Author Topic: Avast 7 installs chrome without permission  (Read 56824 times)

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
Re: Avast 7 installs chrome without permission
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2012, 05:21:49 AM »
...it is nothing short of epic seeing how many ppl fail/ignore the posts above them saying that the so called 'force' install is a bug and will be addressed

expecting Avast! to provide a complete uninstaller for a third party programme is unreasonable...go complain to google if u are so desperate.

be glad that they are not offering toolbars of any sort...

anyone who does not want to help Avast! in getting to the root of the problem should just get out of sight

anyone who wants their problems solved should be willing to provide info requested by Avast! developers

ranting like a spoilt child is not going to get u anywhere, in this forum or in the real world.

shortwave

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »
"expecting Avast! to provide a complete uninstaller for a third party programme is unreasonable"

But if Avast! didn't install the third party programme in the first place none of these complaints would have been raised.

"anyone who does not want to help Avast! in getting to the root of the problem should just get out of sight"
"anyone who wants their problems solved should be willing to provide info requested by Avast! developers"

As noted by others, this thread doesn't appear to have received any visits from Avast! developers, so how do you expect that to work?

"ranting like a spoilt child is not going to get u anywhere, in this forum or in the real world. "

I am one of many previously loyal Avast! users who is VERY disappointed with this unwanted behaviour, having just installed the latest version on a friends PC today. I specifically chose the "Custom" options and looked carefully for any extras or toolbars. There was NO mention of Google Chrome, PERIOD!

I only saw it when the installation was being finalised, and there was no tick box to stop Chrome being installed. I subsequently used Revo Uninstaller to get rid of it - so far so good - but I'm now dreading the phone call tomorrow telling me it won't boot...

I note the suggestion that CNet may be responsible (that's where I got it from), but FileHippo claims the same file size, so that doesn't tally. And if CNet IS the culprit why haven't Avast! moved Heaven and Earth to sort this "bug" out? I note that Softpedia says:
"Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:

· Offers to download or install software or components (Google Toolbar) that the program does not require to fully function"

Like the other unhappy users, I wait to hear a response from someone actually in the organisation, otherwise Avast! will join the list of untrustworthy companies.

nord

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2012, 12:48:03 AM »
FileHippo for unknown reasons has(d) a bad link. Their download icon said version 6, but when you clicked on it you got version 7. Not a good thing on their part. The lack of a default opt out on the install made many Chrome users unhappy as the install now gave them double the trouble and for the rest of us who failed to see that the checkmark had to be removed to stop a Chrome install, a real headache, in short, 3 different programs to remove all the dropping leftover by a bad install and in my case, I made the mistake of using System Explorer to stop the Chrome install halfway through: Stoopid as I then had to use System Restore to recover my computer and had to reinstall my firewall too... But that mistake is on me.

Avast, OTOH, is shooting themselves in the foot IMO with this collaboration with CNET and Google Chrome. Not only do the many posts here point to a systemic problem, product branding gets diluted and people stop thinking about Avast and start worrying about what other "stuff" they are going to get stuck with, like McAfee and Chrome and Google Toolbars and who knows what's next on the agenda?

Just my two cents worth.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2012, 04:40:38 AM »
at shortwave: tech is on Avast! team for ur info

all i see here are angry people refusing to provide any details on their systems (whats ur system configuration?)  to help Avast! developers correct the bug in the installer.
of cause an opt in would be better for google chrome but by default it is opt out. Avast! does not force google on u...it is a bug in the installer.

people keep blaming Avast! for forcing it on them but refuse to help them solve the problem! great...(tech is here but ur not giving him anything meaningful to start off with!)
sry but expecting the bug to disappear by itself is not being realistic.

talking about whether google chrome should be bundled is another thing which will spark many debates altogether. it can be ur suggestion to have it removed to Avast! the main thing here is the bug, do not mix ur opinions in this topic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:46:39 AM by AntiVirusASeT »

niteowl4evr

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »
After using Avast for several years I had to uninstall it last year for not playing nice with my Windows 7 64 bit.  Was thinking about installing it on my new laptop until I read that Avast was installing Chrome, sometimes without permission due to a bug.  Sadly, that means I won't be installing Avast.  I am security savvy enough that I don't worry much about infections - haven't been infected in almost 2 decades of personal computing, but it was nice having that layered security. 

