Author Topic: Avast - Unprotected, will not turn on (2)  (Read 17498 times)

rk Avast user

Avast - Unprotected, will not turn on (2)
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:51:09 PM »
I recently had to do a restore on my computer because an update mucked some thing up. I restore to a previous time and now AVAST won't turn on.  I tried going to add/remove to repair it, but it won't let me do anything to the program because it "cannot read the program data from [filepath]". I tried uninstalling it so I could reinstall, but it won't let me do that either. Short of manually deleting all the avast files from my program files, I'm not sure what to do. To cover my bases, I have already rebooted a few times, tried downloading and installing a new version in hopes that it would uninstall the old one (no luck), and tried to re-start the program from within the user interface. Suggestions?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast - Unprotected, will not turn on (2)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:00:30 PM »
did you try the uninstall tool ?   http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

rk Avast user

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:58:49 PM »
I just tried uninstalling it with that, and it told me "the avast! self protection module is enabled", and how to disable on the troubleshooting menu. I disabled it, but it automatically enables itself again. No good.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:58:29 AM »
Okay, I'll start a new topic even though it's the same problem.
Ah, but there can be different OSes involved, with different settings and different preferences. :P

and thank you for starting your own topic. We will try to help resolve your issue.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23:54 AM »
I just tried uninstalling it with that, and it told me "the avast! self protection module is enabled", and how to disable on the troubleshooting menu. I disabled it, but it automatically enables itself again. No good.

aswclear should be executed under Windows Safe Mode.

cathyhoc

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:37:36 AM »
I am also having this problem since a system restore earlier today.  I am thinking of trying to uninstall avast using the aswclear utility, but do not have any records of my most recent purchase of the software to use to reinstall or download it afterwards.  Is there any place in the software that shows this information?  I have avast 6.0.1367.0 and operating system is windows 7.  Thanks.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:08 AM »
@cathyhoc,

For paying customers, you can request for your license to be re-sent to the same email you originally provided http://www.avast.com/resend-license-paid.php.

But you don't really need to uninstall anyway. Go to "Add/Remove Programs -> avast -> change/remove -> scroll down and "repair". Once the process finishes, please reboot.

Paavo

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
Same problem.

Did a system restore and about 24 hours later avast froze.

Tried to uninstall but received the following in a window with the following title in the Blue bar at the top:
avast! Setup Fatal Error

The message text reads:
Error reading product data from "C\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\setup\".Setup cannot continue.

Running XP

Have version 6.0.1367.0 of avast! installed
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:26:38 PM by Paavo »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:48:10 PM »
Same problem.

Tried to uninstall but received the following in a window with the following title in the Blue bar at the top:
avast! Setup Fatal Error

The message text reads:
Error reading product data from "C\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\setup\".Setup cannot continue.

Running XP

If you are not able to uninstall normally then you can use this tool to uninstall avast in safe mode http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility, first download a fresh copy of the latest avast and the removal tool supplied and save, then reboot your system into safe mode and run the uninstall tool for all versions of avast ever installed 4,5,6, once completed reboot back to normal mode and run a cleaning tool such as CCleaner to tidy up.
Now install your fresh avast copy, hopefully version 7  :)

Paavo

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »
Same problem.

avast! Setup Fatal Error

The message text reads:

Running XP

If you are not able to uninstall normally then you can use this tool to uninstall avast in safe mode http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility, first download a fresh copy of the latest avast and the removal tool supplied and save, then reboot your system into safe mode and run the uninstall tool for all versions of avast ever installed 4,5,6, once completed reboot back to normal mode and run a cleaning tool such as CCleaner to tidy up.

Craigb & Pondus... thanks a million guys. I uninstalled all things avast, reinstalled and all seems fine.

Cheers.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »
Same problem.

avast! Setup Fatal Error

The message text reads:

Running XP

Craigb & Pondus... thanks a million guys. I uninstalled all things avast, reinstalled and all seems fine.

Cheers.
Your welcome :)

rk Avast user

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 04:15:17 PM »
Same here - I used the program to uninstall it in safe mode, and it looks like I've successfully removed all things Avast from my pc. Now to reinstall, with fingers crossed that I don't have the same problem with the latest version. Thanks for your help everyone.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:29 PM »
Same here - I used the program to uninstall it in safe mode, and it looks like I've successfully removed all things Avast from my pc. Now to reinstall, with fingers crossed that I don't have the same problem with the latest version. Thanks for your help everyone.
Let us know the result :)
The best things in life are free.