Author Topic: Uninstall utly can be dangerous  (Read 5020 times)

bazer

Uninstall utly can be dangerous
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »
had to uninstall version 7 and go back to previous version because of hanging issues etc, uninstalled using the uninstall utly but just chose all of  program files and lost most of my programs,
 I know it’s my fault should have cleaned my glasses, also I find even using the uninstall tool does not get rid of registry entry’s avast is a pig to uninstall lately, are the developers aware of this baz

Hermite15

Re: Uninstall utly can be dangerous
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:21:18 PM »
had to uninstall version 7 and go back to previous version because of hanging issues etc, uninstalled using the uninstall utly but just chose all of  program files and lost most of my programs,
 I know it’s my fault should have cleaned my glasses, also I find even using the uninstall tool does not get rid of registry entry’s avast is a pig to uninstall lately, are the developers aware of this baz

how did you manage to uninstall all programs, did you click on each entry, and confirmed, each time really ???  ;D ... not mentioning that only one program can be uninstalled at a time in Windows. Also, what does the Avast uninstall utility have to do with that ???

Offline BTIsaac

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:32:55 PM »
how did you manage to uninstall all programs, did you click on each entry, and confirmed, each time really ???  ;D ... not mentioning that only one program can be uninstalled at a time in Windows. Also, what does the Avast uninstall utility have to do with that ???

No he's right. He accidentally specified the Programs folder as the installation path for Avast. The removal tool specifically warns that all files in the specified folder will be deleted.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »

No he's right. He accidentally specified the Programs folder as the installation path for Avast. The removal tool specifically warns that all files in the specified folder will be deleted.

oops okay ... I've only had to use that utility once or twice, but that's right, you can specify the folder manually if needed ... other than that the appropriate folder is detected automatically. So may be Avast should change that for newbies, ie if no Avast folder is detected, the utility should send a message and self terminate.

MAG

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 01:37:19 PM »
Ignore - misread

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »
Not sure I follow this at all.

I have aswclear in my download folder.

After running for both avast 7 and avast 6 all the files in my download folder are still there.

it's not related to where the utility is located, but what folder location is specified when you launch the utility.

bazer

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »
This happened yesterday feel a little embarrassed, as I have been an electronic engineer for over 40 years, this is a powerful tool, and my last pro job was as a switch engineer for emergency control rooms,
 Anyway do feel avast could develop there own software to uninstall completely from the add remove option .as avast leaves a lot of remnants’ in the system baz

Offline BTIsaac

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 03:02:04 PM »
There are third party uninstallation softwares that remove specofoed programs competely, registry entries and all. I used REVO to remove AVG before switching to Avast.