Author Topic: avast 7 locks up outlook 2010 64-bit  (Read 10812 times)

Taker

avast 7 locks up outlook 2010 64-bit
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:54:34 PM »
OK here's the deal, I've been using avast for a long time and it's been great, the avast 6 program got the update and everything went smoothly, so no issues with the update. however i use outlook 2010 daily and leave it running pretty much all day every now and then it locks up and goes into not responding the only way i can get it to work again is to disable the avast mail shield and outlook starts working again, after that i re-enable the shield and a couple hours later (sometimes sooner) outlook locks up again, also avast seems to think its getting double the email that is coming in, another thing i notice is that half the emails i get is thrown into the junk folder and the other half i get is nothing but gibberish usually something like ?'s or !'s.

i know that when new software is pushed out there are going to be problems due to the fact that there are different computer and user configurations. i was wondering if avast was going to release a fix and if there's anything i can do on my end.

thanks for any input

BTW, i have a Intel core-i7-quad with 4 gigs of ram and windows 7 ultimate 64-bit service pack 1

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
Re: avast 7 locks up outlook 2010 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:33:58 AM »
would it be possible to get a dump of the blocked process?

thank you
Lukas.
Quality is also a feature.

dagrev

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:45:36 AM »
For some reason there seems to be some sort of issue with ver7 and Outlook 10.  I can't even get the mail shield to work when I do a clean install.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94356.0  Betas seemed to have no problem but the release showed up some problems.

dlcs

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
My Outlook 2010 has also been locking up, especially since the latest update.  Now it's marking things as spam or phishing that aren't -- things that I usually receive email from like yahoo groups, my own website, my husband...  This is NOT good.  I checked the whitelists and blacklists and did find my husband in the blacklist (?) and a couple of things in both lists, and a couple of things on the whitelist that were seriously NOT supposed to be there!  Also, since the latest update, Outlook refuses to sort properly - no rhyme or reason to why things go where.  I do have a lot of rules and a lot of folders.

Does Avast have this problem with Thunderbird?  I've been considering switching .... but if it's got the same issues, I sure don't want to waste the time.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »
My Outlook 2010 has also been locking up, especially since the latest update.  Now it's marking things as spam or phishing that aren't -- things that I usually receive email from like yahoo groups, my own website, my husband...  This is NOT good.  I checked the whitelists and blacklists and did find my husband in the blacklist (?) and a couple of things in both lists, and a couple of things on the whitelist that were seriously NOT supposed to be there!  Also, since the latest update, Outlook refuses to sort properly - no rhyme or reason to why things go where.  I do have a lot of rules and a lot of folders.

Does Avast have this problem with Thunderbird?  I've been considering switching .... but if it's got the same issues, I sure don't want to waste the time.

dlcs, are you running the latest program version 7.0.1426 (released just today)?
It's supposed to fix this very issue you're talking about (among many other things).

Thanks
vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

dlcs

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 06:24:28 PM »
No, Vlk ... I guess not!   ;D

I always let it update when it asks and I haven't gotten it yet.  If it doesn't notify me in a couple of hours, I'll go get it myself.

Whew!  Wasn't really looking forward to doing battle with changing my email client.    THANKS!!

skoogle

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »
A couple of previous posts (mine included) with the same issue possibly related to the "insert notes" options. Turning them off is the only thing that stops it.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94790.msg758734#msg758734

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95170.msg759091#msg759091

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »
Sorry skoogle, but this is an unrelated issue. Please stick with the thread(s) that discuss the issue.

Thanks.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

wws

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
Having problems with outlook locking up with win7 64 bit and latest update on FREE version which was updated this morning. All lockups seem at random and have to use task manager to close program and on one occasion required complete reboot of PC. Very frustrating Avast been number one for me for sereral years but cant afford down time when very busy may have to look elswhere if issue not resolved soon. Thoufght this release was supposed to fix these issues.,

bcas1

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 09:18:40 PM »
I am having exactly the same experience as wws.  I am also running win7 64 and everything was working fine until an update this morning.  Outlook 2010 locks up and I have to use Task Manager to shut it down and restart it. Is there an easy way to revert to the previous version until this issue is resolved?

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:25:43 PM »
Would it be possible to get a dump of the locked Outlook for further analyses?

thank you
Lukas.

bcas1

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »
Sorry, can't help - Lockups became too frequent so I uninstalled Avast! and switched to Windows Security Essentials.  No problems since switching.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 02:38:41 AM »
Something strange with my Outlook 2007 at Windows 7 32 bits.
The antispam bar just disappeared... And restarting Outlook does not help.
Also experiencing troubles on closing Outlook very very slow.
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 08:58:31 AM »
Tech, what is your Outlook build? Any updates in last days? I expect that the avast is 7.0.1426...
Could you check that the avast's Outlook plugin is still presented in the list of plugins. Could you check Event Viewer? Logs? Any special steps to reproduce?

thank you

Offline IvanM

• Avast team
  • Senior Project Manager
    • Avast Software a.s.
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »
Something strange with my Outlook 2007 at Windows 7 32 bits.
The antispam bar just disappeared... And restarting Outlook does not help.
Also experiencing troubles on closing Outlook very very slow.

Hi Tech,
I have looked at your screenshots you attached...
What another plugins for Outlook you use?

Thanks.