Author Topic: Avast is broken... any solutions?  (Read 10302 times)

lhui

Avast is broken... any solutions?
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:58:29 PM »
Avast's current status:

Do not tell me to click FIX NOW or start program or anything of that sort. It does not work.

Attempted to uninstall Avast:

Attempted to install Avast:

Any fixes?

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast is broken... any solutions?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 09:03:41 PM »

lhui

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Try this to see if it will help. https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1050
You may want to read my post again... don't think you understood what I was asking...

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:07:21 PM »
Try the following:

1_ download http://public.avast.com/~kurtin/part-setup_ais-570.vpx
2_ Set program updates and definitions updates to "manual" (both of them).
3_ settings -> troubleshooting -> disable self defense module.
4_ copy the above vpx file in your
c:\Program Files\Avast Software\avast*\Setup\part-setup_ais-570.vpx
(note I used "*" in case you have some number in that folder name).
5_ perform program update.
6_ wait for the program update to finish and reboot.
7_ reset the program update settings to "ask" and the definition updates to "auto"
8_ re-enable the self defense module.

Please report back.

lhui

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »
Doesn't seem like I have an Avast folder in neither my Program Files nor my Program Files (x86).

EDIT: I found the folder. It was under C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup. anyways says I need permission to move the file into the folder.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:15:21 PM by lhui »

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
Read again the instructions. You are skipping steps.

lhui

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »
I did read... not really skipping steps... I downloaded... Set them to manual... disabled... Tried to move file, but failed... I get:

Not sure what I missed there... mind telling me?

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 09:34:15 PM »
Right click the downloaded file -> properties -> UNBLOCK.

Then be sure to have avast settings with MANUAL updates (not auto nor ask) and reboot.

When you log in again, you need to be have administrator permissions so to move the file to that location. Continue with the steps from there.

Reetesh

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 09:36:43 PM »
@lhui....

uncheck "self defense" buddy

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 10:02:24 PM »
Try this to see if it will help. https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1050
You may want to read my post again... don't think you understood what I was asking...
I failed to read the entire post. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:03:56 PM by Charyb »

lhui

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 10:18:08 PM »
Just realized that no matter how many times I uncheck it and set auto to manual, as soon as I press OK, it reverts back to auto and checked.

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 10:25:22 PM »
Could you post a little screen shot? I don't think it would really help (we would need a video of it changing by itself, but I won't ask you that), but I'd rather be sure about what you are reporting. This is the first time I hear about that.

Just to be sure, I meant

avast main GUI -> settings -> updates -> "engine and virus definitions" -> manual.

avast main GUI -> settings -> updates -> "program" -> manual.

and then "OK" over the bottom area of "settings".

Is this strange behavior also happening in other settings (like the troubleshooting -> self defense module)?

lhui

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
I did exactly what you said and it is still reverting back. This includes the self-defense module as well.

ady4um

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »
Well, now I'm stumped about that. I'll try to find someone else that may know how to proceed.

itsjustme2

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »
if you want to use drastic messures, you can do the following guide which SHOULD let you install avast 7 without uninstalling the corrupted avast.
!!! THIS IS ON YOUR RISK !!!

1. - enter safe mode, delete Avast by removing C:\Program Files\Alwil Software directory (avast wont be able to lock you down, this is because avast isnt running in safe mode).
    - after that, go to start > search > search for "avast" and remove any files which come up in the search.
    - ok now go to start > search > regedit:
       *go to HKEY_USER... > software > remove "Alwil Software" registry directory.
       *go to HKEY_MACHINE... > software > remove "Alwil Software" registry directory.
2. go back to windows normal mode, go to c:\program files and remove to recycle bin the "installshield installation information" directory.
download avast 7 installation from the forum, install it (as an administrator) where you want, installation should be working now.

NOTE: by removing installshield directory, uninstallers for programs which were already installed on your computer will no longer work, and will need to be reinstalled/repaired in order to work.
In any case that you want to recover the ability to uninstall without repairing/reinstalling, recover installshield from recycle bin (which will also bring back the broken uninstall error of Avast and will revive the problem once again. you should recover the directory only if this guide wasn't helpfull for you.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:53:56 PM by itsjustme2 »