Author Topic: Outlook issue created with Avast 7  (Read 4084 times)

ChasUK

Outlook issue created with Avast 7
« on: February 24, 2012, 11:59:01 PM »
Hi, today my Avast updated itself to version 7. It created a problem which I can't find anyone else reporting on these forums.

I configured Outlook to collect my Gmail acounts using the IMAP protocol. I've been using this setup for a long time.

The emails are still working fine but Avast is doing something strange. When I receive an email, if I look at it in my "Inbox" it is pure gibberish. When I look in the "All Mail" folder though there are 2 versions of the email there. One is the gibberish that I see in my "Inbox" the other is the email correctly formatted. For example, when I registered to post on these forums I was sent an email to confirm my registration. The first picture below is the email I got in my "Inbox", the 2nd is the copy that is with the first in the "All Mail" folder.

I tried just disabling the email scanner but then Outlook freezes while loading the profile.

I don't know why Avast is creating a gibberish copy and only putting that in my "Inbox" while keeping the original in my "All Mail" folder alongside the gibberish one.

dagrev

Re: Outlook issue created with Avast 7
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:13:53 AM »
I use Outlook the same way but have had other issues with avast and outlook not working together correctly (higher numbers of email being scanned than I'm actually getting or sending, anti-spam module not loading into Outlook).  I'm hoping an update will address these Outlook issues.

In the mean time try repairing via computer - uninstall - repair.  If that does not work (which seems likely not to) you should uninstall and start over.  Others can provide more detailed suggestions.

ChasUK

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 06:23:18 AM »
Bearing in mind I fix and build computers on the side, I already tried the complete uninstall/re-install thing. I checked settings in both Outlook and Gmail but nothing fixed the issue. I did discover that if I deleted the gibberish email while in the "All Mail" folder, the correct email also got deleted. Avast is somehow splitting the emails but they are still linked.

I've used Avast for years and recommend it to everyone who's computer's I work on, but I have now just emailed my list and told them to turn off auto updates on the program only. I have managed to uninstall v7 and re-install v6. Voila problem solved. It's definately an issue in 7 that got missed in beta. I don't understand what's different about Avast this time round. As I said, I have used Avast for years and never once had an issue like this. Then I read these forums to find the solution and see all the other ticket issues being raised that kinda made up my mind to go back to v6 until several updates have been issued to this build of v7. My wife is a QA analyst/tester and she's amazed that this version got released with so many defects. She said she would have been fired if it was on one of her applications that this level of failure had happened.

Sticking with 6 until these defects get cleared.

DarkRadience

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 06:25:34 AM »
Changing your gmail from IMAP to the POP3 setting might help, but really I have no clue :(

EDIT: If you need help changing setting ask, but you seem good off.
EDIT: Using Windows Live Mail, I have been using Avast 7 and not having problems with email from gmail, and hotmail.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:31:13 AM by DarkRadience »

ChasUK

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:33:50 AM »
I check emails in various locations. POP is no good for that. I must use IMAP. I fixed my issues by going back to v6. I don't think I should be using workarounds just so I can use the flawed v7.
v6 works perfectly. I'm sticking with that.

DarkRadience

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 06:38:02 AM »
True and true hope we see a few hot fix type updates for Avast 7 :(

tellytart

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
I had this too. I had to go into the Expert Settings > Behaviour section of the mail plugin and turn off the "Insert note into clean messages" options. This stopped Avast from turning them into gibberish.

I'm running Avast 7, Windows 7 Pro 64bit and Outlook 2010.

k.u.r.t

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »
What encoding does the original (non-gibberish) message use? What encoding does the gibberish one use? Turning off the "insert note" option will definitely help.

tellytart

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 10:32:53 AM »
I deleted them, so I can't look.

One of them was the registration email from the Avast servers for the "cloud" account if that helps!