Author Topic: My Avast Firewall Doesn't Scan Anything (Doesn't work) [Avast IS v7]  (Read 10524 times)

Hermite15

Re: My Avast Firewall Doesn't Work ( Avast IS v7)
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 11:34:37 PM »
Try using ccleaner (http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner) to clean up any leftover registry keys.

won't change much I fear ... also, @the OP, if you run Ccleaner, don't delete registry keys globally there, look for Avast stuff only (while it's not installed).

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 11:35:50 PM »
Done it but still no difference.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 11:38:46 PM »
Any other things I can do???
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

ady4um

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 12:00:22 AM »
In theory, the following procedure should work:

1_ Download http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and the avast installer (so to reinstall anew after the procedure).
2_ Boot into Windows Safe Mode (WSM for short here).
3_ Uninstall avast using "Add/Remove Programs", if possible.
4_ Reboot again into WSM.
5_ Run aswclear for avast 7.
6_ Reboot again into WSM.
7_ Run aswclear for avast 6.
8_ If you ever had installed or updated from other older avast versions (like v.5. or even v.4.), then repeat the last 2 steps - ie the reboot into WSM and run aswclear - selecting each time each version of avast.
9_ Reboot again into WSM.
10_ Set Windows Explorer to show all "System" and Hidden" files, and to show known files' extensions.
11_ Search for any folder with a name containing "avast*" and/or "alwil*". For example, "Alwil Software", or "avast5".
12_ Delete those folders found in the previous step.
13_ Search for files starting with "asw*" inside "C:/windows/system32/drivers/".
14_ For each file found in the previous step, right click -> properties. If the file is from "Alwil" or "Avast", delete the file.
15_ Reboot into Windows Normal Mode.
16_ Select the setup.exe installer of avast. Right click on it -> properties -> UNBLOCK (if the button is not grayed out).
17_ Select the setup.exe installer of avast. Right click on it -> "Run as administrator" if such option is available. If it is not, the simply "Run".
18_ Once the installation procedure finishes, wait until the HDD led stops blinking "like crazy" (as oppose to blinking infrequently as usual).
19_ Reboot.
20_ After the first reboot, use the system as usual. Test it. Avoid rebooting immediately. Keep testing. No need for immediate registration nor avast accounts. Leave it for when all is fine and really working correctly.
21_ After a couple of hours, reboot and test if any strange quirks show up.
22_ Report back.

Hermite15

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 12:06:41 AM »
In theory, the following procedure should work:

1_ Download http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and the avast installer (so to reinstall anew after the procedure).
2_ Boot into Windows Safe Mode (WSM for short here).
3_ Uninstall avast using "Add/Remove Programs", if possible.
4_ Reboot again into WSM.
5_ Run aswclear for avast 7.
6_ Reboot again into WSM.
7_ Run aswclear for avast 6.
8_ If you ever had installed or updated from other older avast versions (like v.5. or even v.4.), then repeat the last 2 steps - ie the reboot into WSM and run aswclear - selecting each time each version of avast.
9_ Reboot again into WSM.
10_ Set Windows Explorer to show all "System" and Hidden" files, and to show known files' extensions.
11_ Search for any folder with a name containing "avast*" and/or "alwil*". For example, "Alwil Software", or "avast5".
12_ Delete those folders found in the previous step.
13_ Search for files starting with "asw*" inside "C:/windows/system32/drivers/".
14_ For each file found in the previous step, right click -> properties. If the file is from "Alwil" or "Avast", delete the file.
15_ Reboot into Windows Normal Mode.
16_ Select the setup.exe installer of avast. Right click on it -> properties -> UNBLOCK (if the button is not grayed out).
17_ Select the setup.exe installer of avast. Right click on it -> "Run as administrator" if such option is available. If it is not, the simply "Run".
18_ Once the installation procedure finishes, wait until the HDD led stops blinking "like crazy" (as oppose to blinking infrequently as usual).
19_ Reboot.
20_ After the first reboot, use the system as usual. Test it. Avoid rebooting immediately. Keep testing. No need for immediate registration nor avast accounts. Leave it for when all is fine and really working correctly.
21_ After a couple of hours, reboot and test if any strange quirks show up.
22_ Report back.

@ the OP : just ignore the above ... I mailed a dev, he will help you. This might be tomorrow, so just stay calm until then ;) ... this just a firewall problem, your life doesn't depend on it.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 12:39:04 AM »
You posted that too late. I DID all 22 steps AND IT STILL DIDN'T WORK. What an earth is wrong?

Hermite15

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 12:51:18 AM »
You posted that too late. I DID all 22 steps AND IT STILL DIDN'T WORK. What an earth is wrong?

just wait until tomorrow, it's almost 1am here in Europe. Lukor (the avast dev in charge of the firewall) will probably come here and help you. In the meantime,  use the system where Avast runs fine, and stop worrying that much ok? ;)

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: My Avast Firewall Doesn't Scan Anything (Doesn't work) [Avast IS v7]
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 12:53:57 AM »
Okay, will do. I'm in Europe too. Nearly 12 PM here.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 06:10:03 AM »
Hi Alikhan,
most probably the firewall was not installed at all. Could please send me your setup.log file (stored here: "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\setup.log" ). There should be notes about installed drivers and fails. We might be able to find out which component of the firewall fails to install and what is the error code it displays.

You can also open CMD.EXE and type the following commands, all these services should be installed and running:

SC QUERY aswndis2

SC QUERY aswfw

SC QUERY "Avast! Firewall"

If any of these command displays anything different than:

C:\>SC QUERY "Avast! Firewall"

SERVICE_NAME: Avast! Firewall
        TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
        STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

then we have a problem.

Please post the log and output from these commands. Thanks.
Lukas

mail: rypacek (at) youknowwhere

Hermite15

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »
@lukor thanks for posting ;)
@alikhan please do exactly what Lukor asks you to do

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 12:10:08 PM »
Thank you for helping me, Lukor.

The setup.log ( Link to mediafire since the log was too big to be uploaded here) : http://www.mediafire.com/?nzxzzfcf5lak8bz

Here is a printscreen showing all the queries being ran in cmd. : http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mxn1iq&s=5

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »
What else do I need to do?

Hermite15

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »
What else do I need to do?

wait for Lukor's feedback ;)