Author Topic: avast! Free Antivirus 7 Incompatible with Microsoft Outlook 2000  (Read 1942 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PAuerbach

  • Guest
avast! Free Antivirus 7 Incompatible with Microsoft Outlook 2000
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:57:50 AM »
Earlier today, I upgraded to Avast Free AntiVirus 7, and my Outlook 2000 stopped working. Whenever I attempt to send or receive emails in Outlook, I receive the following error message:

The TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server. Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 98.139.215.231 (98.139.215.231:110), connect error 10061".(Account: "Yahoo Mail", POP3 Server:"plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com", Error Number: 0x800ccc0f).

The error goes away when I disable Avast's mail shields. This wasn't a problem for me in any earlier versions of the program.

Does anyone know if there's a workaround or a fix for this issue?

DarkRadience

  • Guest
Re: avast! Free Antivirus 7 Incompatible with Microsoft Outlook 2000
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:17:13 AM »
I don't use yahoo for very much, as you need to have the plus pack, or what ever is is called now days for pop3 mail forwarding.

But I would assume that Outlook needs to make a secure SSL connection to the Yahoo mail servers, trying looking under setting within Yahoo for a non-SSL or non-secure option, as Avast Mail Shield provides its own.

Other then that I am not sure.

PAuerbach

  • Guest
Re: avast! Free Antivirus 7 Incompatible with Microsoft Outlook 2000
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:25:03 PM »
I'm not  sure why this would have worked, but I might have solved my own problem.  I read elsewhere about incompatibilities between Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall, which I'm also running.  Sure enough, when I went to Comodo Firewall's summary screen, I saw that the firewall had blocked several "intrusions."  Each of these intrusions related to AvastSvc.exe.  As suggested in a couple of posts, I went into Comodo's Network Security Policy (under the Firewall tab) and Computer Security Policy (under the Defense+ tab) and deleted the entries related to AvastSvc.exe.  I then rebooted my computer and, voila, my Outlook mail is working again.

Hope this helps others with similar problems.