Author Topic: Cannot start or uninstall Avast6  (Read 1877 times)

stollard

Cannot start or uninstall Avast6
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »
I installed MSE but couldn't get rid of Avast.  I had problems with MSE, so I uninstalled it.  The Avast atavar in the notification area  had a red cross over it. When I opened the user interface, the message said that Avast was stopped or in an inconsistent state.   I clicked on start , it brought me back to the same error with no explanation.  The same happened, when I clicked on "fix". I tried starting it with "Services", but got an error msg(Ican't remember what it was.) Thn I tried The uninstall utility. Everything went well, until I booted into Safe mode. I clicked on aswclear.exe and got a msg that it wasn't valid  Win32 data. I hate going without an antivirus.  I hope someone can help me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot start or uninstall Avast6
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:26:09 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.