Author Topic: Manual updates of A/V definitions hang  (Read 15828 times)

RF

Manual updates of A/V definitions hang
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
Hello -

Everything working well here w/V.7 on 32 bit XPP except that manual updates hang. My experience so far is that on the first try, the update gets stalled on Step 1/2. If I cancel, close and then try again, either the update is completed successfuly, or it gets to Step 2/2 and stays on that without giving notice that the update has finished. In that case, if I close and then try again, it gives me the standard notification that occurs after a successful update.

I'm not really sure whether the above applies to all attempts at updating, or just the ones where there is an actual update available. Probably the latter.

At the moment I'm running web, mail, file system, behavioral and script shields, sandbox set to "ask", no rep services or streaming updates.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
Re: Manual updates of A/V definitions hang
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:24:41 AM »
Could you upload your setup.log? It should be at c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\

thank you
Lukas.
Quality is also a feature.

DarkRadience

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:26:30 AM »
I clean install might fix this

Step one
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Step two once rebooted

Avast! Free Antivirus 7.0.1407
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

Run the installer and use the custom install option of you wish, I recommended it always.

RF

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:41:27 AM »
The installation was off line and went very smoothly. In the past, my experience has been that early problems in new releases have "disappeared" over time. That may be the case here, as the last definition update went smoothly, although it was only a very small amount of data (16kb, I believe).

I'm going to see what happens over the next couple of days, and if the problem hasn't gone away (or even if it has), I'll post back.

At 1.99mb, the setup file was too large to post (max. allowable = 192kb).

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:48:48 AM »
The installation was off line and went very smoothly. In the past, my experience has been that early problems in new releases have "disappeared" over time. That may be the case here, as the last definition update went smoothly, although it was only a very small amount of data (16kb, I believe).

I'm going to see what happens over the next couple of days, and if the problem hasn't gone away (or even if it has), I'll post back.

At 1.99mb, the setup file was too large to post (max. allowable = 192kb).

Post your setup file @ http://www.mediafire.com/.  They will accept files larger than forum maximums.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

BruceJudge

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:45:06 PM »
Issue # 1:

Installed v7 last night.  Windows 7 Ultimate crashed (Blue Screen of Death) on first boot right after two programs that are in the startup group were flagged by Avast (both I wrote using AutoIt).  Upon reboot Avast allowed me to give instruction on how to handle those two programs.  Moments later Win7 Ultimate crashed again (Blue Screen of Death).  Third boot ok and hasn’t crashed again.

Issue #2:

Much the same as OP by RF, in that a manual update of the definitions or the program gets hung on step 1.  Stopping and restarting has no effect.  The Update panel says the current definition version is 120226-0 and program version is 7.0.1407.  It also says the Last Update Attempt was 2/26/2012 10:52:22 PM, but I’ve just tried and it’s 2/27/2012 5:25 AM.

eltonzoto

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »
Hi,

As others mentioned in this topic, I've the same problem with Avast 7 Free Edition! Update hang when I try it via manual mode. Plus, if I go to Add/Remove and try to change/uninstall Avast it gives me an Error: http://s6.postimage.org/b1dfj5bjl/avast_error.png

I installed and reinstalled many times, with packages from different sites (cnet, filehippo  etc.). This issue is happening to all my 3 PC. Two of them wih WinXP-SP3, and one with Win7Ultimate-SP1.

It's a definitely a bug! So until Avast Team will fix this problem, I'll stay on Avast 6  ;)!

true indian

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:30:45 PM »
well did u guys make a upgrade from version 6 as that causes odd issues?

please follow the instructions given here:
www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Find and remove the folder located at:

C:\programdata\avast software -this folder needs to be deleted
also please delete the asw2rdr.sys driver from c:\windows\system32\drivers folder

then make a clean install.

Joseph Collins

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:42:42 PM »
You know what's funny?  What's funny is that it's apparently our fault that we're having all these problems because instead of making a clean installation, we let the program update itself from v6 to v7.  What's funny is that a program that was made to be updated apparently can't be updated as of this version.  What's funny is that despite never having any problems whatsoever since v4, I and other people are experiencing insurmountable issues in this version.

Like the other people in this topic, I myself can neither manually nor automatically update either the virus definitions or the program itself.  And the best answer so far is "make a clean uninstallation and re-download all the virus definitions thusfar"?  Has anyone actually tried this yet?  Given that the updates won't even initialize on either version 6 nor 7 (from what I read in other topics), I'm thinking it's a server-side issue, not a program issue.  And the server-side issue has been in effect since at least mid-day yesterday, when the newest version of avast! 7 was put out.

Gentlemen, I am disappointed with how this program has began working.  All these fancy new features like the Cloud server and the new auto-sandbox stuff?  Entirely useless if the program itself doesn't work properly.  And none of these issues were caught during beta why?

Oh well...  At least version 7 is still somewhat protecting my machine despite the fact it can't be updated.

BruceJudge

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »
Yes, Joseph, I just tried true indian’s suggestion, even though I agree the way it was stated is a bit insulting, and I agree with you that we should not have to do that unless instructed by the v7 installer.  That put behind us, I had to reboot in safe mode because the Avast Uninstaller did not work, and had to run aswclear.exe which I downloaded from the link true indian provided, followed all instructions to delete folders (but the file asw2rdr.sys did not exist and I assume it was removed by aswclear.exe), rebooted normally after the uninstall, and installed v7 from scratch (did not reboot after that because Avast did not say to do that).

That went much better than last night without any BSOD’s this time, but the updating issue remains.  However, the first time I tried to update the Engine and Virus Definitions, it did NOT get stuck and said I have the latest.  But the Update Program still hangs up, and now so does the update Engine and Virus Definitions, just like before.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:33:26 PM by BruceJudge »

eltonzoto

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
@true indian

First move was to upgrade from version 6 to 7. Second move, reinstalled an fresh copy. I did that after I uninstalled the old using REVO Uninstaller. Also in the end I used Avast Uninstaller, which removed some left over, empty dir.

I think the problem appear when you try to update program( setup files), not the definitions. In my Avast it stopped when it was downloaded the file "part-jrog-a7.vpx".

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 02:52:07 PM »
we are working on the fix. All the updates were broken due to broken vpx package uploaded to the servers. It has nothing to do with the version 7.

Sorry about that :(
Lukas.
Quality is also a feature.

Riv3r

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »

Like the other people in this topic, I myself can neither manually nor automatically update either the virus definitions or the program itself.  And the best answer so far is "make a clean uninstallation and re-download all the virus definitions thusfar"?  Has anyone actually tried this yet?  Given that the updates won't even initialize on either version 6 nor 7 (from what I read in other topics), I'm thinking it's a server-side issue, not a program issue.  And the server-side issue has been in effect since at least mid-day yesterday, when the newest version of avast! 7 was put out.

Gentlemen, I am disappointed with how this program has began working.  All these fancy new features like the Cloud server and the new auto-sandbox stuff?  Entirely useless if the program itself doesn't work properly.  And none of these issues were caught during beta why?

BINGO! you can clean install all you want, but the fact is, it appears avast is still in beta, and they just slapped a stamp on it, calling it a final release. it's not client side it's server side. but everybody wants to pretend that it's something it's not. lol

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 03:03:20 PM »
Riv3r just get off Avast! forum

we do not need u disrupting our posts here

thx lukas.hasik for updating us on the issue  :)

gilmour

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »
lukas

Is this also same issue with trying to update from 1407 to 1409?
When I try to do the program update from within Avast it tries to download some of the files but I keep getting a 'Last encountered error' - that the package is broken

Win7 x64
Clean install of AIS v7 1407