Author Topic: Virus chest  (Read 10881 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Virus chest
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »
I have never seen that before with the mouse not working in the chest, but in other areas it is.

Having said that, what you are showing in image two isn't the virus chest (see image1 example) as the virus chest remains within the avastUI.

What you have looks more like the Results window, after an avast scan or if you use the Scan Computer, Scan Logs, select a scan that has been completed and select View Results. Now in this window the data is historic, so you cant make and changes/selection as it isn't active and that is why the Apply button at the bottom of the windows is greyed out, inactive.

I have run a test scan with some eicar samples and used the Scan Computer, Scan Logs, select a scan that has been completed and select View Results option I mentioned and the mouse isn't totally inactive, but because this data is historic (not from an active/open scan) then it is correct not to allow any selections. However if you look at image2, you can see my mouse pointer and you can see that where it moves it does track what line it is on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

piniy

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 10:32:53 AM »
I think I don't get it right, where are those files now, shouldn't thay appear in avast!\maintenance\virus chest ? last 2 scans report as of 27-28/02/2012 both show in red that threats where found. Scan result show 3 files from C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files and the Apply button at the bottom of the window is green, active. Those files still exist now 28/02/2012 11:30. The avast!\meintenance\virus chest - is empty...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »
I don't know where they are as A) I can't see the action taken column in your screenshot and B) even if I could I wouldn't know what the language meant.

If when these were first detected you elected to Delete (not good as a first action, you have none left), then they would be gone. If you elected to send them to the chest, then they should be there, but you have to open the chest to see them. Since they aren't in the chest and you say they are in the original location, then you can't have chosen Delete or Move to Chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

piniy

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
I have taken NO action so far. As I wrote the scan result report of last two days show 3 suspicious files the scan criteria specify: fix-move to chest-delete. When double click the scan result report I get a new window showing those 3 files but trying to implement any action outcomes: error access denied furthermore in the avast!\maintenance\virus chest window there is nothing and the files are actually in the origin folder C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
If you have taken no action, then the files would be in their original location and not in the chest.

Unless the scan results window is the one that opens when the scan completes (you can't close the scan), you can't take any action as it is working with historic data, that is just imported from the log file.

If you are opening it from the Scan Logs section, see image, this is just data imported for completed scans into the display window, you can't take any action here.

piniy

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 07:33:55 PM »
Thank you DavidR for being so patient.

I figured, files scanned and found at risk should be tempered according to criteria I chose in scan definition, in this case - fix\move to virus chest\delete. But, again, no action was taken by avast! and now I can't take any action too...

Having scanned now specificaly the folder C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files -  nothing suspiciouse found...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 08:27:51 PM »
You're welcome.

If having scanned the C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files and nothing found, it would generally indicate that the primary detection was a false positive. This is why it is important not to delete as a first action.

So, when you first run a scan, on completion of that scan if there have been and detections the 'live' results window should open. The default action (pre-selected) is move to chest as in my second image in Reply #15 above, if that is the action you want, then just click the Apply button. You can only do this immediately the scan ends and before exiting the scan by clicking OK.

piniy

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »
He.. He..

I am never there when scan completes, I schedule scans to run by night aka when I am not active...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 08:54:11 PM »
Yes, but if you don't have the computer shut down after the scan, the avast scan and the window should be present.

Or you could change the settings in your scan to automatically apply actions (image1) and then select the action to take (move to chest, etc.). There are three sub-groups, Virus, PUP and Suspicious and you can select a different action for each sub-group (image2, though I would never delete.

So essentially you are left with:
Repair, in most cases this won't do anything as it is only truly for Virus infections.
Move to Chest, best, safest option as you can reverse the action if a false positive.
No Action, the file remains in the original place and when you view the Scan log after you are going to have to rescan those areas and move them to the chest if detected.

piniy

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 10:44:19 AM »
So the hall thing is having to rescan every time I'm not present at actual scan time?

In that, case how come when I rescanned nothing was found ?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 02:05:19 PM »
1. If you aren't present at the time of the scan and you have it close/shut down after the scan, you can't take any action as no action has been selected and Apply hasn't been clicked.

So the only way to have action taken is by scanning, you don't have to run the whole scan as you have the list (scan log) to see if there was a detection. You can go to those locations and right click on the file or folder and use that scan to Move to the Chest.

Or you can do as I suggested earlier change the scheduled scan settings to take Automatic action.

2. As I mentioned earlier:
Quote from: DavidR
If having scanned the C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files and nothing found, it would generally indicate that the primary detection was a false positive. This is why it is important not to delete as a first action.

Now I hope you can see why the best action is move to chest, because you have options. When you run your scan and get your list, if there are files on there that you have had for some considerable time (and haven't changed) without detection, then you need to investigate as there is a prssibility it could be a false positive.

piniy

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
Finaly today's scan moved those files to chest

Tnx for every thing,

Piniy

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 08:16:44 PM »
You're welcome.