Author Topic: [SOLVED] Internet Speed Degradation with avast 7  (Read 19383 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: [SOLVED] Internet Speed Degradation with avast 7
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 04:24:36 PM »
With webshield:

Without webshield:

I would kill to get those speeds ;D unfortunately not possible here, im lucky to get 10 - 15mb DL on a good day  ( Telstra sux )

Offline MayuraDeSilva

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 04:29:37 PM »
I wonder how "resetting Windows Firewall" would improve your internet bandwidth. I mean, either the firewall allows you to connect (according to its rules), or not, but it doesn't improve (or degrade) the speed.

I don't know exactly mate, but there wasn't any problem with my internet connection before upgrade into version 7. I mean, it takes more time to load web pages. Simply I have to wait 10 seconds or more to view Google homepage.  After installing avast 7, it started. I've reinstalled version 7 few times. Then I've reverted back to version 6 as I have no option left and VLK asked me to report it back. But the degradation was there even after reverting back. And @ last I've restored Windows FW settings to defaults as AdrianH asked me to. Since then I haven't experience any degradation @ all, even after installing version 7 again :) However version 7 has improvement in browsing speed over version 6 as I feel now. Further I see improvement in my startup/boot time too. I don't know the reason, but everything back to perfect after resetting Windows FW. It could be any misconfiguration or FW service problem, isn't it?

Cheers...

AdrianH

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »
With Webshield set to scan HTTP

With Webshield set to not scan HTTP

Hermite15

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 04:42:36 PM »
activating Windows firewall while running AIS7 here doesn't change anything (firewalls don't conflict, at least AIS firewall and Windows firewall don't and never did).

Offline chocholo

• Poster
  • BSC, GSC, MCP
    • Avast
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »
I would kill to get those speeds ;D unfortunately not possible here, im lucky to get 10 - 15mb DL on a good day  ( Telstra sux )
Well, when the remote server is not busy, speeds are better :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »
Yes must be murder having to put up with only 211Mbps download speed and an upload speed of only 190Mbps, faster than virtually all of the UK download speed :P
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
Well, when the remote server is not busy, speeds are better :)

All i can say to that is xxxx  :o ;D

AdrianH

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 05:11:02 PM »
activating Windows firewall while running AIS7 here doesn't change anything (firewalls don't conflict, at least AIS firewall and Windows firewall don't and never did).

The conflict/issue /problem occured during the upgrade, chaging the Win Firewall settings back to default cleared the issue.

Hermite15

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »
off topic: no need to worry too much, 4G is coming ;D ... for those aware of upcoming available bandwidth when and where 4G will be deployed, you won't even need a home connection anymore. You'll use - like you already can - your phone as a modem, and connect anything to it with crazy speeds.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »
off topic: no need to worry too much, 4G is coming ;D ... for those aware of upcoming available bandwidth when and where 4G will be deployed, you won't even need a home connection anymore. You'll use - like you already can - your phone as a modem, and connect anything to it with crazy speeds.

Along with the crazy prices for bandwidth.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 05:18:35 PM »

Along with the crazy prices for bandwidth.

nope, 4G will be cheaper than 3G to provide (for ISPs/mobile providers at least...) ... well from what I read.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »
You only need to look at existing UK prices for data packages and they aren't going to kill that cash cow any time soon.

The other issue is 4G is at least a year away in the UK (some limited trials ongoing) and longer before the infrastructure covers a high % of the country/users. There is meant to be a beefing up of 3.5G in the interim period. Where I live 3G isn't an option it still doesn't have good coverage.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »
We've had 4G here for two years now with vividwireless which i was using but in the new area that iv moved to it is still very patchy but there plan prices are outstanding, half the price of 3G. Telstra have also started up there 4G service but unless your within 5 km's of the city central you wont recieve it.

UserA789

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »
With webshield:

Without webshield:

I am having difficulties locating the article, but any area can get fiber... thats real internet that is at the low end of its possible speeds.  The trick, as in my state (may vary in other countries), is to from a co-op innatative.  Get your neighborhood involved as well as participating in any township meeting concering this.  This is the age of the people and the internet is REALLY playing a key role in that.  If I can find the link to the article on forming a co-op to increase fiber/bandwitdh.  Ill Pm ya.  Its great knowledge... and knowledge is REAL power!

Dch48

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2012, 07:10:44 PM »
Gee I just tested at Speedtest and my best was 24.9 megs down and 3.1 up. That's real close to the max given by Charter Cable though. We have the lowest priced plan available which 5 years ago was only giving 384mb (that's megabytes and 48kb/s) down. They have increased speeds about 5 times now without changing the pricing. The first hike was to 1.5 megs down, then 3, then 5, then 15, and now 25 max.

My best ping was 45 but the best speed was from Towerstream in New York City which is 300 miles away. When I play World of Warcraft, my latency hovers just over 100ms but the server I connect to is in California so that's not bad.

Oh yeah, web shield on or off makes no difference whatsoever.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 07:13:14 PM by Dch48 »