Author Topic: Where to download Avast 6 - Avast 7 is too buggy at present  (Read 30474 times)

nord

Re: Where to download Avast 6 - Avast 7 is too buggy at present
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »

Freebird>> I myself never download a new version that had just come out.   Just a rule of thumb, that’s all.   I had no intentions of installing 7; I wasn’t having any issues with 6.   But I wasn’t offered and “upgrade”, 7 had been installed when I went to “update” the program.   I didn’t have a say in the matter.    After running into problems, I uninstalled 7 completely, even going into the registry and deleting all leftover entries.    I always keep older versions of programs so I went back and installed 6 again.   No problems until I did an update.   Low and behold, 7 was back.   I give up!!!

Freebird,

Had your problem; only thing that worked for me was to go to Settings/update and tell it to use Manual on program updates.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:31:30 PM by nord »

dex650

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
...After running into problems, I uninstalled 7 completely, even going into the registry and deleting all leftover entries.    I always keep older versions of programs so I went back and installed 6 again.   No problems until I did an update.   Low and behold, 7 was back.   I give up!!!
John
Hi Freebird,
In Settings, switch off auto-update and use Manual update.
Also, when you manual update, make sure you click the 'Update engine and virus definitions' button and not the 'Update Program' button.

Rick F

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
This has been posted before...

FileHippo DOES still offer avast - 6.0.1367, but not from the usual green download arrow.  Click below the green arrow on the "Filehippo mirror site".  Here's the link, then see attached image:

http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/11113/

nord

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »
This has been posted before...

FileHippo DOES still offer avast - 6.0.1367, but not from the usual green download arrow.  Click below the green arrow on the "Filehippo mirror site".  Here's the link, then see attached image:

http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/11113/

Sorry to disillusion you, but unless they changed it from yesterday, IF you click on the righthand side to get the old versions, you get  Avast 7, not Avast 6. Am not going to try it again for a couple of reasons. Avast, in its infinite wisdom, does not include the file version in the download. It just says setup_av_free.exe which IMO doesn't give you enough information, particularly considering the posts we have all seen here. Second, I had to kill the install after it started to give me Avast 7. Not fun.

Rick F

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 05:03:47 PM »
The green arrow download for ver 6 is wrong (you'll get ver 7), but not the mirror site.  Check the file size of the green arrow and you'll see over 71meg, whereas the mirror site is correct... ver 6. This was proven to be correct by several users.  Yes, the green arrow link is wrong and probably just a messed up link when they added ver 7.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:06:19 PM by Rick F »

chimp78

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »
Rick,
Thanks for clarifying it up.

Rick F

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »
Rick,
Thanks for clarifying it up.

You're welcome.  That's why I added an image because many normally just click on the green arrow once you find the version you're looking for.

albsurfer

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
I got the same errors as Freebird and Dex650 when trying to install/uninstall.  I couldn't even get it to uninstall in WIN 7 ULTIMATE SAFE MODE, not even using the utility.   I had to manually delete all ALWIL and AVAST entries from the registry and the folders from my harddrive.  I then had to do a WIN RESTORE to a previous point and installed AVAST! 6.  It auto-updated to V7 even though I set it not to auto-update.

V7 isn't even close to being ready-for-use!!!!!

I made the mistake of not looking at the small type that said it was installing Chrome (I run IRON never Chrome) and so I needed to get a new copy of 6.0.1367.... FileHippo said it had the older version, but it didn't, click on old versions gave you the new one. Finally, because of the post here, I used OldApps and that worked eventually.

Uninstalling was a long ordeal. Chrome was not easy to remove, RevoUninstaller and RegSeeker combined along with finding some startups for Google Updates that had to be removed (part of the Chrome install).

Finally I am back to Avast 6 and happy, relatively. Hate the "you must manually opt out" check marks to avoid doing Chrome. Don't think much of Avast 7 in its early stages and will not ever use CNET again for downloads.

Oh yes, it also installed a Google Toolbar in Internet Explorer... Think I have a new term for Avast's install process:

ExploitWare

FWIW

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »
Why didn't the uninstall utility (aswClear) work? Any error messages? Did you have the latest version, which supports avast 7?

Also, you're saying that avast auto-updated to v7, even though it's set to only Ask about program updates? Very strange, this is the first time I hear about this problem...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

skay_baltimore

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »
I made the mistake of not looking at the small type that said it was installing Chrome (I run IRON never Chrome) and so I needed to get a new copy of 6.0.1367.... FileHippo said it had the older version, but it didn't, click on old versions gave you the new one. Finally, because of the post here, I used OldApps and that worked eventually.

