Author Topic: Language question - why mix UI languages?  (Read 2742 times)

freddief

Language question - why mix UI languages?
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:06:51 PM »
First off, congratulations to the new release. I auto-upgraded to 7 today and the upgrade worked perfectly. Kudos to the Avast team for making the best AV software available for free. Very happy with Avast since I switched from another package 2 years ago.

Question on language:
Avast is in English, my OS is in English, why then does Avast insist on mixing in Portuguese in some places (acct login screen, promo section)
Ok, I happen to be in Brazil at the moment, but I have set my GUI language to English for a reason... and that's because my English is much better than my Portuguese. Why can't your web content content be based on language settings from the application rather than making a wild guess from my IP address.

acct:
http://bayimg.com/PamKgaaDn
promo:
http://bayimg.com/PAMkhAadN

Second - the account:
What's the point with having an online Avast account? From another post here in the forum I understand that I don't need one, so I guess I will not get one. But I really don't see the benefit at all of having an account. I am curious. Must have missed something. Can someone explain to me what the point is?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Language question - why mix UI languages?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »
The live contents (promo, etc.) depends on the region you are and not the OS language. This was discussed in the past and won't be useful to post local content to all users round the world that uses English as language.

The account is to manage different avast! installations (or in different platforms: Windows, Mac, Mobile).
It will allow access to Mobile actions in the future.
The best things in life are free.

freddief

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »
The live contents (promo, etc.) depends on the region you are and not the OS language. This was discussed in the past and won't be useful to post local content to all users round the world that uses English as language.

I'm not sure I understand your response. Seems you are saying the same thing as me - that it is NOT useful to post local language content to English speaking users. So we agree then?

Why can't the live content depend on the language setting I have selected in Avast? That must certainly be the most logical solution. That's the only language you are 100% sure that I will understand.

Apart from people like me who are travelling a lot, this must also be very much hit-and-miss in multilingual European countries such as Belgium and Switzerland.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
That it is NOT useful to post local language content to English speaking users. So we agree then?
It's not useful to show an USA promo if you're using English version of avast! in India, for instance.

Why can't the live content depend on the language setting I have selected in Avast?
Exactly what is avoided due to the local x language issues.

That must certainly be the most logical solution. That's the only language you are 100% sure that I will understand.
Sure. But if you're using this language in another part of the world...

Apart from people like me who are travelling a lot.
Yeah... Seems the people thought like this.
The best things in life are free.

freddief

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:13:19 PM »
Promos may be a different story, that's right. Promos are tied to country, not a language, and if you don't want to keep a full matrix of country and language versions I understand your shortcut..

But the account login? That should be language dependent, not country dependent?

To me it would still make more sense if my account login screen would be in a language I can understand. And since I have told you through my software settings which language I understand it shouldn't be difficult to look up that information before serving the login screen?

But never mind. This is obvioulsly not a major issue, just a bit annoying.

All in all Avast is a great software so I won't go on about this.