Author Topic: Windows 2000 SP4 supported or not for Avast Free v7?  (Read 62237 times)

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
Re: Windows 2000 SP4 supported or not for Avast Free v7?
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2012, 04:16:52 AM »
The trick was, you need to install Windows 2000 SP4 Update Rollup 1

If we hadn't installed SP4 Update Rollup 1, our Version 6 wouldn't work.
So you can see, that we have install this.

Because of this, your way is NOT the "trick" to get a working Version 7... :-\

...but thank you for your feedback... ;)
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

number11

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2012, 07:01:49 AM »
The fact remains, I had installed Avast 7.  I installed the rollup (I think, I installed a hotfix that was listed as being required for W2K, anyhow), and reinstalled Avast 7.  Reboot.  Still no good.  Uninstalled and tried Avast 6, no luck.  Reinstalled 7, still no good.  Installed the rollup (again?) , and as soon as the update finished up, poink! there's a popup welcoming me to Avast.  No other software changes done at all.  And now it works normally.  Perhaps there's something in the rollup that doesn't always take?  Maybe you've got to do the Rollup after installing Avast 7?  I don't know, sometimes with Win it seems like you have to do things multiple times before they take.

I dunno about Version 6.  I don't know if I've ever tried installing that on a W2K computer (before today, anyhow).

This all was on an absolutely fresh reformat and install of a slipstreamed W2KPro SP4 (the computer is an old junker being prepped for somebody who just needs email).   The only other software installed (aside from a couple of tries with other AV progs, subsequently uninstalled) was Firefox.  There wasn't any point in installing anything more until I could get a working AV.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:06:21 AM by number11 »

antdude

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2012, 02:12:08 AM »
Bummer to see v7 still does not work in old Windows 2000 SP4 (yes, my client has the rollup pack). It is still using v6. I hope v7 gets fixed to work on it before August 2012 subscription expires!

heppo3

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »
Hi all,
just to let you know:

For my PCs it worked (I am running 2 PCs on Win2000 SP4 currently):

I was not satisfied with Avast 6 running on my PCs as there are no more updates available.
So I downloaded the SP4 rolling update (as recommended above) and successfully installed it.
Directly after installation I deleted the existing Avast 6.
Then reboot.
Then I installed Avast 7.
Next was reboot: Avast 7 did refuse to start, just the same as without the rolling update.
Again a manual reboot.
Avast was quiet - but after clicking on the Avast icon the thing just started.
I performed some virus checks and found nothing.
When starting up the computer again the next day, Avast was initialising as usual and updating as usual.
Same is for the 2nd PC. So I assume the rolling update solved my problems and now I am running the actual Avast 7 version (and I am happy again !!!).
Thank you for all the hints and good luck for the ones trying this procedure...
heppo

antdude

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2012, 10:29:34 PM »
Hi all,
just to let you know:

I was not satisfied with Avast 6 running on my PCs as there are no more updates available.
So I downloaded the SP4 rolling update (as recommended above) and successfully installed it.
Then reboot.
Next was reboot: Avast 7 did refuse to start, just the same as without the rolling update.
Again a manual reboot.
When starting up the computer again the next day, Avast was initialising as usual and updating as usual.
Same is for the 2nd PC. So I assume the rolling update solved my problems and now I am running the actual Avast 7 version (and I am happy again !!!).
heppo
Interesting. I did not try rebooting after installation. I will have to try that again later on. Weird that you don't get any more updates in v6. I still got them as of my previous/last reply.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »
Perhaps the guys from avast can make a check for the correct installation of SP4 Update Rollup1 during the installation of V7.
And when anything isn't right with the Update Rollup, V7 can install it silent in the background.

Just an idea, but this would be great... ;)
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

antdude

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 03:37:04 PM »
Hi all,
just to let you know:

Then reboot.
Again a manual reboot.
heppo
Interesting. I did not try rebooting after installation. I will have to try that again later on...
OK, I finally time to try this reboot tip/idea in an old, updated W2KSP4 VM to ensure it really works for me. After a clean installation and getting an UI error, I manually rebooted and logged back in. Now, it works without any errors. I am running a manual full scan right now.

Avast needs to tell users to reboot then! So far, no other problems. :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:46:46 PM by AntDude »

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »
Hi guys!

Now version 7 works on my W2k-OS, too!!! :) :) :)

First I updated (again) over the UI of version 6 and after that and 2 restarts I had the same mistakes as before. :-\

After that I installed Update Rollup 1 for W2k SP4 again, then restart my PC.

Now the icon in the taskbar appears und I could open the programm over the Desktop-Icon and finished the installation!

Everything seems to work wonderful, Stream-Updates, too.

I can't understand, why I had to install Update Rollup 1 again, because avast! works fine for me since version 5 and I had installed the Update Rollup 1 in version 5 and 6, too and I had never thougt, that THIS could be the problem!!!

Now it works and I'm happy for this... :)

antdude

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »
Hi guys!

Now version 7 works on my W2k-OS, too!!! :) :) :)

First I updated (again) over the UI of version 6 and after that and 2 restarts I had the same mistakes as before. :-\

After that I installed Update Rollup 1 for W2k SP4 again, then restart my PC.

Now the icon in the taskbar appears und I could open the programm over the Desktop-Icon and finished the installation!

Everything seems to work wonderful, Stream-Updates, too.

I can't understand, why I had to install Update Rollup 1 again, because avast! works fine for me since version 5 and I had installed the Update Rollup 1 in version 5 and 6, too and I had never thougt, that THIS could be the problem!!!

Now it works and I'm happy for this... :)
Ditto for me in a W2K SP4 VM. I noticed it offers Chrome, which failed (unsupported in 2K SP4?), and quick scanned. Those are new. I will upgrade Avast 6 when it expires.

However, WebRep v7.0.1451 not work in Firefox v3.6.28 web browser? Disabling, restarting, and re-enabling it did not help. It worked in v6. :(
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:25:12 PM by AntDude »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2012, 09:20:11 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Sky.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2012, 10:10:34 PM »
However, WebRep v7.0.1451 not work in Firefox v3.6.28 web browser? Disabling, restarting, and re-enabling it did not help. It worked in v6. :(

FF 3.6.x is outdated..!! I suggest you update to FF ESR, which still works with W2K.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

antdude

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »

FF 3.6.x is outdated..!! I suggest you update to FF ESR, which still works with W2K.
OK, so this plugin doesn't work with v3.6.x then. Avast should not even install it there then. :P

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »

OK, so this plugin doesn't work with v3.6.x then. Avast should not even install it there then. :P

I didn't say that it doesn't work, as I've no idea if it still works or not. (In fact it did, when I used FF 3.6.x back in April.)
But FF 3.6.x doesn't get any security updates anymore, that's why I suggest to switch to FF ESR. But that's up to you anyway.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2012, 11:01:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Sky.

With pleasure, Tech! :)

loner

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
Can someone please tell me where to download a setup file of the last working German Avast version for Win2k?