Author Topic: [SOLVED] Internet Speed Degradation with avast 7  (Read 19391 times)

Offline MayuraDeSilva

Re: Internet Speed Degradation with avast 7
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 09:25:27 PM »
Hi VLK,

I just installed AIS version 6 and checked browsing speed on my browser. Whoa... Unfortunately now it seems v6 have the same problem. I had v6 before installing v7 and it wasn't sluggy this much. But after installing and uninstalling v7, now v6 got the same effect on it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 11:22:27 PM »
Which programs are being running in the backgroud?
Can you check changing OpenDNS to Automatic in your network settings help?
The best things in life are free.

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 09:14:31 AM »
Hi Tech,

I just changed to DNS settings to Automatic. But it doesn't seem resolve my problem mate.

I have these programs running on background (in addition to avast):

- Windows Firewall
- TeamViewer
- Networx
- OpenDNS
- Google Talk

And I think it's better to state this here. When avast 7 is in beta phase I have installed it on my PC and got this problem after installation. See ~ http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93092.0. I hope it might give any clue.

Thanks...

AdrianH

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »
Try returning the Windows Firewall settings to defaults.

jan_e

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 02:33:57 PM »
Same troubel here. Upgraded my speed recently  from 25 to 50Mb.
Without Avast 7  50Mb, with Avast activated about 30Mb.

Was same with Avast 6.

greetings,

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
Yey... SOLVED... Thanks AdrianH :) Many thanks to you... Your tip works perfect. I have set Windows Firewall settings to defaults and now avast rockz... I've installed avast version 7 and it works smart too.

Thanks for all who contributed here guys... :)

Cheers...

ady4um

Re: [SOLVED] Internet Speed Degradation with avast 7
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »
I wonder how "resetting Windows Firewall" would improve your internet bandwidth. I mean, either the firewall allows you to connect (according to its rules), or not, but it doesn't improve (or degrade) the speed.

I'm glad anyway you solve it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »
Well I have a BT Infinity connection that is a theoretical maximum of 40Mbps download and 2.0Mbps upload (limitation for the account I have).

Given that this is a Fibre To The Cabinet, fibre optic cable to the local street cabinet and then copper cable for that last part (telephone connection) to the home. So some degradation happens for the copper cable from that theoretical maximum, plus the usual degradation as the number of hops in the connection.

I use speedtest.net to periodically check my speeds and in all of the time I have had broadband (only 15 months) I have found it close to my theoretical maximum. These tests run with and without the web shield enabled and in all honesty I find little difference between the two, in fact at times the connection/download speed is faster with the web shield enabled.

I have run a quick test with the web shield enabled and on three different servers and broadly the results are the same (see image), why two of them don't report the upload speed but they too have always be around 1.6-7Mbps.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »
@david yeah ... I still remember posting about huge differences on speedtest with web shield on and web shield off. This affects exclusively connections above 50Mb/s ... and the issue was confirmed by VLK ;)

Rick F

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »
Hi David,

(a bit OT) Wow! I remember for years you had dial-up.  What a jump in speed!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
@david yeah ... I still remember posting about huge differences on speedtest with web shield on and web shield off. This affects exclusively connections above 50Mb/s ... and the issue was confirmed by VLK ;)

I'm aware of the speeds in excess of 50Mbps, but this is reported as 50Mbps connection by jan_e not exceeding 50Mbps.

Same troubel here. Upgraded my speed recently  from 25 to 50Mb.
Without Avast 7  50Mb, with Avast activated about 30Mb.

Was same with Avast 6.

My point is that I see no difference between avast6 and avast7 and as Vlk mentioned "I don't recall any new feature in v7 that could influence this in any way..."
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 04:14:50 PM »
... just to mention that browsing here with V7 is damned fast in Chrome, faster than with V6 actually (web shield optimization may be...)

Offline chocholo

• Poster
  • BSC, GSC, MCP
    • Avast
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 04:16:10 PM »
With webshield:

Without webshield:

Hermite15

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »
@chocholo  ;D

... unfortunately I can't test that anymore, I had a 100Mb/s connection for a couple of years ... , not the case anymore temporarily. I remember that speeds on speedtest were maxing at 37/40 with the web shield on, while I was reaching 80/85 without the shield.

AdrianH

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »
I wonder how "resetting Windows Firewall" would improve your internet bandwidth. I mean, either the firewall allows you to connect (according to its rules), or not, but it doesn't improve (or degrade) the speed.

I'm glad anyway you solve it.

I had the same issue with one of the betas where the install was affected by Windows Firewall coming on. With v7 onboard I found the internet was very slow. Explorer and programs were also very slow to start. I turned off the Windows Firewall and the issues were gone.

I did post this previously, there is obviously some conflict with previous rules, the scond beta I saw the same thing and returned Win Firewall to defaults and the result was that the speed issues were gone.