Author Topic: Avast 7 installs chrome without permission  (Read 56616 times)

hairyhaggis

Re: Avast 7 installs chrome without permission
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 05:30:01 PM »
Although I feel for those having issues with the "Chrome" thing. And I agree it should be an "opt-in" and not an "opt-out".
It is known throughout the web that some companies do "pay per opt-in" agreements. On the other hand how difficult can it be to
uninstall any software. avast also adds an "option" via the GUI. GUI>Settings>Troubleshooting>untick the Chrome option.
And Control Panel>Program and Features/Uninstall>double click "avast">scroll to change>re-boot.
One question...does Chrome really take up much HDD space? Not really. I use Chrome to confirm or not confirm an issue another
user has with Chrome. In reality Chrome causes no harm just setting there on yours or my machine.  :)

what a stunning reply. bundling software like this makes your own product viral and removes trust in it. i have 31 days to go till renewal and i will not be renewing.

SmileyHeart

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »
I am immensely annoyed. I already had chrome installed, so no issue with that (although I do not remember seeing an opt in screen...no matter).

The thing is that this has removed all of my extensions, and extensions saved settings.
This is really really bad - specifically, I had a tab manager installed with about 10 different saved sessions, each with in the region of 20 tabs. Now that this has been removed, I have no way of recovering those 200 different tabs, all vital to me in one way or another.

I can deal with stealthy installs (as it appears to be a bug that I did not see the opt out screen...I definitely didn't see it). What I cannot deal with is avast installs being untested enough to remove my data. I anticipate spending the rest of the day in a data recovery program and once I finished I think I'm going to have to both look elsewhere for my AV and stop recommending avast.

To avast: I doubt you want your program removing user data. Perhaps you might want to look into that before other users get as angry as I am.
It seems my previous message (quoted) was incorrect - the data still seems to be there, once I reinstalled my extensions.
So actually all the installation of avast does is throw a installation of chrome into program files (nonstandard...) without asking (a bug?) or checking that chrome is already installed. By doing this it removes all extensions and adds avast's.

I will still be removing avast, but will remain neutral to others using it.

Of course, I still have to deal with this mess of a chrome double installation...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:33:45 PM by SmileyHeart »

UserA789

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »
About a month ago, I was always using the SafeZone to FB and then it started acting funny.  I trust Chrome about as much as ANY other browser that has criminal elemant looking at ALL of its code.

I wish Avast would let me use my browser of choice in their 'safe desktop'; but its apparaent they have become a bit biased to Chrome and its supposed safety.

nord

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 06:58:48 PM »
Bltizen, the skepticism comes for a reason.  You would not believe the number of people who have been wrong about this in the past, both here and elsewhere, when they missed a simple checkbox, and they swear up-and-down that they are right, but then they use the same method again and realize they missed it.

That said, there are plenty of people who have reported this.  It is almost certainly a bug.  Even if it was a forced bundle install, it would at least check to see if Chrome was installed first, rather than installing Chrome over the top of an existing install.

Gargamel360,

It is precisely for this reason that for some time now, I never, ever go to the Avast download collaboration with CNET. I go to FileHippo instead and download from there. Occasionally they are a day late with the latest and greatest version, but that aside, they are much better IMO.

lilie

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »
Hi

That's give me (i'am not alone!) a very bad feeling.

Yes to that : it should be an "opt-in" and not an "opt-out".

I had previously installed Chrome on two of the five computers (family) and clear it. Uninstall plus files left and regitry entries.
I dont need google bar, google map, google chrome, or any other crap.

I need only an reliable antivirus

Hey Avast! ... give us a very "total cleaner" (chrome uninstaller).

3 morning each Finish installation (1 time each per morning) x 5

Same of having a virus on the machines.

not good to start the day

Bye

moidock

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 03:49:36 PM »
I am a big fan of Avast! but today it shocked me by brute installing Chrome on my computer. I had upgraded to version 7 a few days ago and unchecked all the install Chrome boxes. I have been running the new version for a few days and at about 2 A.M. today, it told me that it had updated the antivirus definition files AND installed the "recomended" Chrome browser without even asking me. I had tried Chrome before, didn´t like it and still don´t.

