Author Topic: Avast 8 not auto updating virus definitions  (Read 3624 times)

demonix00

Avast 8 not auto updating virus definitions
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »
I just installed Avast 8 on my laptop a few days ago because I'd gotten fed up of the built in anti-virus provided with windows 8, and apart from when the program started after installation I've had to update the virus database manually for the past two days (it's one of the reasons why I ditched windows defender, and on my desktop system (which also has avast installed, but is an older version as I did a clean install just a week before version 7 was released) by the time hard drive access has settled, I'd had the update notification a second or so before and that isn't happening here).

The only notification I'm getting is from the software updater telling me that an update is available for adobe air (although it's missing the update available for iTunes), and I haven't changed any of the settings in the update section apart from checking the 'my computer is permanently connected to the internet' box in update parameters.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 8 not auto updating virus definitions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:37:32 PM »
The only notification I'm getting is from the software updater telling me that an update is available for adobe air (although it's missing the update available for iTunes),
this does not have anything to do With avast signature update ...if that is what you mean. This is for telling you about outdated programs that are a Security risk

I just installed Avast 8 on my laptop a few days ago because I'd gotten fed up of the built in anti-virus provided with windows 8,
do you have any other Security programs installed ?
is this a New computer?.....did it come With a factory installed trail AV like Norton / McAfee / TrendMicro  ?

demonix00

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 01:07:52 AM »
The software updater is the only notification I'm getting (this is after I wait long enough for an automatic virus definition to have supposed to have been completed and do a manual update).

The laptop is at least 2 years old and originally had windows 7 installed (the trial AV software was removed completely after I started the laptop), and I did have another AV program installed but that had to go after the upgrade to windows 8 because it should have been removed before the upgrade since all the kernel hooks had been obliterated in that upgrade (there doesn't seem to be any evidence of it left either).

The only thing I can think of that might be causing this problem is windows 8 new hybrid shutdown feature (it probably is this since I'm seeing over 30000 files scanned in the file system shield, and having that amount of files scanned in around 3 hours of uptime would be impossible) and the time between update checks is set at the default of 4 hours so shutting down within that time frame might mean that there isn't a check for updates the next time the laptop is turned on.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »
attach OTL diagnostic log, then one of the log experts will take a look inside

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

demonix00

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:43:54 PM »
I'd doubt that an OTL diagnostic log will help that much since I've all but confirmed that the hybrid boot feature in windows 8 is causing the problems I'm having with the definition updates (the scan counts on the shields not being reset on every shut down would be proof that avast is being hibernated along with the rest of the kernel data on shut down).

I'm leaving the definition updates as they are (I'm not forcing a manual update) to see if an automatic update does happen, and I'll be forcing a full shut down tonight to see if it restores normality to the automatic definition updates.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:54:43 PM »
Yes that is a known problem with windows 8 fast boot option

demonix00

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 11:17:03 PM »
Yes that is a known problem with windows 8 fast boot option
And I just had that confirmed a few minutes ago as I got a definition update notification, so I'll be creating a shortcut in a bit to enable a full shutdown to be done (and will probably be a permanent feature).