Author Topic: Avast 7 slowing down Vista and 7 with mini-freezes  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Deer

Avast 7 slowing down Vista and 7 with mini-freezes
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:01:01 AM »
i have 2 computers, one has vista and the other has windows 7. both of these computers started experiencing mini-freezes ever since upgrade to avast 7 free. on my desktop that has vista, the slowdown and the mini-freezes which last about a second or a fraction of a second, happen mostly during startup of the computer. it takes about 5 minutes however for it to stop having those mini-freezes. if i open firefox during this time, there is a lot of mini-freezing of screen, yet the mouse still moves.

i just upgraded the laptop with windows 7 to avast 7 and it also started having the same problem. this is annoying. things worked flawlessly before on both computers.

i use windows firewall on both computers at the same time as avast 7.

what is causing this slow down that seems to happen mostly during the first 5 minutes of boot? this is quite annoying because i am used to turning on the computer and being able to launch firefox and browse the web within a minute from pressing the power button or so.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Avast 7 slowing down Vista and 7 with mini-freezes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
I suggest you try a clean install. This can be done by uninstalling avast, followed by installing a fresh copy. Be sure to keep a backup of your license file if ever you are using a paid version of avast.

You may get a fresh copy of installation files here.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

bjmill

Re: Avast 7 slowing down Vista and 7 with mini-freezes
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »
I was having the same issue.  All of my programs were running slow after the automatic update installed version 7. The icon seemed to be spinning constantly. I followed the advice to do a clean install of Avast Pro Antivirus 7 this morning.  That seems to have fixed the problem.  Thanks for the advice. This is on a windows 2000 SP4 operating system.