Author Topic: avast! 7 almost bringing my system to its knees!  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Tomaso

avast! 7 almost bringing my system to its knees!
« on: February 24, 2012, 06:51:04 PM »
After doing a clean install of avast! Free Antivirus v7.0.1407 yesterday, I got a couple of crash errors after the first reboot.
One of them was xboxstat.exe (I've got two Xbox 360 wired controllers for Windows connected)..
..and I think the other one was a Visual C++ error of some kind.
I did another reboot, without any errors, so I thought nothing more of it..

..until today, when everything just seemed to behave slower and slower.
I got not-responding-errors for just about every program I was running (first for explorer.exe, then for opera.exe and so on..)
I tried a reboot, which almost brought my system to its knees waiting for avast! to start up.
After this, I uninstalled v7.0.1407, and did a clean install of v6.0.1367..
Now everything runs fast and smooth again!

I've been using avast! for many years, so I'm familiar with decreased system performance when all the "unnecessary" real-time shields are enabled, but that kind of bloat can't be compared with the near total system failiure that v7.0.1407 caused..

To preserve system performance, I've always had all shields disabled, except for the File System Shield itself.
I've never used any of the additional protections either, so this should rule out quite a lot of possibilities when it comes to tracking this problem down.

(Running WinXP32/SP3)

Arsh de Grand

Re: avast! 7 almost bringing my system to its knees!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 07:40:35 PM »
 for you your problem . first add your system info by avast's new feature in  maintenance -> support ----->then tick -> basic info , log files and minidumps and upload it umm http://www.mediafire.com/ is fast for file uploading and then post your mediafire link here !

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:42:16 PM by Arsh de Grand »

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »

Arsh de Grand

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:45:16 PM »

Arsh de Grand

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:48:12 PM »
ohh and btw by this process developers get more info to fix bugs  8)

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 08:04:20 PM »
ohh and btw by this process developers get more info to fix bugs  8)
By using Mediafire?  No.  By getting dump info?  Yes.

Just saying, there is an established way to do this, Mediafire should not be the first option.  You should instead have started a dialog with one of the Devs, and send such things by email if small enough, by FTP if not.   

Arsh de Grand

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »
mediafire  ??? lol i am talking about avast's new feature to make easily dump files  8)

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »
mediafire  ??? lol i am talking about avast's new feature to make easily dump files  8)
Oh, okay, we were talking about separate things. 

I was referring to how you told the OP to send the logs/dumps, not generate them.

Arsh de Grand

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »
Oh, okay, we were talking about separate things. 

I was referring to how you told the OP to send the logs/dumps, not generate them.
lol never mind  :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:13:24 PM by Arsh de Grand »

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
lol about the misunderstanding  ;D ... anyway I agree that the new dump file generation feature should be pretty cool and so easy to use... otherwise when a BSOD occurs... there's nothing like the transmission of what was generated by Windows as it happened, ie the actual memory dump files, making the Avast interface pretty useless, at least in such cases.

This said stuff for Avast is generally uploaded to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming