Author Topic: How silent is AIS  (Read 6036 times)

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: How silent is AIS
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 03:27:57 AM »
So you have several rules for IE9? Go to the firewall rules and at the bottom of the page is file details. Same file name and path? Screenshot?
No it didn't show any rules at all for IE9 but the popup came up for a new rule every time I opened it with the name of the program blank. I rebooted and now it shows a rule that says "friends in, Internet out" I had initially set the firewall on the Home setting and then changed it to Work after some rules had already been created. Maybe that's why?

Just set Avast firewall to Home profile and run/update all you programs...Avast will create best settings for these programs,than you can change security level to Public. I hope you are satisfied with Avast Internet Security ;)

Dch48

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 03:49:31 AM »
I can't change the settings for the Firewall. It's stuck on home and keeps reverting back to that every time it restarts.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 04:18:06 AM »
Did you perform a clean install or just insert the license? I would try another restart.

Now you can always run your browser virtualized.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:42:06 AM by Charyb »

chasevishnu

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 05:20:11 AM »
Avast is very silent and does all the tasks with minimum user interaction. It has a Game mode in which no notification is displayed while using full screen applications like games. So go ahead and use 'avast! IS' :)

Dch48

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 05:33:46 AM »
Did you perform a clean install or just insert the license? I would try another restart.

Now you can always run your browser virtualized.
I had to completely reinstall it. I had selected to remember the answer to the mode setting the first time and that's why it kept reverting back to the Home profile. This time I didn't tell it to remember so I can change it any way I please. The first install was simply an upgrade from Free. All I did was click on the license file and it upgraded automatically. All would have been fine if I hadn't chosen the Home profile and told it to remember the answer.  To get the installation file I had to use the link from the first page of the forum thread on the new release.   Everything seems to be okay now and for $29.99 for all 3 of the systems here, that's a very good deal. I just hope the renewal costs the same a year from now.:-).

I really have no need to run my browser sandboxed though. The safe browser deal is enough for when I'm shopping or accessing my banking site.

I also have found that on auto-decide it often allows all connections for things that don't need it. I have now turned the Windows Firewall back on so I'll know when things require an incoming connection and I can set everything else to outgoing only in AIS.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:41:07 AM by Dch48 »

Gargamel360

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 05:43:45 AM »
I also have found that on auto-decide it often allows all connections for things that don't need it. I have now turned the Windows Firewall back on so I'll know when things require an incoming connection and I can set everything else to outgoing only in AIS.
Do you have it set on "Home"?

Dch48

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 05:48:22 AM »
Do you have it set on "Home"?
No, it is now on the Work profile and it allows all connections on a lot of stuff by default that doesn't need to have incoming allowed. For instance, it allowed all connections by Ventrilo, a voice chat program that does not require incoming connections. It requires no exception in the Windows Firewall. I changed it to outgoing only in the AIS firewall. (Internet out). The program doesn't seem to be too "smart" in the auto-decide mode.

I don't quite understand what "friends in" means. Who would these friends be?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:02:56 AM by Dch48 »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 04:04:38 PM »
Go to firewall setting ->expert settings -> friends tab. the attached is from the help file.

If you want your rules tightened up, you should select public/high risk zone. This should take care of your inbound concern (for the most part). Allow the firewall to create new rules.

Go to the support tab in the GUI and download the user manual. It has info (limited) regarding this.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:45:01 PM by Charyb »