Author Topic: Alternate "Voices" no longer work after updating to Avast 7  (Read 4277 times)

Tuddley3

Alternate "Voices" no longer work after updating to Avast 7
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:57:38 AM »
Since updating a few days ago to Avast 7, I have been unable to change voices or install new ones. I love this feature as it keeps things fresh and fun. If you are not sure what I mean, I'm talking about these... http://www.avast.com/fun . Currently I show I have version 7.0.1407, and everything seems to work fine except the voices feature  :'(

Someone on Facebook just said "As of right now, Avast 7 is having tons of problems. I am surprised that you was able to upgrade your Avast 7 b/c they shut down the update program until they fix it". He also said to wait or uninstall 7 and download it from the main website (As I just updated from the popup on windows start up.

Thanks,
Todd
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:00:15 AM by Tuddley3 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Alternate "Voices" no longer work after updating to Avast 7
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »
What exactly does it mean, "unable to change voices"?
Does the installation (of the soundpack) fails - if yes, does it show any error?
Or does it succeed, but doesn't play anything (does it show up in Settings / Sound as being installed)?

Tuddley3

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:11:45 AM »
Here are some screenies to hopefully answer your questions Igor...

Unable to change voices refers to the downloadable custom sound packs which I've been using for about a year(Ever since last years "Pirate Day" event). When I updated to Avast 7 last week, the following happened(See screenshots below)

Trevbob

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:51:09 PM »
I would suggest re-downloading those installer packages if you have had them for a while. I was able to get the alternate voices to install without a problem yesterday (I have avast! 7.0.1414).

My question, though, is how do I switch between installed voices? I found a couple that I liked but you can only use the one installed last. If I wanted to go back to my original "pirate talk" voiceover, I have to remove all custom voices. Does that mean I have to re-install the voice I want to use every time? Even if I have several installed, the only option I have is to "delete custom sounds". I cannot switch between them.

Thanks,
Trevbob

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »
I would suggest re-downloading those installer packages if you have had them for a while. I was able to get the alternate voices to install without a problem yesterday (I have avast! 7.0.1414).
Not sure how this would work really, since they are a zipped file with a custom extension. (containing the sound files)
I think that perhaps, there is another issue.

That said, I can't replicate it. Soundpacks install and work for me.

Would the location make a difference? Program Files\AVAST Software\avast voices may be a troublesome location?
Try running the soundpack from another location, i.e. Desktop

My question, though, is how do I switch between installed voices? I found a couple that I liked but you can only use the one installed last. If I wanted to go back to my original "pirate talk" voiceover, I have to remove all custom voices. Does that mean I have to re-install the voice I want to use every time? Even if I have several installed, the only option I have is to "delete custom sounds". I cannot switch between them.

Thanks,
Trevbob
This is because of the way that it works. The sounds are extracted from the soundpack to the sounds\custom folder. avast checks if there are existing files in the custom folder, and if not, plays the normal sounds.

At any one time, there is only one soundpack installed, so to change, you will have to install a soundpack again (possibly having to delete the previous one from the settings)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:13:54 PM by spg SCOTT »

Trevbob

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:12:57 PM »
Wow, yes, those are definitely just archives containing the sound files.  That was a stupid suggestion! :) Anyway, now I know that the avast! program is only meant to carry one custom sound pack.

Thanks

Tuddley3

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »
Wow, yes, those are definitely just archives containing the sound files.  That was a stupid suggestion! :) Anyway, now I know that the avast! program is only meant to carry one custom sound pack.

Thanks

Instead of installing directly from the site, download them instead and keep them in a directory so you can easily switch back and forth between them. All you have to do is double click on one to install it.

As far as my error problem, I still show the error when clicking on the sound pack of my choice, but they work.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »
The error message appearance should be fixed in the latest beta.