Author Topic: Manual updates of A/V definitions hang  (Read 15921 times)

Offline boombastik

Re: Manual updates of A/V definitions hang
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 03:09:55 PM »
I made a manual update .
Avast says that it updated to version 7.0.1409 like the foto
but after restart is 7.0.1407

Riv3r

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 03:13:38 PM »
we are working on the fix. All the updates were broken due to broken vpx package uploaded to the servers. It has nothing to do with the version 7.

Sorry about that :(
Lukas.
surely it wasn't known that it was broken til after problems were reported?

Riv3r

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 03:14:58 PM »
Riv3r just get off Avast! forum

we do not need u disrupting our posts here

thx lukas.hasik for updating us on the issue  :)

whoa, calm down little guy.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 03:24:27 PM »
Riv3r, I suggest you calm down - your comments are hardly helpful in solving the problems.
Since there were quite a few reports of your posts, consider this a warning before ban.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:32:43 PM by igor »

Riv3r

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »
Riv3r, I suggest you calm down - your comments are hardly helpful in solving the problems.
Since there were quite a few reports of your posts, consider this a warning before ban.
Thanks.
Sorry, i was AFK and my friend decided to have fun with the forum while i was away. to my mistake, i didn't sign off, My apologies.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »
@Riv3r - no, we released final release not a beta. And yes, there are some bugs but those are not connected with current "update problem" at all.
Quality is also a feature.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 05:43:57 PM »

skay_baltimore

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »
I've been using avast free version for several years now, and for the most part I have been very satisfied. I did run into that problem a while back when everything started getting flagged due to a bad virus definition update, but that problem was resolved relatively quickly. Last night, I ran into the problem with the program hanging when trying to update from 6.0.1367 to the new version 7 program. Hopefully, that problem is/will be resolved quickly, but I did have to run the avast uninstall utility in Safe Mode on my laptop and desktop to remove v. 6 because I'd read that a failed update could mess up the program, and then I decided to reinstall the old 6.0.1367 that I got from an old programs site. I sincerely wish that avast would make previous versions available since there do seem to be problems from time to time when new versions are introduced, and I don't think a user should have to search around elsewhere to find previous working versions. Just my 2 cents; no flaming intended at all.

(Note: To the poster who have the problem of installing v. 6.0.1367, only to find that v. 7 had automatically been updated: Go into Settings/Updates, and select "Manual" in the PROGRAM update section. That will prevent automatic PROGRAM updates, while allowing virus definition updates to be installed automatically.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:33:47 PM by skay_baltimore »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »

(Note: To the poster who have the problem of installing v. 6.0.1367, only to find that v. 7 had automatically been updated: Go into Settings/Updates, and select "Manual" in the PROGRAM update section. That will prevent automatic PROGRAM updates, while allowing virus definition updates to be installed automatically.)
The default setting for program updates is set to ask so if an automatic update occurred, it's because those setting where changed.

I'm sure in most instances, the user saw the availability of an update and selected to update. (I did the same thing)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

sedina

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 01:21:45 AM »

RF

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 02:05:33 AM »
I said I would report back to the thread I started, and so I want to do that now. I wish I had better news to report. I'm glad to hear, assuming it's accurate, that the problem was with a bad A/V definition rather than with the updated program, but for those of us who got in trouble, like myself, the consequences could still be unpleasant.

V.7 would not uninstall from add-remove, so rather than do the planned remove and reinstall, I decided the best way out was to do a system restore to prior to the time I upgraded, which was about a day earlier, and continue on normally with V.6 for awhile. System Restore worked, and I thought I was in the clear because both add-remove and the program said that V.6 was now installed. But the problems w/ V.7 got transferred to V.6, because V.6 now wouldn't update either, and it too was now uninstallable from add-remove. Since I already had the Avast uninstall executable for V.6 stored on my hard drive I tried to go into safe mode to run it, but in doing so made an operator error - totally my fault, but I don't do this very often so it is not a habit - and more or less borked my computer, which thereafter refused to get past the opening Thinkpad screen. Fortunately the computer repair shop managed to save the installation and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'm posting this from a spare computer, without it I'd have been up the creek these past two days.

I really appreciate that Avast's business model includes a free version, so you won't find any vitriol emanating from here, but I have to tell you that this is going to be the most expensive free software I have ever used.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 04:25:17 AM »
feel sry about ur experiences but it is also a fact that some users out of the whole user base in all kinds of software will experience serious problems on

their systems. eg. if u see other antivirus forums, especially when new releases come out, the number of users with serious problems increases temporary

as the software is new (betas will never catch all bugs due to the sheer number of different combination of systems)

so it does not matter if ur paying for a software or if the company follows a pay for use/freemuim business model, what most matters is that the

developers are willing and trying their best to solve bugs asap

ahwphx

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 04:48:26 AM »
Same problem here...manual updates hang...can't repair install so have to use aswclear and reinstall avast. Then have to change registry to get mail shield working!

This happened on both Win7 computers that were updated.

Avast folks....the workarounds required are beyond the capabilities of the majority of your users. I realize this is a free product but this reflects a real problem in your deployment of this release. I have been using Avast for many years now and have never seen such a mess!

RF

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 04:35:44 AM »
Follow up from OP:

I retrieved my PC from the shop today. V.6 is now installed on the computer. But the problem still remains.

My conclusion, based on the narrow prism of happened to me, is that once you are saddled with the manual definition update bug, it is there to stay, and one should expect to live with it until the problem is solved at the server end, should that occur, or until you install a new OS. Based on my experience, I think that the best way to deal with it is to start the definition download, and if the process hangs in the initialization phase, just cancel it - the quicker the better - and start it again. You should then be good to go. This is an annoyance, but it has worked for me so far. 

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 05:02:53 AM »
did u try the fix provided by pavels?