Author Topic: Script that lists the files most scanned by Avast  (Read 2097 times)

reesd

Script that lists the files most scanned by Avast
« on: February 25, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »
Hi All,

I thought I would share a Cygwin script I have been using for a while. It simply lists the top files scanned by Avast and how many times they have been scanned.

I use it to determine what files I may want to exclude and also just to check up on Avast. Using it I have found some files that it scans the heck out of (e.g. sessionstore.js) and also files it it scans even though I have excluded them.

The script is at https://gist.github.com/1909180.

d

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Script that lists the files most scanned by Avast
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:07:40 PM »
Sounds like a handy tool. How did you come up with this? I will pass on running it though.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:14:03 PM by Charyb »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
So if I understand it right, it checks the Filesystemshield.txt file for files scanned?

Sessionstore.js will, due to it's nature, be scanned multiple times as it is modified often. I have had it excluded for a while now, but I believe that it is for another reason (i.e. detections on it...)

reesd

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 06:56:37 PM »
Sounds like a handy tool. How did you come up with this? I will pass on running it though.

Necessity is the mother of invention. In this case I just kept finding Avast scanning random things  and decided I needed to automate my checking up on it a little more.

reesd

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:58:28 PM »
So if I understand it right, it checks the Filesystemshield.txt file for files scanned?

Sessionstore.js will, due to it's nature, be scanned multiple times as it is modified often. I have had it excluded for a while now, but I believe that it is for another reason (i.e. detections on it...)

Yes. You do need to turn it on and also tell it to report OK scanned files.

I have found a bunch of other files beyond sessionstore.js. Also, my Firefox profiles are in a different directory so the standard sessionstore.js exclusion wasn't working for me and it really does slow down Firefox a lot if you don't have it.