Author Topic: Several issues with new version  (Read 2459 times)

Tallulah

Several issues with new version
« on: February 24, 2012, 02:58:07 PM »
I updated to the newest version of Avast last night (7.0.1407). Since then I've had several issues.
Several were present after just updating, but removing then proceeding to do a clean install seemed to work. I was incorrect. I will do my best to describe them.
When trying to register I get the 'Not found CASTGC cookie'. I've seen that around this morning in the forum, so I won't go into that. Having to register is itself annoying, but I guess that can't be helped. I got this issue after the issue below.
The big issue I have is that after completing the clean install my browsers stopped working. Firefox, MSIE, and Chrome. Since Avast is the only thing that had changed it wasn't difficult to figure out that was the problem. For a firewall program I run ZoneAlarm. I don't know if there is a conflict between the two. So, I disabled all shields and my browsers started working again. After doing that I tried to turn them back on and two will not restart. Mail Shield and Web Shield are the two. Clicking "Turn On" does nothing. Clicking "Fix Now" leads to a pop-up stating "The following services could not be started: Mail Shield". With Web and Mail shields both "off" my browsers are working fine.

Any suggestions to correct these issues would be appreciated. For now I'm going to revert to the older version that actually works. Forgive me for being miffed, but the new version has offered up more issues for my system than improvements.

Thank you.

selen

Re: Several issues with new version
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:13:59 PM »
I updated to the newest version of Avast last night (7.0.1407). Since then I've had several issues.
Several were present after just updating, but removing then proceeding to do a clean install seemed to work. I was incorrect. I will do my best to describe them.
When trying to register I get the 'Not found CASTGC cookie'. I've seen that around this morning in the forum, so I won't go into that. Having to register is itself annoying, but I guess that can't be helped. I got this issue after the issue below.
The big issue I have is that after completing the clean install my browsers stopped working. Firefox, MSIE, and Chrome. Since Avast is the only thing that had changed it wasn't difficult to figure out that was the problem. For a firewall program I run ZoneAlarm. I don't know if there is a conflict between the two. So, I disabled all shields and my browsers started working again. After doing that I tried to turn them back on and two will not restart. Mail Shield and Web Shield are the two. Clicking "Turn On" does nothing. Clicking "Fix Now" leads to a pop-up stating "The following services could not be started: Mail Shield". With Web and Mail shields both "off" my browsers are working fine.

Any suggestions to correct these issues would be appreciated. For now I'm going to revert to the older version that actually works. Forgive me for being miffed, but the new version has offered up more issues for my system than improvements.

Thank you.

I agree with you...avast 7 gives me a lot of problems. All my browsers are slow in internet search and webrep doesn't work since 5 days...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »

Thank you.
I suggest a repair of avast and if not successful a clean install to get it working again, with zone alarm you would need to delet all instances of avast from the applications list and allow them to be recreated.

Alievitan

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »
I also have problem with Mail Shield saying "service stopped" and not be able to activate even when I click the "Fix it" button.  Also my web shield is not working despite, it says running, it is not scanning any websites (IE, Firefox, Chrome) at all according to the statistics.  Clean install Windows 7 64 bit machine

Wilko

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »
Since I installed version 7, my CPU runs for at least 75%, totally by Avast (mainly but ont only avastsvc.exe). This doesn't work for me.