Author Topic: WARNING, your system is UNSECURED.  (Read 5434 times)

Greitas

WARNING, your system is UNSECURED.
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:24:07 PM »
So I finally get the update errors fixed and update to avast 7 and now this.

There's a big red X on my avast icon So I open it up and in the summary tab it says "unsecured Your system is not protected. Please use the Fix Now button  to start protecting your system". Clicking the button prompts an UAC box but clicking yes does nothing.
Just under this it says "The avast! antivirus program has been stopped, or is in an inconsistent state. Please re-start the program to resume protecting your system." clicking the start now button has the same effects as the fix now button.
Right clicking the tray icon and going to avast! shields control gives the option to "Enable all shields (8 disabled)" but again clicking it does nothing.
Going to the shields tab in the UI shows the status of each shield as unknown. Clicking the start button opens a box that says "Unable to start the [respective] Shield! Shield unreachable."

I opened the settings and went to the troubleshooting tab and attempted restoring factory defaults, which returns with "Error during resetting to default settings. The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error."

Trying to do a repair through the control panel gives this "avast! Setup Fatal Error   Error reading product data from "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\setup\". Setup cannot continue."

Anyone know how to get everything back up and running?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: WARNING, your system is UNSECURED.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »
From looking at your error reading i can see you still have the old Alwil file associated name so it might be best to do a clean install imo, download the removal tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe and a fresh copy of avast 7 and save  http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.avast.com%2Fiavs5x%2Favast_free_antivirus_setup.exe&product=FA-AVAST&page=download-software&locale=en-ww&avast=0, now try to uninstall avast via remove programs - if it does uninstall or doesn't the next step is to reboot into safe mode and run the removal tool for all versions of avast you have used - 4,5,6,7, once completed reboot back into normal mode and install your fresh avast7.

Greitas

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »
I was hoping I wouldn't have to do all that but it looks like that's what I'll have to do. I think this may be my problem; http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=88315.0
There was a guy here earlier repairing a printer and it's possible he did a system restore. When I look in the avast folder everything has a file version of 6.0.1367.0 I'm assuming those file versions should match the program version?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »
A clean install as i instucted is definitely the best way to allieviate any further issues, yes the file version should match the program so if you now have version 6 when you did have 7 then there has been a restore taken place.

Greitas

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 08:25:02 AM »
A clean install as i instucted is definitely the best way to allieviate any further issues, yes the file version should match the program so if you now have version 6 when you did have 7 then there has been a restore taken place.

When I boot in safe mode my mouse doesn't work. Is that normal?

Greitas

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »

When I boot in safe mode my mouse doesn't work. Is that normal?
Nevermind, switched the port an it works now.