Author Topic: Emptying the chest of the bad stuff  (Read 4728 times)

Brysail

Emptying the chest of the bad stuff
« on: March 10, 2012, 01:04:43 AM »
I just received a notice, alarm that a threat had been detected not to worry the file was put in the chest. How do I go about getting rid of the file all together, I don't want the thing on my computer? I noticed there were a couple of othere files in the chest I want to get rid of all of them,RIGHT? How do I delete the contents of the chest?
Thanks

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Emptying the chest of the bad stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:09:02 AM »
you right click the file in chest....and then you get a menu, but there is no rush to delete file(s) in chest
leave it for a couple of weeks before you do

Clean, Quarantine, or Delete?
http://antivirus.about.com/b/2007/03/11/clean-quarantine-or-delete.htm

Brysail

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:27:39 AM »
you right click the file in chest....and then you get a menu, but there is no rush to delete file(s) in chest
leave it for a couple of weeks before you ? ID this in case they are being used or are not bad..sorry there is more to this  I don't  know than know. ???

Jack 1000

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 05:14:02 AM »
"Move to chest" a.k.a "Virus Vault", or 'Quarantine" on other AV programs, is often the best option.  Only choose "Delete" if your AV program gives it as a recommended option.  "Move to Chest" is good, because it isolates the file from the rest of the system and any identity with the user is also removed when in the chest.  (All files are harmless in the chest.)

Repair or Heal won't work on a Trojan or Rootkit, because the file or nasty program itself is bad, there is nothing to clean.  Heal might work for other file formats.  Delete should be a last resort unless your software recommends it right away.  The file could be a false positive, and if a false positive is deleted, you have removed a good, and perhaps critical file.

What is your line of action for questionable files?  Here's mine:

1.) Recommend action from AV program.

If that fails

2.) Move to chest-The chest is nice too, because you can also send the file to the virus lab for further testing, if you think it could be a false positive.

If that fails.

3.) Clean, Heal, or Repair.  (Means the same thing.)

If that fails

4.) Delete

Jack