Author Topic: [7.0.1407] Problem on one laptop  (Read 4045 times)

Silk0

[7.0.1407] Problem on one laptop
« on: February 24, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »
Hello forum.
It was with great enthusiasm that I saw the official release of the final version, yesterday at a major do downloads site. Right away, I just clicked at the avast down there on the bottom and there it was: the final version ready to be downloaded and installed. Click and voila! The download process started and everything was running great. Asked for a restart: why not? Restarted right away. The update was done via GUI from version 6.0.1367.

Restart and login went with no problems at all. Then the desktop started to load; a couple of firewalll notifications here and there (most part was from avast! but I accepted everything) and then, all of a sudden, the avast! icon... with a little strange problem. Disappearing and appear: non-stop. Clicked on the avast! shortcut on the desktop to open the GUI and nothing appeared, open Task Manager and AvastUI process wasting about 50%/60% of my CPU. Clicked on the start button and the appearing/disappearing item started to replicate: one avast! icon started to appear in each second. I quit the menu of the start button and all the icons disappear in less than a second. To resume my experience: it was something really odd. As an avast user for 4 years now, this really started to worry me out.

So, I downloaded aswclear.exe from avast! website to remove and do a fresh install, but at the time of executing the uninstaller: a warning window appeared out of nowhere saying that the protection module of avast! was active. So I went to Safe Mode, uninstalled with aswclear.exe and went back to normal mode, where I installed avast 7 via the installer downloaded on cnet. Did a custom install and when it was done: same thing happened. Appearing and disappearing item and not able to open avast!. I even had remove the firewall (thinking that it was the problem), tried a couple of more fresh installs but with no results at all.

So I decided to try it on my other laptop. Removed version 6.0.1367, restarted, and installed the new one. Registration window appeared right away and the icon below was normal. GUI open with no problems and everything it's working till this actual moment.
I had concluded that the reason of the other problem, it's something related to the configuration... but what? Already tried almost everything but still with no results.

Here's some spec:
W7 Ultimate sp1 (32 bit)
Online armor free
Superantispyware free
and MBAM free.

Can you please help me track the problem? If you need to know something more, please just ask.

Sorry for the long text.

Best of cheers,
silk0

EDIT: separated the text a little bit to make reading easier.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:10:05 PM by Silk0 »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: [7.0.1407] Problem on one laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 07:10:04 PM »
There are some problems reported with avast scanning the same files over and over and over. What are your system specs? Are your resources being used up? Memory? Processor? Check your file system shield to see if you have this continuous scanning.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:13:18 PM by Charyb »

Silk0

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »
The problem here is that I can't even open up the avast GUI!
I just can't. I install avast and an appearing/disappearing avast! icon shows up on the icons tray and I can't even access avast!. I even tried via a shortcut but nothing.
But yet, AvastUI process wastes about 50% of the CPU.  :-\

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:18:30 PM »
Can you open task manager to check memory usage? Or is this not an option either? Is it just the avast UI that you are having problems with or is it affecting your whole computer? What are your system specs?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:21:23 PM by Charyb »

Silk0

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »
Some of my system specs:
Dual core
3 GB of RAM
Intel graphics card
(need something else?)
Memory usage is about 3mb on AvastUI process.

EDIT:
Besides of not being able to open avast!, the process is pretty much eating all my CPU and affecting the machine's performance.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:25:41 PM by Silk0 »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:42:58 PM »
Did you run the removal utility for both version 6 and version 7? I was about ready to mention that avast now installs in a different folder in 64bit but you have 32bit.

Silk0

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »
Updated avast! via GUI from version 6 to 7. Used the uninstall utility on the other times, to remove avast! 7 and then install it again. Didn't work.

On my other computer: removed avast! 6 with Revo Uninstaller, restarted and then installed version 7. Started to work right away. Like I said on my first post, I think it's something related to the laptop and not with avast! itself... but I wanna know what's the problem. That's why I am here.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 07:55:28 PM »
I am uncertain. Is there anything on this laptop that can conflict with avast? I'm going to scan the forum to see if there is anyone else that is having this problem and has come up with a solution.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:25:58 PM by Charyb »

Silk0

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »
I don't think so.
Both MBAM and SAS are free... so no conflict there.
Already removed the firewall and did a fresh install but nothing.
Can someone help?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »
Please, upload (attach) the avast log:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log

If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.
The best things in life are free.

Silk0

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »
Thanks and sorry for the wait, Tech.
Since the file is too big, I had split it into two.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »
Can you boot in Safe Mode and uninstall avast! from there?
I can't see problems in your logs...

Silk0

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »
Yeah, Tech,
Like already said on the first post: I already uninstalled with the uninstall utility on safe mode and then, I tried to install it on normal mode but still doesn't work.  :-\

I'm still pretty sure that it's something on with the computer... the real problem is what or which?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:51:08 PM by Silk0 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 09:07:01 PM »
I'm still pretty sure that it's something on with the computer... the real problem is what or which?
A glitch or conflict with any feature of Online Armor... But I can't be sure. Super and MBAM free won't bring trouble.
But I'm reading correctly that, after all, the problem was in the upgrading process and now everything is right?

Silk0

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »
No... sadly, the problem is not fixed and I'm almost at point of ripping my hair off.
Like stated on first post: I already tried to remove Online armor and install avast!:  problem remains.