Author Topic: "Complete your upgrade to Avast! 7" message appears everytime  (Read 13056 times)

Swapnil99pro

"Complete your upgrade to Avast! 7" message appears everytime
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:23:11 AM »
I upgraded to Avast! 7 from Avast! FREE AV 6's built-in program updater. So far I really like the UI enhancements - but there is one thing that makes me crazy.
Everytime I start my computer the "Complete your upgrade to Avast! 7" message appears. It appeared once and I hoped it was gone - but it appears everytime I start my computer.
Also In the Task Manager a process avast.setup is displayed running for sometime after my computer starts.

Windows XP SP3

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: "Complete your upgrade to Avast! 7" message appears everytime
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 04:32:26 AM »
I swiped these instructions from another forum member. It's caused by an error in the avast5.ini file. (at step 4)

1. Avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> disable the self defense module and save settings (don't worry about the messages, accept).

2. search for the file "avast5.ini" (even if it is version 7 of avast); EDIT the file with notepad.

3. in "avast5.ini", look for the "[common]" section. There should be an entry named "ShowSetupOutro".

4. change the above entry "ShowSetupOutro" from 1 to 0 (zero).

5. save the file and reboot.

6. go back to avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> enable the self defense module and save.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:34:29 AM by Charyb »

Swapnil99pro

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:43:56 AM »
Thanks Charyb. It worked fine and now I don't receive the message anymore.  :) Any idea about avast.setup process - as that slows down my boot time. Actually it seems it halts the execution of start-up programs until it ends automatically.
Using Process Explorer is not an option - as the process ends before I can do something about it. Yet it's annoying to wait 20 seconds more than previously.

shamanshadows

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:50:36 AM »
i cant find the avast5.ini

Swapnil99pro

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:51:02 AM »
i cant find the avast5.ini
On Windows XP, the file is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast
On Windows Vista and 7, I am not sure but it should usually be in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast

Hectic4409

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:28:15 AM »
I ran into the same problem with the popup screen after upgrading to the newest version and rebooting each time. I uninstalled Avast. Then after I rebooted the computer, I did a search for ALL remaining Avast files and folders and deleted them. Then I downloaded and reinstalled the newest version of Avast. After re-registering the product and rebooting yet again....the problem was solved.

brian.C

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »
with Windows 7 at least on my Computer its located at

C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5

ShowSetupOutro is down at line 216 at least on my version.

I edited it using Edit+ and restarted and it was fine.

Only other niggle is the green tick gadget is not staying where I wish to have it - the old version was far better and never moved.

still its minor points .

Thanks to Charyb for listing the fix.

bjstef8

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »
I had the same problem. The way I solved it was by unchecking the two boxes on the bottom of the splash screen . If I recall correctly (now that the screen no longer appears) they dealt with using chrome as the default browser. The next time I booted up the screen was gone.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 04:12:38 PM »
I swiped these instructions from another forum member. It's caused by an error in the avast5.ini file. (at step 4)

1. Avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> disable the self defense module and save settings (don't worry about the messages, accept).

2. search for the file "avast5.ini" (even if it is version 7 of avast); EDIT the file with notepad.

3. in "avast5.ini", look for the "[common]" section. There should be an entry named "ShowSetupOutro".

6. go back to avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> enable the self defense module and save.
Thanks for the useful tip Charyb.

I had the same problem with a Windows XP SP3 computer. The nag screen had a checkbox for participating in the Community, which I unchecked but it returned after a reboot. I did it again once or twice and the checkbox disappeared but the nag screen continued. I then came here, found this thread, followed your advice how to edit the avast5.ini file and it stopped the nag screen, however... When I restarted my computer again it said my Web Shield was disabled. Looking at the Web Shield directly, it said it was running OK. Also when I attempted to tell it to fix it, the fix button was inactive. I found another fix button which was active and avast was apparently returned to normal. However checking my settings showed that the participation in Community checkbox had become checked (I unchecked it originally). So I'm not very confident that I have a stable install of avast7.

I will also mention that the avast7 upgrade on a W7 computer contributed to a total freezeup of that computer. So it appears that this version 7 upgrade is pretty buggy, causes problems, and may produce an unstable package. Maybe better to do as Hectic4409 suggests, uninstall the old version, then reinstall the new version clean(?). I'll definitely try that if there are any further quirks/problems.

In the meantime it looks like the avast backroom boyz need to burn a little more midnite oil!? ::)

castalla

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 04:34:59 PM »
So how do I edit the file if the system won't give me access????!!!!   I tried copying it out of the folder but nothing lets me edit the damned thing!!!

Poor program design!

JohnnyBob

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »
So how do I edit the file if the system won't give me access????!!!!   I tried copying it out of the folder but nothing lets me edit the damned thing!!!

Poor program design!

You have to use Notepad to edit the avast5.ini file. Nothing else will work.

If you're still blocked then you will have to do it as Administrator, or maybe in Safe mode, or some such...

mlr

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
if it won't give you access to save the file, try by opening your text editor first (I used notepad)  by right clicking, and then "Run as Administrator"  Once the program is open, find the file.  If you've been trying to save the avast5.ini file, it will probably already be pointed to the right folder.  Make the changes, and save. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Inishi

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 04:58:31 PM »

So my showsetupOutro value is 2. I tried setting it to 0, rebooting. It started without the message. Then I reactivated the self defense module, worked, shut it down. I turned it on again today, and the same Complete upgrade message popped up.
What gives?

pascal1947

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »
There must be something else.  My value for  ShowSetupOutro was already 0.  I had just booted for the first time today and got the usual offer from Avast to finish the upgrade to Avast 7 (I am already upgraded so far I can tell) with the adware for Chrome install checked.