Very disappointed Avast!, I don´t mind the publicity for your own products when the AV updates and to uncheck a couple of boxes when installing for the first time, but brute forcing Chrome into my computer is something I consider a big step towards getting me to leave Avast! completely.

Yes, I am an experienced user and have been using computers since the Commodore days and also work Tech Support, I can work my way through reading things, so this is not a "you forgot to uncheck things there" situation.

Rick F

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »
I've been a user of avast for many years.  Reading this discussion thread has been very disturbing to me.  I will not be upgarding to ver. 7... ever. 

I'll stay with ver. 6 until they no longer support it and then move on.  Very disappointed. :-[

Sent from iPad

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »
It should be an "opt-in" and not an "opt-out".
I don't think it's much a trouble to be opt-out. Indeed, the agreement will ask it to be out-out.
But I think the option must be shown to all users all the time, upgrade or installation from scratch.
The best things in life are free.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »
Sure it's annoying if installer mocks up a bit but how hard can it be to remove Chrome anytime later? It's just an app like any other. It's not some spyware or something. You just go to Porgrams and Features and remove it there.
1. The point isn't "how hard can it be to remove Chrome anytime later". And it would seem that someone with over 6,000 posts should be more than capable of understanding the point being discussed, instead of trying to misdirect/redirect it with some lame straw man argument.

2. If you'd read the other posts before posting your response, you'd have seen that apparently, at least for some people, Chrome IS more problematic when it comes to uninstalling it than other programs. But AGAIN...that is NOT the point of this thread -- it's simply a lame attempt -- and fail -- at misdirection.

3. NO ONE said Chrome was sypware. Yet ANOTHER straw man argument/misdirection attempt.

4. Straw man arguments, and blatant misdirection, are typical of disinformation tactics. (If you're unfamiliar with disinformation tactics, which I highly doubt, since you've packed 3 of them into a 4 sentence post, Google it.)

skay_baltimore

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 12:50:42 AM »
Although I feel for those having issues with the "Chrome" thing. And I agree it should be an "opt-in" and not an "opt-out".
It is known throughout the web that some companies do "pay per opt-in" agreements. On the other hand how difficult can it be to
uninstall any software. avast also adds an "option" via the GUI. GUI>Settings>Troubleshooting>untick the Chrome option.
And Control Panel>Program and Features/Uninstall>double click "avast">scroll to change>re-boot.
One question...does Chrome really take up much HDD space? Not really. I use Chrome to confirm or not confirm an issue another
user has with Chrome. In reality Chrome causes no harm just setting there on yours or my machine.  :)
This is truly a masterpiece of disinformation. Each and every one of your "arguments" is nothing but total BS. If you are in any way representative of this company, their credibility just went into the toilet.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 02:01:49 AM »
If you are in any way representative of this company, their credibility just went into the toilet.
Nobody here "represents" the company. Para-noid is an user like most of us.

Why do you think he is misinformed in his opinion?

skay_baltimore

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
If you are in any way representative of this company, their credibility just went into the toilet.
Nobody here "represents" the company. Para-noid is an user like most of us.

Why do you think he is misinformed in his opinion?
Are you serious? Google "disinformation". Anyone who posts nothing but straw man arguments and misdirection has an agenda.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »
I think straw man has seriously been over used in these recent post's, i suspect someone has spent to much time in the fields alone with scarecrows - time to milk the cows  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »
Anyone who posts nothing but straw man arguments and misdirection has an agenda.
No. He has (could have) an agenda.
Not the avast! company as he/she does not represent the company.
Here is an open forum where you could post your (respectfully) opinions.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »
I think straw man has seriously been over used in these recent post's, i suspect someone has spent to much time in the fields alone with scarecrows - time to milk the cows  ;D
Classic.  ::)