Author Topic: V7 high CPU usage  (Read 2956 times)

Frank1

V7 high CPU usage
« on: February 26, 2012, 01:22:07 AM »
I upgraded to V7 yesterday on my Win XP SP3. The install went o/k and appears to work ok.
However, the computer has slowed down to some degree because the avast.service uses about 12-25% of CPU when computer idles. Sometimes it runs up to 75% with some other apps running.
It is difficult to work on the computer this way. V6 didn't exhibit this problem.
Is there anything I can do about this?
Thanks

YoKenny

Re: V7 high CPU usage
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:29:08 AM »
How much RAM on your system?
What is the CPU speed and type?

Frank1

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:42:03 AM »
I have 512Mb ram and CPU is Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz.
It's a slow machine, I know. But V6 didn't exhibit such high CPU usage.
Thanks

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:52:21 AM »
Well a Celeron is a low end CPU and it would perform better with at least 1 GB RAM.

I upgraded my XP Pro system to 1.5GB RAM because I found that with only 768MB RAM that it originally had it was horribly slow.

RAM is very inexpensive and very easy to install.

Frank1

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 02:13:14 AM »
I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 notebook computer and I'm not sure it can take more RAM. I would like to increase it. However, I don't want increase RAM so that I can run a faulty installation of Avast. This is why would like to know if Avast V7 is more CPU intensive than V6, or is just my installation. It might be easier to just downgrade back to V6?

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 03:16:49 AM »
any other realtime programmes running at startup? this may not necessary be antispywares/antimalware tools (eg. defragmentation tool?)

try disabling them and see if Avast! uses less cpu cycles.
this is because there maybe odd conflicts between Avast! 7 and the old programme u have while Avast! 6 may not

if the above is true, u may want to do a bug report with ur operating system/screenshots  ;)
if the above does not hold, maybe u want to stick to Avast! 6 until the resource usage is improved

on the sidenote, Avast! 7 on my pc uses less than 10% cpu when i am surfing the net but my system startup is a bit slower, about 5s?

clubhouse

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 03:27:55 AM »
I've gone back to V6 due to this excessive cpu usage.......I haven't added any other software between V6-V7, and adding more RAM doesn't answer the question....why is V7 final causing this problem?....the V7 betas were fine...I'll go back to V7 AV pro once the fixed 'final' is released.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 03:42:19 AM »
at clubhouse: try a clean uninstall/install of Avast! 7

1. Download a fresh Avast! 7 package from http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download (to reduce chance of corrupted install)
2. uninstalling Avast! the normal way with windows
3. run Avast! uninstall utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (please do it in SAFE MODE!   )
4. run the uninstall utility (2 TIMES) total, one for Avast! 7
5. reboot and go into safe mode once more, second time for Avast! 6
6. reboot again, this time to normal windows mode
7. install the fresh package
8. please report ur findings here =)

Frank1

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 03:46:19 AM »
It looks like I'm not the only one.
This downgrade looks like a big job.
I'll persevere for a while, waiting for an upgrade to V7. If I get sick of waiting I'll go back to V6.
Thanks a lot.

clubhouse

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »
at clubhouse: try a clean uninstall/install of Avast! 7

1. Download a fresh Avast! 7 package from http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download (to reduce chance of corrupted install)
2. uninstalling Avast! the normal way with windows
3. run Avast! uninstall utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (please do it in SAFE MODE!   )
4. run the uninstall utility (2 TIMES) total, one for Avast! 7
5. reboot and go into safe mode once more, second time for Avast! 6
6. reboot again, this time to normal windows mode
7. install the fresh package
8. please report ur findings here =)

Thanks, I see VLK has acknowledged there is a problem with V7 and is hoping to address it via updates hopefully today :)

Frank1

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 03:56:52 AM »
An interesting change. This morning I noticed that the CPU load by avast! Service has dropped to virtually zero as shown by Taskinfo. The computer is running a little better as expected.  I made no changes so I don't know what is going on. The Avast version has not changed (7.0.1047). Is it possible that Avast was doing some virus checking in the background after the new installation?