Author Topic: Version 7 does not seem to install properly  (Read 3337 times)

barrgi

Version 7 does not seem to install properly
« on: February 26, 2012, 08:49:01 PM »
Since installing Version 7 a couple of days ago, now every time I start up my computer, I get a flash screen telling me that installation is nearly complete and I press the button saying "finish", but next time I start up the machine I get the same message. Does anybody have any ideas as to what is wrong here and what I can do. It's very annoying!

Cheers,
Geoff

Hermite15

Re: Version 7 does not seem to install properly
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:54:19 PM »
1 disable the self-defense module in avast UI
2 go to C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini
3 switch the value of ShowSetupOutro=1 to 0

Big Ian

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »
I have the same problem as the OP,splash screen at every start up.

The remedy suggested does not work as it is already = 0.

Any other solutions ??

Windows 7 64-bit
Service Pack 1

Ian

dagnabitboy

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:33:28 PM »
I also have the same problem, but the offered fix does not make any sense.  I cannot find any "self defense shield" to disable, nor does the suggested folder/file to change exist on my computer (xp sp3).  Does any one else have some suggestions?  Thanks!

edit:  I searched for the avast5.ini file and found it in:
c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\alwil software\avast5

and the value is already set to 0

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:46:18 PM by dagnabitboy »

Offline BTIsaac

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:34 PM »
I also have the same problem, but the offered fix does not make any sense.  I cannot find any "self defense shield" to disable, nor does the suggested folder/file to change exist on my computer (xp sp3).  Does any one else have some suggestions?  Thanks!

Settings/Troubleshooting tab/ uncheck "Enable Self Defense Module" it's right there in the middle, pretty hard to miss.

If you can't find the folder try Programs/ALVIL software instead. If you still can't find it, just look for the file through the search menu. If you still can't find it, just do a clean install. That's what I did.

Seriously, how many of these threads are there?

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »

I suggest coffee (to wake up) .. and another tone ::) ... as to the path, I suggest that find your way through your own operating system, if it's not too hard. You're on XP ... my path was for Vista/Seven.

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »
@BTIsaac on XP it's in documents and settings ...all users >>> application data etc...

barrgi

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:10:36 PM »
1 disable the self-defense module in avast UI
2 go to C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\avast5.ini
3 switch the value of ShowSetupOutro=1 to 0

Thanks, I did all this, and it seems to have worked, though the value in the .ini file was already set to "0".

However, when I disabled the self-defense module, I was warned that I was doing something very risky and asked if I REALLY wanted to do this. What else could I do but say "yes"? Now when I open Avast I am notified that "the self-defense module is off". So, what does that mean, in practice? What exactly IS the self-defense module and am I taking a big risk by not having it on? And what is the point of a module that has to be switched off before the program will work properly?
Geoff

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:04:13 PM »
you just disable that module exceptionally to be able to modify files, then you re-activate it ;)

Gooob

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »
Excellent solution!

I am still a bit new to these forums, but enjoying your posts Logos.
Thanks, yet again!   :)

barrgi

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:55:28 AM »
you just disable that module exceptionally to be able to modify files, then you re-activate it ;)

Yes, but as I said, I didn't need to modify the .ini file, because the parameter you mentioned was already set to "0". So the only change I made was disabling the self-defense module. If I enable it again, will my setup then work normally? That seems somewhat unlikely.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.