Author Topic: Avast 6.x, 7.x -avoid Sandbox alert - developers  (Read 2076 times)

REDACTED

Avast 6.x, 7.x -avoid Sandbox alert - developers
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:31 AM »
Hello,

we do develop extension toolbar to Windows Internet Explorer, since version 7.
We do deploy our update.exe file to the AppData/Local (Win 7)

As we need to update our product, we automatically run the Update.exe from extension, but we got a message box saying, this is maybe unwanted application.

How can we officially avoid this notification?
Should we deploy our update file to another destination, give it some kind of certificate signature, let avast to test our file, to prove this is neither adware, spyware or whatever?

Thanks
Regards
Marek Sebera
marek.sebera@gmail.com
+420 608 929 608

P.S.: We can communicate in Czech language too if any helpdesk wants to contact us

Offline BTIsaac

Re: Avast 6.x, 7.x -avoid Sandbox alert - developers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
Just disable the Autosandbox feature. It should be under Additional Protection/Auto Sandbox (first tab). CLick the settings and uncheck the checkbox.

Most people here would probably recommend against it, but like I mentioend before, it's bound to be more trouble than worth.

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
You can contact avast and send them the sample at http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php?loadStyles

or by email at
 virus a/t avast d 0 t  c 0 m

Adding a certificate signature also contributes to decrease the possibility that your files would be "questioned", but I'm not saying everyone must do this; I'm just answering to your question.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
Just disable the Autosandbox feature. It should be under Additional Protection/Auto Sandbox (first tab). CLick the settings and uncheck the checkbox.

Most people here would probably recommend against it, but like I mentioend before, it's bound to be more trouble than worth.

Sorry, but this is not universal solution, as we need to distribute our installer globally, we need some general solution.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 12:02:27 PM »
Thanks for your reply, we are not recognized as virus. We are only suspected as possible unwanted application. So virus testing is not the option.

As it is possible for future purposes, that we change our updater application, i don't think, submitting it there will help us, even if they'd add it to virus database as trusted. As I said previously, we need more general solution.

You can contact avast and send them the sample at http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php?loadStyles

or by email at
 virus a/t avast d 0 t  c 0 m

Adding a certificate signature also contributes to decrease the possibility that your files would be "questioned", but I'm not saying everyone must do this; I'm just answering to your question.

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »
I understood that it is not being identified as a malware, but only as "suspicious / unknown".

I'm just a user, not an Avast Team member. The recent program update to avast 7 might have changed the way your files are analyzed. My guess is that avast should be releasing some new program update relatively soon, and I don't know if this would change the way your files are recognized or treated.

So other than contacting avast directly (maybe opening a ticket http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit ), I can't help you much more.