Author Topic: Computer does not shut down after upgrading to Avast 7  (Read 15360 times)

xyzzy

Computer does not shut down after upgrading to Avast 7
« on: February 27, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
Hi

Two PCs: Windows 7 Pro SP1 (AIS) and Windows Vista Business SP2 (Free). After upgrading to v7, they often cannot shut down. Simply the Windows closing screen hangs indefinitely.

Have you seen something similar?

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Computer does not shut down after upgrading to Avast 7
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 02:19:45 PM »
Odd. Was avast installed in compatibility mode? Or are there any customization made during avast's installation?
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

xyzzy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »
No customizations have been made during original installation.

Now also just a standard self-update has been executed.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
Please try a clean a install.

Uninstall you current installation of avast (be sure to keep a backup of your license). Download a fresh copy of avast here. Then install the downloaded file.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 02:00:54 AM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

tyraarane

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 06:36:19 AM »
I just registered to say I'm having the exact same issue. Avast updated itself to v7 today; nothing else om my system changed. No custom installation, nothing, just a standard upgrade. When I shut my desktop down tonight, it stayed frozen at the "Shutting down...." portion for over 10 minutes. No HDD activity, just hung. I did a hard shutdown and am not a happy camper. My system usually takes less than 30 seconds to shutdown.

Specs: Win 7x64 Pro
8GB RAM
Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0Ghz
AMD 6970
...no other AVs. Windows Firewall is running.

I'll try a clean install in the morning I suppose. I'm tempted to roll back to v6 until all this madness is sorted out proprerly. V7 seems like a hot mess.

xyzzy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »
I've reinstalled AIS7 (not the clean way, just deinstall from Control Panel and install), and so far 3 shutdowns have been ok.
One thing I've changed in the installation is switching Autosandbox to Ask.
We'll see.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »
Please check also this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94316.0
If anybody were able to supply the dump of the frozen system, it might help us find out what's going on there.

tyraarane

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »
Quote from: xyzzy
I've reinstalled AIS7 (not the clean way, just deinstall from Control Panel and install), and so far 3 shutdowns have been ok.
One thing I've changed in the installation is switching Autosandbox to Ask.
We'll see.

I doubt Autosandbox has anything to do with it. I've had that disabled since pretty much day one.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to do a clean uninstall/reinstall...we'll see how it goes. FWIW when I booted my system this morning, it didn't act like it had shutdown improperly last night, but it did record a Kernel Power event ("The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first") to the Event Viewer.

No other avast related errors I could find in the Event Viewer. The system wasn't sluggish to boot or anything, although once I actually got to my desktop it seemed like avast started hogging way more system resources than it does usually. HDD activity was markedy higher too.

If anybody were able to supply the dump of the frozen system, it might help us find out what's going on there.

If it happens again after the clean uninstall/reinstall, I'll try.

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 02:24:45 PM »
If it happens again after the clean uninstall/reinstall, I'll try.

If you reinstall, I doubt that fix will help you in any other issue you may see with avast. The fix is for those that can't update the definitions, and the update procedure seems to be "initializing..." or alike. For other issues, please report back.

charonicus

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 03:28:24 PM »
Just popped by to say I too have this issue.

Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
Free version of Avast.

It popped up on Sunday asking me to click finish to complete installation of Avast 7. Since then, my computer hung at shutting down Sunday night and Monday night. I killed it with the power switch, expecting Windows to complain the next morning but the PC starts up fine. Can't find anything unusual in the event logs. No obvious problems.

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
@charonicus,

Is it updating? A new program update should be release relatively soon (but don't ask me when, as I don't know).

You say the system is booting up normally. Is there any message when you shut down? Any memory dumps you could send to the FTP in avast?

charonicus

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 04:03:35 PM »
I just checked and I'm on 120228-1 (released 28.2.2012). I'm guessing that came down when I booted up today.

No message or memory dump or anything from the shutdown so completely in the dark there. I don't have a lot of time on my hands to troubleshoot either, but if that update is new then hopefully it'll shut down as normal when I try it later. I'll be sure to pop by tomorrow afternoon and confirm (or not as the case may be. :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »
I just checked and I'm on 120228-1 (released 28.2.2012).

You should be ok then.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

tyraarane

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 04:28:08 PM »
If you reinstall, I doubt that fix will help you in any other issue you may see with avast. The fix is for those that can't update the definitions, and the update procedure seems to be "initializing..." or alike. For other issues, please report back.

Sorry, I'm not following you here. Are you suggesting the uninstall/reinstall suggestion put forward by an avast team member is essentially useless in my case? Or are you referring to the memory dump?

In any case...I've done a ring around the reinstall rosie. Scrubbed the original avast 6/7 install off my system, then reinstalled avast (current version is now 7.4.1407, virus definitions version 120228-1), rebooted and tweaked my preferences back to what they were...also disabled Reputation Services and cloud updates for giggles. And because I never wanted nor need them anyway.

Turned the system off after that and it shutdown cleanly. Of course, that was only after about 15 minutes of uptime. We'll see how it behaves when I go to shut it down again tonight, after it's been up for a longer time and with a lot more services loaded, unloaded, etc.

Also, belated apologies for the typos in my earlier two posts. I was posting from my phone.