute to write this post here. I mean why not run the uninstall utility ten times, just to make sure there's no registry remnant, and why not format the HDD after all ???

antrox

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »
same error when scanning by Hitman Pro. But only once.

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »
ps: you're wasting everyone's time here, the OP's for advising him a useless procedure, and my own time for spending a minute to write this post here. I mean why not run the uninstall utility ten times, just to make sure there's no registry remnant, and why not format the HDD after all ???

And you are OT, instead of solving this by PM. You are quoting a post from yesterday, when aswclear7 was not fully ready. You are also wrong about one run of aswclear. During the (pre)beta tests, more than one user actually succeeded with the second run of aswclear, but not in the first one. When you uninstall a driver in Windows, the "previous version" is placed instead, after the reboot. When a user has used previous versions of avast, he would need to run aswclear for each and all versions of avast ever installed and/or updated to, so to prevent the same component from being still a remnant after the reboot. Please stop being a bully. If there is something wrong, then give a reason instead of freely trashing people's names without technical reason nor need. And for OT, there is PM.

My apologies for the users that are interested in solving their problems, both for the OT and if the reinstall didn't work.

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »

And you are OT, instead of solving this by PM. You are quoting a post from yesterday, when aswclear7 was not fully ready. You are also wrong about one run of aswclear. During the (pre)beta tests, more than one user actually succeeded with the second run of aswclear, but not in the first one. When you uninstall a driver in Windows, the "previous version" is placed instead, after the reboot. When a user has used previous versions of avast, he would need to run aswclear for each and all versions of avast ever installed and/or updated to, so to prevent the same component from being still a remnant after the reboot. Please stop being a bully. If there is something wrong, then give a reason instead of freely trashing people's names without technical reason nor need. And for OT, there is PM.

My apologies for the users that are interested in solving their problems, both for the OT and if the reinstall didn't work.

I don't pm "someone" (?) like you ...  ;D ...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:19:10 PM by logos »