Author Topic: good job avast.  (Read 9755 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: good job avast.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 04:45:13 PM »
I have been using Outpost firewall Pro for more years than I have avast (almost  8 years), from when I first started with Outpost version 1.0 free, until purchasing Outpost Firewall Pro 3.0 up to the version 7.5.1 and believe me Outpost has had their share of problems over the years.

So much so that I don't install program updates for some time after release, I still haven't installed 7.5.2, but I'm still using it as it is a fine firewall. There are times when sh1t happens in security based applications, but that has to be balanced out or we wouldn't be with any single product for long at all.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 01:56:20 AM »
The best things in life are free.

Treborprime

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 03:48:18 AM »
okay I admit that off and on, rarely though, security software messes with Windows activation process ... so your scenario is possible.

ps: yep, I've seen it happen with Comodo in the past.

The only thing that can cause windows to go back to non activated status is a hardware change.

Anti Malware software shouldn't be touching that layer.

Treborprime

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 03:53:57 AM »
Venting its 1 thing but moving on is another. I have been user since version 4.6 and to be honest for most part it was ok until version 6 when the extras was added (sandbox, webrep, gadgets) I don’t even use it, but with custom installation you can manage what you want install and what not.
But with this version!! I have 6 PC’s and still remaining 2 avast licenses of 290 days or so, I’m done.
Yesterday I have purchased 2 new licenses of Outpost Security Suite and it works very impressive, why Outpost? Well I did my research and even at their forum seems that if they have issues, the issues are minor and Agnitum takes their time before releasing new versions, unlike others have always some problems that are leading to their PC screw-up’s.
Goodbye avast, do yourself a favor and stop adding function that are not as good as you would like to think.

As a consumer the only way to effectively demonstrate your displeasure is to vote with your dollars and take them elsewhere. I agree and think avast got to ambitious with their feature set in this version. I switched to avast a few years ago because their base functionality was rock solid - catching viruses and cleaning them off and prevention. Starting with version 6 we saw a definite degradation of Avast's performance in its base functions.

I think its time that Avast steps back and re-evaluate where they want to take this product. They then need to make sure adequate testing is done before doing such a major agressive release such as version 7.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »
They then need to make sure adequate testing is done before doing such a major agressive release such as version 7.
We've done and a lot.
Anyway, sorry for the inconveniences.
Did you already tested the update/upgrade fix tool that is posted in the forum?
The best things in life are free.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »

I think its time that Avast steps back and re-evaluate where they want to take this product. They then need to make sure adequate testing is done before doing such a major agressive release such as version 7.
Just to update you - it was no fault in the avast 7 program itself, it was a corrupted installer that caused all the issue's so it does pay to be patient and get all the facts before posting comments.

Offline Vapor

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »
I totally agree with you, I’ve been avast user since v4 and there is no secret and you don’t have to be genius to see that  version 7 is a big failure, and I’m sure avast developers will   fill that mistake of prematurely releasing this version.

Just to update you - it was no fault in the avast 7 program itself, it was a corrupted installer that caused all the issue's so it does pay to be patient and get all the facts before posting comments.
There is no reason to get defensive especially when counting the # of users that complaining about numerous issues and the issues are not minor, so grow up mentally and face the unpleasant reality ;)

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
at Vapor: have u observed previous major releases? the forums will always be filled with issues the 1st week or so after them...this is because forums are for reporting issues by large, not to praise Avast! (of cause u can...).

similar incidences also happen across all antivirus products especially on major releases.

observing the betas, i felt that they are well paced except for the RC version which i do felt was rushed.

there maybe slightly more bugs due to both local and server side problems coinciding but Avast! 7 is not a failure

UserA789

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 06:26:53 PM »
What do you mean it modifies the license key and sets it to expired?

I'm no expert, but I remember reading a few times that if too many programs are removed/added, at the same time, Windows needs to be reactivated. I doubt this has anything to do with Avast at all.
Actually, if you dig around on the forum, this was a problem with Vista(pre SP1) and previous versions of Avast as well.  If you dont have your sevice pack installed IT DOES change the key, or something, that tells Windows its no longer valid.  Dont know if this the OP is on Windows 7 or Vista, but I dont recall this ever being fixed either.

Hermite15

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »
IT DOES change the key, or something...

... yeah ... or something ;D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
I totally agree with you, I’ve been avast user since v4 and there is no secret and you don’t have to be genius to see that  version 7 is a big failure, and I’m sure avast developers will   fill that mistake of prematurely releasing this version.

There is no reason to get defensive especially when counting the # of users that complaining about numerous issues and the issues are not minor, so grow up mentally and face the unpleasant reality ;)
Im not getting defensive, im simply explaining the facts that caused the problem so the same also applies to yourself in getting all the facts before posting a reply because the reality is the problem has been fixed  :)

Treborprime

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 03:11:05 AM »

The fix has done nothing to address the current problems with my test machine. Has a new version of the installer been posted for download?

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 04:21:44 AM »
did u tried both versions of the fix?

if u did please post back at the appropriate topic (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94514.105) about your system specs, (eg. windows 7 32bit sp1, any programmes running at startup)
if any errors, please post a screenshot of the error

be prepared to do a complete fresh install of Avast! though
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:23:50 AM by AntiVirusASeT »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 08:05:49 AM »

The fix has done nothing to address the current problems with my test machine. Has a new version of the installer been posted for download?
The new versions are here

http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.avast.com%2Fiavs5x%2Favast_free_antivirus_setup.exe&product=FA-AVAST&page=download-software&locale=en-ww&avast=0

http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.avast.com%2Fiavs5x%2Favast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe&product=PA&page=download-software&locale=en-ww&avast=0

http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.avast.com%2Fiavs5x%2Favast_internet_security_setup.exe&product=IS&page=download-software&locale=en-ww&avast=0