Personally, I'd rather Avast ask for a small fee for usage than sink to installing 3rd party software.  I've been disheartened to see security software companies stooping to such measures - sometimes without asking permission.  At the very least it should be opt in, not opt out.  I'm also saddened to see people being attacked for not wanting their security software installing 3rd party software. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »
Personally, I'd rather Avast ask for a small fee for usage than sink to installing 3rd party software.
Not necessary. It was a problem (bug), not a way to get money of.

At the very least it should be opt in, not opt out.
Well, of course, for the company giving away software for free, opt in allows that common user join and help (support) the development of the free software.
The best things in life are free.

shortwave

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »
My apologies for missing "Tech" earlier in the thread. Can someone please confirm if one particular mirror host is responsible for this "bug" in the installer? I obviously had trouble with CNet, and FileHippo is mentioned above as providing the wrong link. Is Softpedia OK?  And what is the exact size of the correct file?

Whilst I don't like bundled 3rd party software, this is acceptable so long as there is a clear opt in/out screen during the installation process.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »
... CNet, and FileHippo is mentioned above as providing the wrong link. Is Softpedia OK? ...
The installer is the same regardless the download site.

Whilst I don't like bundled 3rd party software, this is acceptable so long as there is a clear opt in/out screen during the installation process.
I think the same for an opt out option :)
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2012, 06:15:49 PM »
I have never even seen the Chrome option and it hasn't installed it on the Vista machine nor messed with the existing installations on the other two.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
I have seen it several times when doing a clean install (see image) and when doing an update install it has never been installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bestmen

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2012, 09:54:10 AM »
Hello,

this issue has just re-emerged on my girlfriend's computer. This is totally inacceptable.

I did a program update from the user interface from Avast free version 6 to Avast 7 last week, today the popup came up and she tried to exit and the next thing she knew was that Avast installed Chrome on her computer. This issue is not resolved.

My foremost question right now: as I see it Chrome is not only installed but also turned into default browser.

How am I supposed to proceed to completely undo this process? How to do a complete and clean uninstalliation of Chrome (is there an uninstaller) and how to undo it as a default browser?

Please help, because it was Avast in the first place that caused this problem.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »
I read through this thread and haven't fond the information I'm interested in...

Are there any known conditions that would allows us to reproduce and fix this bug?
1, update from what build -> latest v7 ?
2, OS?

The symptoms were described well, thank you. It's definitely a bug caused by the fact that the avast's "Finish Installation" dialog after reboot disappears without user interaction. And there is the opt-out chrome offer on this dialog...

thank you
Lukas.
Quality is also a feature.

Davy

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
Avast Does install Google Chrome without asking.... but there *MAY* be a bug or maybe deliberate on Avast behalf!

Lets get one thing straight, there is no use doing a custom install OK, this is only for Avast modules - isn't that clear? There is no option to opt in or out in this window of Google Chrome in the custom box... am I right?

There is an option window that pops up prior to this custom box - but you only see it for a split second.....  thus giving one no time to even select the box. It is this window were the option boxes are... or was, but the window comes and goes that fast.

Before anyone mentions-:
I had Avast crash doing a boot scan...  I thought a clean install - big mistake as I ended up with Chrome. I uninstalled using Avast tool then cleaned ALL Alwil and Avast files.... and registry entries including Google Chrome opt/in out entry .... still got the same result, thanks I keep a cloned drive.

How come no one mentioned the flash screen that appears for only a brief second.... is this a bug or intentional?

Why isn't there a 'sticky' on this problem?
  Avast you are putting people off! Avast is about to be ditched if this isn't fixed!

Dave
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:42:49 PM by Davy »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2013, 01:50:42 PM »
We are not aware of any "flash screen".

Davy

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »
Righto Igor, here we go-: To be clear we are talking a download from Avast and no other site.

The opt in/out Chrome is a screen by itself with a tiny box or two right down the bottom left hand corner... or it *had* used to be just before the custom install screen... I am seeing this screen for a brief second just prior to the Avast custom install screen...

you gotta agree, just gotta because there is NO Google opt in/out within the Avast custom install window where you select what modules you want to install.

The screen prior to this is only displayed very briefly,  I've tried it on two computers for curiosity... OK, OK you tell us all where the option screen is then for Google... please do explain, lets put this to rest for the very last time so we can ALL carry on.

I can assure you there is a brief screen flash just before the Avast module select screen when doing a custom install... I'll ask again is this a bug or is this intentional?

Either this is sorted or Avast will come off , and pretty soon because I ain't hoping and praying forever - lets have it sorted and out the way.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:54:03 PM by Davy »