Author Topic: UI memory problem  (Read 10366 times)

ady4um

Re: UI memory problem
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »
@itsjustme2,

You misunderstood. I'm not saying that those are bad updates. I'm saying that they should be already installed, if Windows Updates requests them.

But, for the C++ 2010 redistributable case, that's not the one. Avast installs and uses C++ 2008 SP1, for the OS used. So if the installer failed for some reason to install it, the the user would need to download *that* one.

But again, first of all, all Windows Updates should be installed, including FrameWork.

I think I clarified enough. Let's concentrate in trying to help the OP, if we can (since, if there is no GUI, then I can't provide more workarounds than really really deleting all remnants of avast, including aswclear, manual searches of folders, registry and so on.

voiger

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 03:40:17 PM »
I've updated the framework and reinstalled avast! once again by the instruction. That hasn't helped. The problem is the same..

itsjustme2

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
@itsjustme2,

You misunderstood. I'm not saying that those are bad updates. I'm saying that they should be already installed, if Windows Updates requests them.

But, for the C++ 2010 redistributable case, that's not the one. Avast installs and uses C++ 2008 SP1, for the OS used. So if the installer failed for some reason to install it, the the user would need to download *that* one.

But again, first of all, all Windows Updates should be installed, including FrameWork.

I think I clarified enough. Let's concentrate in trying to help the OP, if we can (since, if there is no GUI, then I can't provide more workarounds than really really deleting all remnants of avast, including aswclear, manual searches of folders, registry and so on.
it cant make any harm either.

anyway i agree.. (let's move on)

itsjustme2

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »
I've updated the framework and reinstalled avast! once again by the instruction. That hasn't helped. The problem is the same..
do you have another real time protection rather than avast?

voiger

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
no. Only avast!.

itsjustme2

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »
no. Only avast!.
have you tried to run the avast installer as an administrator?

voiger

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
no. Only avast!.
Yes, twice. I am an administrator.

voiger

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »
And what is interesting that when I'm unistalling avast! the avast!UI message asking to confirm service termination was appeared. But I still have no access to the main UI.

itsjustme2

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »
no. Only avast!.
Yes, twice. I am an administrator.
that wasn't what i meant.
even if you're an admin, you have to press right click with your mouse over the installer and choose "run as admin..", have you done this before?

ady4um

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »
And what is interesting that when I'm unistalling avast! the avast!UI message asking to confirm service termination was appeared. But I still have no access to the main UI.

After the install, have you rebooted when it finishes? Is your HDD still blinking "like crazy" when you reboot?

webik

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »
Ok, I give up.

I tried to install Net Framework 3.5 and 4 with all available updates, without result.

Current version (as is presented on "Upadate" tab in Avast Setup program) is released today so probably is current version bug.

I will try next version, by now unistall avast at all.

If someone need more information about my case pleas send PM or reply to this thread.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. I've got the same situation as voiger :/

voiger

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »

After the install, have you rebooted when it finishes? Is your HDD still blinking "like crazy" when you reboot?
I've reinstalled avast once again, now run installation as an administrator.
In the end of installation process avast performs an express scan of my system, so HDD led blinks really like crazy. Express scan finishes. I wait until led stops blinking. Click "Done" - oops! - "CAvastTrayIcon: AvastUI.exe - Application error". Reboot. Error appears again when avast starts.

webik

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »
In my case the same. Scanning is ok so UI/GUI is the problem.

reisender67

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 06:07:06 PM »
Hello,

I have a similar problem with the GUI.
I can start the GUI and it crashes after some time at the Status page with the same error message.

See here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93898.msg747603#msg747603

Greetings
Christian

voiger

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »
I can start the GUI and it crashes after some time at the Status page with the same error message.
No, the error message is not the same. It's only similar. It have different title and content. And an address of the instruction is the same to the address of the memory it's trying to read in my and webic's cases. And in your case the addresses are different.