Uninstalling was a long ordeal. Chrome was not easy to remove, RevoUninstaller and RegSeeker combined along with finding some startups for Google Updates that had to be removed (part of the Chrome install).

Finally I am back to Avast 6 and happy, relatively. Hate the "you must manually opt out" check marks to avoid doing Chrome. Don't think much of Avast 7 in its early stages and will not ever use CNET again for downloads.

Oh yes, it also installed a Google Toolbar in Internet Explorer... Think I have a new term for Avast's install process:

ExploitWare

FWIW
It's human nature to associate the product name Avast 6.x/7.x Free with freeware. Softpedia lists Avast 7.x Free A/V as Ad Sponsored software. That's a much more accurate term than "freeware".

Saulius

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 05:19:03 PM »
A few opt outs does not make freeware Ad sponsored IMHO.

Personally I find nothing wrong with installing Chrome with Avast! and have it update through it since I prefer anything other than IE, however the only exception I would have is if it were automatically made the default browser but that option occurs during the Chrome installation itself doesn't it? I, like most people absolutely hate extra Toolbars that come with freeware, but Avast! 6 & 7 allow you to opt out all of these things unlike some programs, although I'll admit I would prefer them or anything extra to be opt ins instead.

People should read reviews and especially instructions for how to avoid undesirable options for freeware and trialware downloads before installing and anyone who was upgrading from 6 to 7 ought to have remembered to be careful while going through the procedure and imparticular to look out for that Google toolbar box they've got at the top to opt out of the default acceptance. Probably would have been better for Avast! to have shown things more clearly in the GUI I reckon, it was easy to miss.

I agree with nord, never use CNET again for downloads, it has a lot of real PUPs IME.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:21:54 PM by Saulius »

skay_baltimore

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »
A few opt outs does not make freeware Ad sponsored IMHO.
For the most part I agree. Ad Sponsored is usually associated with advertising banners being plastered all over the page. This is somewhat of a gray area here, for which there's no clear-cut definition. And for the most part, while I don't like having to untick options before installing a program I like, I've gotten used to it, and accept it as part of the installation process. (One reason I always choose "Custom" install vs. Express or Automatic install.) But the thing that stands out in this instance is the fact that the Chrome opt-out was linked to the auto-update Avast process, and it never was before. And while you might not be bothered by it, others have been bothered by it, and it should be the end-user's choice, not the company's. That's always been the biggest beef with MS -- the company makes choices for its users, instead of the other way around. Simply making it opt-in vs opt-out would have gone a long way to eliminate any of the backlash that's occurred over this issue, IMO.

Saulius

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 07:57:37 PM »
But the thing that stands out in this instance is the fact that the Chrome opt-out was linked to the auto-update Avast process, and it never was before. And while you might not be bothered by it, others have been bothered by it, and it should be the end-user's choice, not the company's.

I thought there was an opt out of using Chrome as the default for auto-updating Avast! and choosing either IE or something else and that it was the same in 6, but may be I don't remember correctly, so I'm sure it is the end-user's choice ultimately, only Alwil strongly oozes towards one here.

I agree, always choose the hassling "Custom" install with all programs for the sensible reasons you explain, (avoiding clutterware) btw what's with the orange exclamation mark icon and "Moderated"?

skay_baltimore

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »
But the thing that stands out in this instance is the fact that the Chrome opt-out was linked to the auto-update Avast process, and it never was before. And while you might not be bothered by it, others have been bothered by it, and it should be the end-user's choice, not the company's.

I thought there was an opt out of using Chrome as the default for auto-updating Avast! and choosing either IE or something else and that it was the same in 6, but may be I don't remember correctly, so I'm sure it is the end-user's choice ultimately, only Alwil strongly oozes towards one here.

I agree, always choose the hassling "Custom" install with all programs for the sensible reasons you explain, (avoiding clutterware) btw what's with the orange exclamation mark icon and "Moderated"?
I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but the other day I was looking through all of the options/preferences, and I saw something about Chrome and default browser in some section, I just can't remember which one. Prior to all of this, I never paid any attention to it because I've never had Chrome on my system(s).

(Sorry, but there's been so much going on the past week or so and some of this stuff is starting to all run together now. I've since uninstalled Avast, so I can't go back and check the options/preferences.)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 08:15:05 PM »
The company makes choices for its users
Sure. You're installing a free software, receiving free support... For that, there are some agreements that could allow the company to road. The details and aspects of these agreements always make the company to take decisions. You can't force a freeware product to be opt in, but you should allow the users to opt out ever.
The best things in life are free.